Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14361 - 14380 of 14428 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Took the 91S out for a nice drive in perfect weather today. Had to go to our big sailboat marina in town, Shilshole, to close up our little old sailboat for the season. Plugged in the cabin warmer, set out the drying pellets in their containers, and taped closed the cabin cowl vents. Luckily we don't have to pull the boat, as Puget Sound doesn't freeze in our winters.

Did see a very nice looking white 164S parked not far from my car. Looked very nice. Wonder if they are on the BB.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I started working on 1957 Sprint restoration and changed oil on my friend's 1948 Bentley Mark VI. The cost of rebuilding a Bentley or Rolls-Royce engine is much more than rebuilding an Alfa Romeo engine.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Started to fix the oil leak on the GTV6, figured that the "while I'm here" items exceeded my time for the weekend and switched to the 164LS. Started to restore the engine wiring harness, reminded me of trying to get to the crab meat at the crab feed...also why I hate crab feeds.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My Spider sat virtually un-used for the past five years mostly because the starter was struggling and barely cranked the motor over. It always fired off on the second or third crank but they were agonizingly slow and taking it anywhere just seemed sketchy.

So a couple of weekends ago I decided to just deal with it. Pulled the starter out, disassembled it, cleaned up the bushings, the bendix and the commutator, put it all back together and it cranks like a champ now.

I started driving the car on a daily basis and man, it's so happy that someone is finally paying some attention to it and it's not cooped up in that little garage. In fact I'm gonna take the little guy to Italian Car Day in Alameda on Sunday instead of the Ferrari. It deserves it. I'll post some pics.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"reminded me of trying to get to the crab meat at the crab feed...also why I hate crab feeds"

You just have to know how to tear them apart and then use the long skinny crab meat extraction rod, the ones with the little pickle fork on one end and and the skinny scoop on the other. We find getting at the crab meat pretty easy, being raised on it since I was a little kid, the folks always going out and catching their own. Now we generally just buy it.

Just had a couple of Dungeness crab for dinner several nights ago. Best crab there is, lots of sweet meat. Big yum. We always just eat the leg meat one night, dipped sometimes in melted butter or a little soy sauce w/wasabi, and then a couple of days later we make spaghetti with browned butter and Mizithra cheese grated on top, with the body meat piled on top. Another big yum.

Have you got too many cars, Paul, lol. Hard to decide sometimes which one to drive that day. Do you sometimes pretend you are driving in Hawaii when you drive the Ferrari, lol?

The starter in the LS has always sounded a little scratchy, but has always worked fine otherwise. Always been that way, and I'm not touching it, nor the one in the 91S, which has always worked fine for it's entire life of 192k miles now.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Does anyone have a lead on the COP connectors for the 164LS? I'm in the middle of R&R on the engine harness and have found the fuel injection connectors and boots, but having difficulty with the coils.

Bob

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
...Have you got too many cars, Paul...
I do and it's a struggle trying to figure out how to remedy that.

The two 164's just keep running and even though the black one is pretty close to pristine condition they both have high miles and nobody is going to give me anything for them so may as well just run them until they quit. I'm stuck with them.

The Spider was my wife's car, I've had it for 39 years and couldn't sell it.

The truck and the Disco are vehicles with special purposes. I've always had a pickup truck and would feel insecure without one so - stuck with those two as well.

The Ferrari is not practical or particularly useful and I could turn it back into a big pile of cash anytime if I wanted to but it's just the most fun, coolest little car I've ever owned. You can get satisfaction just looking at it so I guess I'm stuck with that too.

I know... there are plenty of people with bigger problems than me in the world. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,369 (Edited)
It can be cheaper to live in Florida But!

That being said, I am still sorting out and trying to find everything Alfa and non-Alfa 164 related.

Today was another red-letter day to unpack and repack and move from garage to shed xyz.

Been selling such things as new Clevite engine bearing sets, used window regulators and front crank pulley to NJ, VA and MN Alfisti.

Trying to help dude in north Florida get his newly installed Alfa 164 engine started via email.

Managed to sort Alfa parts and pressure wash garden storage shed as I go along with 164 parts re-stash.

ML made me a super omelet we shared for brunch, too.

Pool time coming up after this lament.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"Pool time coming up after this lament"

Alas, our lap pool is down for the winter. Costs too much to heat it to the temps we like (we may be Scandinavian in ancestry, however, brushing ice away while swimming, as our exchange students parents seemed to like is not our thing, lol). Do have to run the pump now and then to move the algaecide and shock around so that come next May, it won't be such a chore to clean.

I've been slowly going through all the spare Alfa parts I have, trying to decide just what is viable or potentially of use in the next few years, and that which is probably here just because, well, I thought at the time why not. Old tires have to go, a spare ok Milano 2.5 radiator, and old 164 window regulators which I haven't bothered to try to mess with as well. Plus, old really big electrical motors, a working vacuum pump, the list goes on and on, to say nothing of all the old household junk I thought at one time might be used, or come in handy.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Spent time organizing spare parts for different cars in the garage this weekend - my arms feel a bit longer right now...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
It's so clean...

·
Registered
410 Posts
It is also a great place to be, though it is a bit away from home.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Checked the adjustment of the 164S driver's door hinges for tightness, the door used most of the time. Not too bad, pins not frozen. Tried to tighten the nuts up just a little. Door doesn't seem to sag worth talking about even after 192k miles. Pleased about that. I do oil all of them a couple of times a year though, all hinges in all the cars, actually. Hood, doors, pivots, latches, whatever I can find, as well as spraying everything in the engine bays with Armorall.

Now also getting time to do all the leather in the cars with leather care goop, after I use the KIWI black shoe liquid on the scuffs. And of course, Armorall on the vinyl parts, esp in the 91S which as the DD sees much more sunlight than the others.

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,376
Change of seasons

ML setting up one of our guest rooms for future guests. So BB2's front leathers had to be moved. I put them in another one of the guest bedrooms for now. I recently had treated the leather with Lexol cleaner and condition when we got back from summer vacation.

I touched up the driver's seat left bolster with Kiwi black.

I will be swapping seats back into BB2 soon and putting away the summer 164B velours currently in BB2.

I had left rear leathers in for the summer this year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,377

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,378
Out with summer seats in with the winter ones

Installed S front leather seats back into BB2.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,379
ML wanted her Jeep today so I was forced to drive BB2 to the fitness center and wally world for groceries.

Pretty nice grocery getter if I must say so myself.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"wanted her Jeep today so I was forced to drive BB2"

Oh, what a setback! The sacrifices we must make for our wives.

14361 - 14380 of 14428 Posts