Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14041 - 14060 of 14428 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Changed the oil today. Not the filter as I have only put about 1000km since the last full change and am only changing to check the oil for any metal, trying to diagnose the slight knocking sound. Seems to come from the center of the engine, not the oil sump area. It may be coming from my yet-to-be fully fastened muffler?

Anyways, no nasty stuff in the oil. Still smelling some oil so a bit more diagnosis to do for that as it is irritating.

I will be driving to the muffler shop on Monday for a final fitting and proper hangers and to check the system front to back as I do hear some hissing from the mid section.

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,044
I do not have a 164 but, I just received a painted 1957 Sprint body on a steel dolly for restoration.
That is an Alfa and this thread is Alfa related so relate away with the project even if non-164-related as this in an Alfa related thread. We even stray off Alfa stuff from time to time.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Indeed, open to all Alfas, although some of us do like the 164 model, lol. I suppose it could be set as a separate category.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
ML and I have been invited to join the Maserati Club of Central Florida for a driving tour to Clermont tomorrow for lunch and a tour w/tasting at the Lakeridge Winery.

They are starting from the Ferrari, Maserati of Central Florida dealership in Orlando. We are going to meet them at the Citrus Tower in Clermont.

After the tour we are all driving back to our Lakeland town for a group RON at the Terrace Hotel downtown.

Dinner will be later at Fresco's near the hotel. ML and I will then RON at our own La Casa Bonnie and rejoin the group on Sunday for Brunch at the hotel.

My invitee Todd, whom I met at Neville's Mighty Oak event in April, has both a nice Alfa Stelvio and a Maser Ghibli.

164 looks really good. looks new. nice picture!

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,048 (Edited)
Indeed, open to all Alfas, although some of us do like the 164 model, lol. I suppose it could be set as a separate category.
Have you seen how well that works in other categories? I am for inclusive rather than exclusive.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I meant that the "what did you do Alfa related today" site maybe might be a separate site, rather than being included just in the 164 site, since it is a generic question? I don't know otherwise. It was only a thought. I don't care where it is.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Getting Back to the Interior

Padding is from Stock Interiors. Very reasonable.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Finally started putting parts back ON my 164. Swapped the master cylinder today, MAN that drivers side nut is awful. Also my MC didn't want to come off, ended up using a pry bar and hammer to work it loose.

The brake fluid in there was BLACK. the reservoir, one side was like blocked up, I hosed it all out and now its clean as new in there. I think I'm going to drain the clutch reservoir as well as the fluid there is black too. When I put it all back together I assume I should fill and bleed the brakes first, then fill and bleed the clutch right?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Veronica back on the forum. El Hefe's main ride has been performing, with a few glitches. Right now we're experiencing intermittent difficulties with the window switches. When the temp is warm (outside), the switches don't want to work.

He's got an R-12 AC system. Our parts car has the new stuff (too many beers to remember the number - 134?). Have done a little research on the forum but found conflicting info on what should be changed out. Opinions?

V

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Hey, believe it or not, was just thinking about you today, wondering how things were going, and whether or not the 164 was functioning ok. Was going to ask about you on the BB.

First of all, the lousy window and seat switches will do that after a few years. Most of us have figured out that you can pull the switches out, pull them partially apart, cut the little cellophane window out, and spray the inside with something like electronic cleaner or WD40 (what I used) and the switches should work again. Seems the little plastic window traps a film of contaminants (from maybe the contacts sparking?) on the contacts and they stop conducting after a while. Removing that film and spraying/cleaning the contacts should fix that problem. Do not replace the window. Did this years ago in my 91S and they still work ok. So far, the ones in the LS don't seem to need this fix, but one never knows, lol.

For the a/c, do a Google search for the info provided by "roadtrip" and others concerning a/c work on these cars. Use different titles in the search to finally find some info. Should also be in Steve's maintenance postings at the head of the 164 section in the BB. When I changed my 91S over to 134a, I changed the condenser over to a newer more efficient one (simple change), and had the dryer and several fittings and expansion valve replaced, oil changed in the compressor. Don't remember what all now, since I had a shop do the basic change for the 134a, not complicated, and then I replaced the condenser myself later, just refilling the system, using new appropriate washers at the condenser joints and cans of 134a (using the simple screw on trigger handle with gauge and hose) available at any autoparts store.

Maybe start here? (www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/46814-c-r12-r134a-retrofit-4.html)

and here? (www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/198765-r-134a-conversion-guide.html)

This appears to be roadtrip's actual (and excellent) manual he wrote up for this change:

www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/164-168-1991-1995/1260826d1495062070-r-134a-conversion-guide-164-12v-ac-conversion-r134a-ver-3c-may-2017.pdf

These should get you started.

Hope all is well with you all otherwise?

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Tom, brakes and clutch feed from the same reservoir. Both sides of the system are prolly pretty crudded up. And... there's a specific way to bleed brakes. Has to do with weight on wheels and some weight in the trunk. I don't remember the specifics but Steve has a few write ups on it. Something to do with the proportioning valve. You're that far into it you might give thought to swapping the clutch master and slave and hose. Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,055
Veronica back on the forum. El Hefe's main ride has been performing, with a few glitches. Right now we're experiencing intermittent difficulties with the window switches. When the temp is warm (outside), the switches don't want to work.

He's got an R-12 AC system. Our parts car has the new stuff (too many beers to remember the number - 134?). Have done a little research on the forum but found conflicting info on what should be changed out. Opinions?

V

Veronica good to see you on BB. Here is some light reading for you on R134a conversion that John did: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/198765-r-134a-conversion-guide.html

·
Premium Member
26,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,056
Roque L my lenghty BB2 rehab story board

Finally started putting parts back ON my 164. Swapped the master cylinder today, MAN that drivers side nut is awful. Also my MC didn't want to come off, ended up using a pry bar and hammer to work it loose.

The brake fluid in there was BLACK. the reservoir, one side was like blocked up, I hosed it all out and now its clean as new in there. I think I'm going to drain the clutch reservoir as well as the fluid there is black too. When I put it all back together I assume I should fill and bleed the brakes first, then fill and bleed the clutch right?
You might want to take the time to see/read what it took me to rehab the rusty underbelly on my 164S aka BB2: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1256011-post5.html

·
Registered
348 Posts
You might want to take the time to see/read what it took me to rehab the rusty underbelly on my 164S aka BB2: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1256011-post5.html
Wow thats nuts. Lots of good info in there thanks.

My Clutch master is fine, it just seems to not have had its fluid changed since the Clinton era. I have a turkey baster with tubing for the purpose of draining these things so I figure drain it all out, fill it and the brake master, bleed the brakes first (I have a Motive power bleeder), then bleed the clutch.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks guys! Sorry for the long absence. After I got Hefe back on the road I had major work to do on the Wagon and the old 98 Subaru. Of course in the summer the only problems are overheating (the wagon, which I'm sure needs a good engine flush and new radiator). He was having trouble with his seat adjustment switches - the back would recline (as I pointed out: great for car sex when you're young and agile enough for that, but not so much for driving) but not go vertical. He popped the switch cover, attempted to "prize" out the offending switch, blew the fuse - luckily Steve mentions on the forum how to FIND IT, he squirted down the contacts with that good contact cleaner, and seat responds nicely. Wish all things in life were so easy. I think we're going to have to do that with the window switches. They are just fickle.

Thanks for the links on the AC conversion - I remembered a lengthy, complete one - I may have even printed it out at one time. Yeah, I miss everyone - everything is totally fine, but am busier than ever. I am managing a USDA grant for a bio-char amendment to our wheat field soil, had to set up a new corporation to handle the money, and of course I program for our radio station (I am a music junkie) and may become the president of the board. And then there's house work and gardening.

So. Life is good! Body still obeying the brain. Will no doubt be back with observations, complaints, and questions.

How's life in Florida now, Steve? Didn't I remember your relocating there? Or maybe I was hallucinating...

Love y'all!

V

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your opinions please.

Made the 160 km round trip to the muffler shop to complete the hangers. 2 custom hangers cost me $50 (cdn).
Still, this did turn out as planned due to some unfortunate misfires with the first muffler shop so the final tally, including 2 trips that could have been avoided, is around $280 cdn.
The MagnaFlow is definitely louder than stock, around 68 db at the rear.
Inside the cabin, the drone is a bit tiresome when accelerating up a grade. Mind you, the tips are not installed and the sound is bouncing off of the rear bumper skirt. I will be adding 2 tips myself. I am attaching images.
The tips are Audi tips and they have oval outlets and are offset-downwards. The muffler is slightly offset to the right and if I insert these tips with the offset to the left, they line up properly but the ovals are 90 degrees off. Not certain I like that look. If I insert normally, the right tip is slightly closer to the cutout but not in contact. One option is to cut the rear of the tip at the indicated spot (indicated by my finger) and reattach them 90 degrees so that I have the left offset of the tips plus oval outlets that are oval from left to right rather than up and down. That will also mean I do not have top drill new drain holes in the tip rears.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Talked with Lino this morning down at Alfa of Tacoma. Almost all of the parts are gone, as yes, Centerline took most of them. He said twenty pallets of parts, plus exhaust systems, etc. He didn't realize he had so much. Lino wasn't all that happy with the price but it had to happen. They have two floors cleaned now, and several cars yet to go out. He said that people still stop by to get something done, the two hating to leave anyone by the side of the road. Lino finally did buy maybe his last "souvenir" Alfa, a 78 Spider. Wanted something for the remembrances, and they enjoy driving around in it.

We reminisced about our many years knowing each other, me first meeting him in 1964 at Abruzzi's Pizza downtown Seattle, where he first worked. Didn't know who he was at that time, but "officially" met him a year or so later when I bought Carlo's Alfa. And the fact that I knew his future wife years back in the local high-school.

He thought that the two of them had had a good life with the Alfa business, that really neither one of them wants to give it up but that things must change for the future. The offspring as usual not wanting to pick up the business, as usually happens with family run businesses/restaurants. Carlo of course will have his hobby storage building so that he can still fiddle with cars and engines at his pleasure. Can't run a real business out of there.

Not particularly Alfa related, but our very good friend who lives in Vancouver, BC now, married to a well to do woman, called to chat, and in conversation mentioned that they were looking to buy a new car, a new Ferrari 488 Spider. Either that or a Mercedes AMG GTR for half the price. Breaks my everloving heart. He is now living a nice life, and she is so sweet, even if she is a hard-nosed company owner.

I mentioned that they could test drive the new Giulia Quad, but she really wants a Coupe or the like. Didn't like any of the Lambos, and McLaren, etc, thought they were not them, too flash, lol.

14041 - 14060 of 14428 Posts