Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14341 - 14360 of 14428 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,341
Some summer and now fall excitment in my Alfa 164 world

On June 29th of this year having a fire extinguisher in our chase vehicle (our 04 JGCherokee) allowed me to save BB1 from a complete electrical fire melt down. Car is totally repaired now and stashed and covered at our house in VB, VA

I also had one in BB1 but I knew where the one was in the Jeep and easier to get too as the flames were melting wires in engine bay...

As for BB2, I finally have fixed the static oil that was at the bagel shaped oil cooler by replacing the seal between it and the engine block. We can home to FL after 2 1/2 month away to a gynormous oil spot under BB2. Did not leak under pressure and was hard to pin point what was leaking.

On my want list now is a 2018 WHITE Fiat 500X. They have new end of year one at the Fiat/Alfa/Jeep dealer in next town. It has the 2.4L Tigershark engine not the new 177 hp 1.3 turbo one in the 2019 models.

MPG: Up to 22 city / 31 highway
Dimension: 167.2″ L x 75.5″ W x 63.1″ H
Engine: 2.4 L 180 HP In-Line 4
Fuel tank capacity: 12.7 gal
Seating: 5

·
Registered
878 Posts
My son's Supra is giving him some clutch trouble so he is borrowing my Santa Fe, which means I dive the Alfa more (sad). The baffled resonator was installed a week back. Reduced the drone somewhat but still louder than stock. Not obnoxious like some of the other "performance" vehicles out there.
Yesterday, I swapped the incandescent, oval bulbs with led ones. The stock ones were melting the plastic lenses. Looked ratty. The led ones can be rotate to direct lite directly down or at an angle or upwards if too bright (not really).
The backup camera is a blessing in parking lots due to the wide turning radius of the car.
Hoped to add color back to some cracked leather on the drivers seat but the dye I picked up not a good match. Will just condition regularly to prevent more deterioration.

Wife wants a Miata for summer use and for that we need to sell the Alfa.... I have refused that BUT will consider selling the 164 if we can find an affordable late model Spider (with twinspark). There is one locally, never winter driven, offered at $11,500 but I have seen them for less. A decent, starter Miata (early 2000's) with a few kilometers and good body will be around $5000 but those buggers can hide lots of rot in the rear seams. I would rather find a good body and repair-replace an engine than have to redo all of the body and paint. The parts for Miatas are also so darn cheap it makes it hard to resist.
So, in context, $11000 for a clean Spider is not all that bad but I shudder at the thought of clutch parts for this model.
The 164 will eventually need complete paint. I would explore spraying doing it myself if I could find a reasonable prep and spray rental booth. They seem to have disappeared.
There is ls a nice 87 Biturbo spider at $10,000 but been there (hard top).

·
Premium Member
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,343 (Edited)
2019 Koni Census Day

Today was the day I counted my Koni's and tested the ones in BB2 at full-teeth rattling firm setting.

I found I had set BB2's Koni's full-soft probably when we went to 2016 Nashville Convention for the wife's sake and never reset them 1/2 firm. After test drive I reset them to 1/2 firm or 1/2 soft depending on your optimist point of view.

Next not counting what's in BB2, I found I have 2 1/2 sets of new front 164 Koni inserts and three used rear Koni struts.

I might consider selling one new set of 164 front inserts. It is the set of Series One Euro inserts that I had modified to be used with Series Two and Facelift 91-95 164 models. I had to have upper ends of chrome pistons shafts non-chrome ends machined and threaded to fit Series Two upper strut mount bearings.

You can see the M12 fine threads on end of those Series Ones and the new M14x1.50 coarse threads on the machined non-chrome area of shafts.

They are already installed in cut off 164B/L Boge front strut housings. Priced at $525 shipped lower 48.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I visited The Collector Car Vault in Santa Paual, California and made a video. FOUND - a beautiful 1974 Alfa Romeo Montreal - and it's for SALE!

[ame]https://vimeo.com/364560248[/ame]

Dylan Simcik gave us a great tour of the facility, which at one time housed the Hollywood Wax Museum's Film and TV car collection. Over 900 cars were stored INDOORS at the 80,000 square foot former citrus packing plant!

Hope to hear some comments about the video - if you like it, let me know and I'll post more!

https://vimeo.com/364560248

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,345
I visited The Collector Car Vault in Santa Paual, California and made a video. FOUND - a beautiful 1974 Alfa Romeo Montreal - and it's for SALE!

Dylan Simcik gave us a great tour of the facility, which at one time housed the Hollywood Wax Museum's Film and TV car collection. Over 900 cars were stored INDOORS at the 80,000 square foot former citrus packing plant!

Hope to hear some comments about the video - if you like it, let me know and I'll post more!

Enjoyed your video. Saw a M&M orange Monty near me in VA years ago that had been hit it R/F headlight area after a test drive. Car dealer owning/selling it was not happy.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Came close to buying a Montreal back when they were still reasonable at around $10-15k. It's really just a 105/115 underneath. It was the engine that intrigued me but also gave me pause. I think a distributor cap is north of $200 and there are some parts that would be a real challenge to even find if you needed them. Nowadays they are priced at a point I wouldn't consider.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"Came close to buying a Montreal back when they were still reasonable"

Came close myself to buying a Montreal, but Carlo warned me off, saying that some parts were very difficult to get, and some could be quite costly. He had one in the shop for a long time, waiting for some parts to show up from somewhere, and seemed to be kind of disgusted that he had to work on it.

Meanwhile.... spent a little time perusing the Giulia and Chevy SS web sites, looking at specs, prices, features. I have been offered the 2017 Chevy SS I've driven my relative in Texas has to sell, as he has trouble driving it now since he is beginning to suffer a lot from Parkinson's (don't know what he will do with his new 755 hp Corvette he dearly loves. Is already a garage queen, and will probably remain as such, except maybe his wife driving him around in it, yes, she is pretty qualified). The SS has much more power (415 hp) than the Giulia for a similiar price, and the handling is just about comparable according to at least one road test comparison.

Decisions, decisions. Most likely won't buy either the Giulia or SS, but fun to think about it. Wouldn't mind a flight to El Paso for more excellent Mexican food, and of course look at and drive the SS again.

·
Premium Member
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,349
To quote Del: "Decisions, decisions. Most likely won't buy either the Giulia or SS, but fun to think about it."

All talk until you do/don't do!

Both nice cars but we bite on our new to us 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.6L 24v V6 with 295 HP and 8 speed A/T with paddle shift. It is our as close to a Stelvio as we are going to drive. We have driven the Stelvio at dealer and the one my bud's wife has.

Meet a couple Saturday here at Cars and Coffee who have an 86 Spider and a Giulia and Stelvio.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I'd jump on that SS in a heartbeat.

But the Lovely Donna would finally pop a cork. I already have to remember that I told her the '73 Berlina is a "parts car".

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"I'd jump on that SS in a heartbeat"

Depends on what his asking price for the SS will be of course. Knowing him, I'm not sure he would give us a decent deal. We decided that we wouldn't be buying a Giulia, regardless.

Part of the problem is that I have no idea which of our Alfas I would have to get rid of to make room for the SS. Wife says, only three cars at most, and leave my pristine Milano alone or you are dead meat, lol.

The decent condition 91S isn't worth much but has been so reliable as a fun daily driver. The also decent condition LS is just a fine example of that model, well set up, running like a train. I don't think I would replace it with the SS, just because of the experience of driving the LS with it's great engine, sound, and manual transmission. I would really miss that.

Only problem is that my very long term Alfa mechanic Carl is no longer in business, and I'm not sure he will be available for major maintenance on the cars in the future. Small stuff I regularly do, but I'm not sure I trust myself enough to do something like a 24V belt change as to settle my own mind of continued reliability, etc.

The SS is a completely different animal, with all the modern bells and whistles, much of which we don't care for. I suspect I will have to pass on it. Still, the SS would make a pretty nice trip car, or to replace the 91S as a DD, and maybe be a trip car. The Milano is certainly spoken for, and the LS then becoming the fun and racy Alfa car for the nice weekends.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The other day I let my close friend of mine drive my 164, he was so impressed with how it handled and the power, he couldn't believe it was a 91 model year

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
IF I can do a 24v timing belt change, you can. I'd even volunteer to come up and screw it up...I mean...help you with it. It's tedious, not difficult.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
The SS is a completely different animal, with all the modern bells and whistles, much of which we don't care for. I suspect I will have to pass on it. Still, the SS would make a pretty nice trip car, or to replace the 91S as a DD, and maybe be a trip car.
Certainly clearly demonstrates the different petrol prices America and New Zealand have. The SS would cost me about $150 NZ to fill up, weekly I estimate. Too much for me.

My sister has the HSV version with the supercharged LS something in it ... sits in the garage mostly. Nice looking car in black, yellow Brembo brake calipers, etc.
Pete

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Yes, gas prices are different, for sure. That is one thing about the SS in tradeoff for the performance. However, the LS and S, LS esp, don't get that much better gas mileage, esp if one drives them enthusiastically. At my age, not driving all that much, the fuel costs wouldn't be too much higher on average over all long term.

The SS, though, would be a considerably more expensive vehicle to own and drive compared to what we have now, for sure. Something to be considered. We do like spending our cat's inheritance on other things.

Drove the LS for a while today. Ah, what a fun/sweet car, with all the right sounds and performance. For sure, that one is a keeper. If we bought the SS, the 91S would go, just because although it isn't worth that much (although it being a good one), we would end up having no room for it in the garage/carport (I will not park our cars out in the open).

I just know the bookkeeper is going to scotch the whole thing, lol (our cars all run properly, right? they are all in fine condition, right? they are all long paid for, right?)

·
Premium Member
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,357
Both the JGC and BB2 got driven today. ML took Jeep to piano lessons and I took BB2 to wally world (WM) to get groceries.

I found in the backyard shed the box of spare window regulators so I boxed up a L/F one for Rich's 164B back in VA. Waiting on his shipping address. Got a $5 coupon for FedEx printed off the internet tonight.

Finding my spare parts after the move to FL is like going on a treasure hunt. So many boxes and so much stuff got co-mingled in the pack out last year.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"IF I can do a 24v timing belt change, you can"

Yeah I could, but I always have a tough time starting. I am always reluctant to start if I haven't done it before, even if as an engineer, I can see how things work and go together. It's just the way I am. Goats on the other hand changes his easily. He is not afraid to just dive in. Also the way Richard2 is.

Carlo even showed me just how things would look with the tensioner, even gave me a good used one from a Ferrari (you know those guys with more money, "yeah, I know its good but change it, period", lol). The day will probably arrive some day.

The 12V, not worried about that one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, gas prices are different, for sure. That is one thing about the SS in tradeoff for the performance. However, the LS and S, LS esp, don't get that much better gas mileage, esp if one drives them enthusiastically. At my age, not driving all that much, the fuel costs wouldn't be too much higher on average over all long term.

The SS, though, would be a considerably more expensive vehicle to own and drive compared to what we have now, for sure. Something to be considered. We do like spending our cat's inheritance on other things.

Drove the LS for a while today. Ah, what a fun/sweet car, with all the right sounds and performance. For sure, that one is a keeper. If we bought the SS, the 91S would go, just because although it isn't worth that much (although it being a good one), we would end up having no room for it in the garage/carport (I will not park our cars out in the open).

I just know the bookkeeper is going to scotch the whole thing, lol (our cars all run properly, right? they are all in fine condition, right? they are all long paid for, right?)
My 2010 Camaro SS is essentially very similar underneath to the SS sedan, similar platform, weighs a bit less, but same engine/trans/rear (with the Camaro having a touch more hp). When I used to daily that car my combo of commuting and around town netted me around 15-17mpg average. If I take it on a long trip it will do at best 27 mpg. My prior 2000 Corvette with slightly less HP LS1 would do 30.

My next car to replace the Mercedes E350 (when the warranty is up) will be a Giulia Ti Sport AWD. If I want 400+ screaming horses the Camaro is always waiting in the garage, I don't need that for my daily anymore. Needs to be a car my wife can drive when needed, enough room for the kids, but enough horsepower to be somewhat fun at least. As much as I don't like to buy new I may even make an exception specifically because of the color combo I want, and that i want the performance pack with the LSD and active suspension (more expensive stuff to break). Also I REALLY don't like black wheels and it seems like every Sport I find has the Nero edition or just the dark wheels, I want the shiny silver ones.

I hate this black wheel trend, I feel like its filled with Dad's who want to be edgy when it reality its like "my wife let me buy this".

·
Premium Member
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,360
"I hate this black wheel trend, I feel like its filled with Dad's who want to be edgy when it reality its like "my wife let me buy this"."

While hate maybe a little strong word for my feelings about the trend, it reminds me off my youth where we were lucky to afford a car and if we had one it came with black steel wheels. If we were even luckier it might have a set of chrome-like dinner plate size mini caps. We were living way out on the edge if we repainted the wheels RED.

As for our new to us 17 Jeep Grand Bright White Limited w/black accents, it has acceptable to me bright shiny edge-facing wheels with gray colored spokes and chrome lug nuts. A little shade of pale gray would be more pleasing but we are going to live with what came on the car.

BB1/BB2 both have 90's period correct metallic medium gray re-painted wheels.

14341 - 14360 of 14428 Posts