Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14201 - 14220 of 14430 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,202
sounds hectic...time to relax have a peroni…:)

Chilled out with a cool one, glass of ice water and a big burger and fries at the golf course 19th hole for early supper late lunch on the way back to hotel from hobby shop.

Couple R&C after cooling shower has eased the pain of bending over changing the water pump.. At least no timing belt to remove to get to water pump just a tensioner to release the serpentine belt on the Jeep V8 engine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Drove Alfina to the city, about 1.5 hours (x2) combined 60 and highway speeds on a fairly warm and humid day. My Santa Fe steering pump imploded, making a royal mess of my driveway, and I was bringing it down to a re-builder. $125 so not too bad (cdn figures and measurements used). No air and leather seats on a hot and humid day....sweaty back. Add that I had removed the rear interior and trunk liners and the ride was a bit....loud, thanks to the Magna Flo open exhaust.
The drive was uneventful and Alfina enjoys coasting around the 80-90 kph range.
The Santa Fe pump was a **** to remove. Offset connectors and not alot of room from either side. The 164 Pump is actually easier to access, save for the rear bolt.

Soundproofing:
I was hoping to start my soundproofing today but the DD takes precedence.
I will start a thread for the soundproofing but in a nutshell...
I am removing the rear interior (seats, trunk liners) and laying down a continuous layer of sound dampening material to quiet things a bit, seal any leaks and rattles. I am also removing-replacing any mouse-chewed sponge, plenty to be found, essentially starting the sound proofing at the rear deck-windshield and down along the back to the area under the seats. I may plug up the ski access, not certain. I also have reflective material for the floor and tunnel, block some heat, and another layer of waterproof stuff to keep any water from the metal. I will start this, I hope, tomorrow and will add pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Drove the GTV6 to work. Beautiful day (now down to the low 90s predicted), marvelous drive. I left early and made sure I had my AAA card.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,205
I, will continue BB1 burn victim saga story on it's own thread but until the sun came into play I was making GOOD hap progress. Once the shade tree stops being shady it is time to go off the clock. Show tropical hours starts about 1400 hours.

Our beach house re-decking and siding contractor to start in earnest tomorrow. They laid the new cedar siding in driveway today. I suspect the 5/4 planking will show up soon.

I have BB1 as far under the neighbor's river birch shade tree as possible as it shades both their side yard and our north side yard. Have the tool shed (my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee) backed up to front of BB1.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Drove the 91S across town to the marina to do some work on the old boat. After 48 years, it does need some work now and then. The brakes on the S which I had been fiddling with performed as they should, and no abnormal wheel temperatures, and the hand brake seems to be functioning again.

On the way back, I stopped in at the local supermarket to buy some vittles, and who should drive in and park next to the S but the person driving the 2018 Giulia Quad usually parked down the street at the doctor's office. Had a chance to chat for a few minutes with the driver about the car, and whether or not she liked it. She said that they couldn't be happier with it, with no problems whatsoever, just a ball to drive, even as a DD. Her husband wanted it, but she drives it cuz he can't seem to give up driving his older Alfa Spider, at least during the summer. I don't think she will give it back, but I also don't think she had really been an Alfa type in the past, but this seems to have changed her mind.

She did comment, though, that the tires which originally came on the car pretty much made the car undriveable in many respects, and the driving characteristics were very improved when they installed more usable tires. Unfortunately I didn't finding what they were. She said say that the car was much more fun to drive now.

Have to admit, that bright red Giulia Quad did look pretty nice. If it didn't cost so darn much I might be convinced to like it even more, lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This was this past weekend (and I will be busy for a few weekends so no updates) but finished the front coilovers and control arms and replaced the axle boot on the passenger side:

Getting so close now I can taste it!

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
After caustic comments, lol, from my driving companion, got around to cleaning and restoring the window switches in the LS. Pop them out, pop out the rocker, cut away that stupid problem causing cellophane film (do not replace that film), and then spray with contact cleaner, work the switch a few times, and then give it a small shot of WD-40.

Now they work just fine, and based on my experience with the similar switches in my 91S, which I did this to a couple of decades ago, they should work fine for probably as long as I have the car.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Changed plugs after about 20,000 miles on my oil guzzler.

Cleaned the oil vapor separator. Seen a few nasty pics on this forum, but maybe time to find a replacement for that thing!

Running nicely with new plugs. New 5/8” hex NGK iridium BKR6EIX much easier to work with than 13/16 hex NGK iridium BPR6EIX. 5/8” socket gets down in the plug we’ll easier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Good to hear from you.

Yup, those 5/8” hex NGK iridium BKR6EIX are the plugs I use in all the cars. Seem to work well and stay clean. Pulled a couple from the 91S a few days ago to check on them and there was no cleaning to do after ~25-30k miles. Of course, I also give the cars a shot of Techron now and then. Guess that helps.

I have to clean the oil vapor recovery units on our 164s, although don't seem to get oil in the 94LS rubber intake hose like I do in the 91S, also an oil guzzler (Carlo said bad oil rings from the factory for certain 164s).

the last time I cleaned the one for the 91s, it took three days of soaking and washing out before it cleared up. Didn't jc96 look at opening one up so it could be cleaned? Haven't heard from him lately. Wonder how they are doing.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Found some brake fluid leakage on the floor from the piston on the RR brake caliper. I just replaced it with reman unit about 4 months ago.

I cleaned it up, had my wife work the brakes (engine running) but could not see any more leakage. Ran it today and rechecked it and no leakage.

Anybody ever experienced that before?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Changed plugs after about 20,000 miles on my oil guzzler.

Cleaned the oil vapor separator. Seen a few nasty pics on this forum, but maybe time to find a replacement for that thing!

Running nicely with new plugs. New 5/8” hex NGK iridium BKR6EIX much easier to work with than 13/16 hex NGK iridium BPR6EIX. 5/8” socket gets down in the plug we’ll easier.
Hi, as your plugs, I can say that it is necessary to replace the valve seals.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,215 (Edited)
Good to see and hear from all you fellow Alfisti keeping on keeping with your beloved Alfas. My BB1 the fire victim is currently dead in the driveway after having it running so well after fire. I took it back apart to replace burned HP A/C hose and tidy up all the wiring repairs. Now it turns over but won't start. I even went to AZone to get a NOID wafer and a timing light to verify what I was pretty sure of NO spark or injector pulse! Lee my bud in NJ sending me a -117 ECU to see if that has become the issue.

I found the yellow and black wires in chassis wiring harness for FI system for RPM/Timing sensor crank sensor chaffed through green covering and EMI inner covering at top dog bone chassis metal.

Did I fry the ECU? I don't know but I ohmed out those two wires back to pins 23 and 25 at S11 ECU connector from sensor connector and wires had continuity and are not severed. So I separated inside the EMI shielding wrap and taped them best I could. EMI shielding wrap and outer green covering compromised but that should not prevent sensor signal from getting through to ECU. As for RPM/Timing sensor it ohms out at .6kohms. I do have a spare so if Lee's ECU does not let me start the engine up I guess it is wheel and fender liner pull time.

Working under neighbors river birch tree at our beach house has made me a shade tree mech.

Also found an interesting thing that reveals either an error in wiring diagram or somehow I have a wiring issue. Motronic wiring pg 595 shows ECU pin 18 HOT at all times from G56 power terminal at false firewall. And pin 35 hot with key on and red-stripe relay energized. I didn't get power to pin 18 until I turned key on. Pin 35 becomes hot with key on as diagram shows. I think diagram has error as the two factory harness red wires are in one terminal connector at G56 and both go into FI harness that goes across FFW behind engine and into firewall to hook to ECU. Those wires were not damaged in to electrical fire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Well, keep at it. Probably something simple, but yes, I suspect it is easy to accidentally sort something out, and then poof, dead. Too much electronics, etc. If you think these cars are troublesome, think of the newer cars, what with many many onboard computers, highly involved HVAC and infotainment systems. Hate to even think about it. More electronics doesn't make things more reliable in many cases.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Chris is doing well. Lots of life changes going on but Susan and I are well. Susan has stopped working and is a full time stay at home Alfa female. Her eyesight has gotten to the point that working is not an option. Her demeanor has improved and her level of stress greatly reduced. Italian red tape is amazing but we're navigating it.

I haven't been doing much Alfa wise 'cept tending batteries and planning our big excursion to Germany and the Benelux next year in Rossa. I did go start her yesterday! I have some rear calipers coming from Eddy and will have Walter change them, the pro valve and all the fluid prolly in Jan or Feb. Coming stateside in November for a visit to both Dayton and Almagordo New Mexico where my daughter is currently stationed.

Life is good currently. ciao, chris

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sharing our Alfa world with others

Sunday is our So Cal chapter Summer Party. Sit around, eat pot luck food, drink a little wine and talk, talk, talk.
But waiting in my email was 2 Alfa pics from a friend who spotted them among the Chevys, Fords and other Sunday C&C type cars. He is a died in the wool hot rod person. He designed Hot Wheels for a LONG time. My Milano is/was the first Alfa he had ever ridden in. But now I have him looking at Alfas.
A good Alfa day I had.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Watched a new (to us) Italian series on the tube, 'Mafia Kills only in Summer', supposedly taking place in Palermo. Pretty funny, and lots and lots of older Alfas from the 60's and 70's.

In the first episode, saw a couple of late 70's Alfetta sedans, an older 60's Spider, a later 70's Spider, a red Giulia GTV, a couple of Supers, and a ton of Fiat 500's, along with many other cars I couldn't really recognize.

Great fun Alfa spotting.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,220
[B]IT RUNS![/B] More info to follow have a dental appt.

Good to see and hear from all you fellow Alfisti keeping on keeping with your beloved Alfas. My BB1 the fire victim is currently dead in the driveway after having it running so well after fire. I took it back apart to replace burned HP A/C hose and tidy up all the wiring repairs. Now it turns over but won't start. I even went to AZone to get a NOID wafer and a timing light to verify what I was pretty sure of NO spark or injector pulse! Lee my bud in NJ sending me a -117 ECU to see if that has become the issue.

I found the yellow and black wires in chassis wiring harness for FI system for RPM/Timing sensor crank sensor chaffed through green covering and EMI inner covering at top dog bone chassis metal.

Did I fry the ECU? I don't know but I ohmed out those two wires back to pins 23 and 25 at S11 ECU connector from sensor connector and wires had continuity and are not severed. So I separated inside the EMI shielding wrap and taped them best I could. EMI shielding wrap and outer green covering compromised but that should not prevent sensor signal from getting through to ECU. As for RPM/Timing sensor it ohms out at .6kohms. I do have a spare so if Lee's ECU does not let me start the engine up I guess it is wheel and fender liner pull time.

Working under neighbors river birch tree at our beach house has made me a shade tree mech.

Also found an interesting thing that reveals either an error in wiring diagram or somehow I have a wiring issue. Motronic wiring pg 595 shows ECU pin 18 HOT at all times from G56 power terminal at false firewall. And pin 35 hot with key on and red-stripe relay energized. I didn't get power to pin 18 until I turned key on. Pin 35 becomes hot with key on as diagram shows. I think diagram has error as the two factory harness red wires are in one terminal connector at G56 and both go into FI harness that goes across FFW behind engine and into firewall to hook to ECU. Those wires were not damaged in to electrical fire.

IT RUNS! More info to follow have a dental appt.

14201 - 14220 of 14430 Posts