Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14021 - 14040 of 14424 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nope no shipping data yet either.
Did you choose the faster or slower shipping option? I went faster. They sent me notice it shipped but no tracking info. They emailed me back saying they are connected with DHL looking for it.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Probably picking up a '95 164LS in a bit more than a week, and then driving it 875 miles, home, along the Sierra Nevada foothills. The vast majority on roads I've never driven. Regardless of the outcome, it'll be a fun adventure.

Bob

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Keep me posted.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,024 (Edited)
Did you choose the faster or slower shipping option? I went faster. They sent me notice it shipped but no tracking info. They emailed me back saying they are connected with DHL looking for it.
I opted for faster, I think. I sent them a follow up asking for tracking today.

I sent you a PM with more info.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Muffler:
I have picked up my muffler from the shop. They did a fine job of mating the old inlet-flange end to the new piping and the Magna Flow BUT I may have tacked th old pieces off a bit and the line up is not exactly where it should be so another bend is in order. They couldn't tack on new hangers either as they had no direction. I bolted the new muffler in place and made a hanger which I connected directly to the middle of the inlet, behind the cross member and connected that with a rubber hanger and metal strap to the bolt for the upper shield. Should be fine for a drive but will have to be revised.
so, I will make another trip to the muffler shop, with the car this time, and have them fine tune stuff.
The sound is louder than stock but not overly loud like many of the muscle cars you hear....but definitely to loud for the missus. Add a definite leak at one of the front flanges and a loose front shield...

This did not turn out as expected.
I had originally pulled the stock muffler for a repair to the inlet at the muffler. Once I realized how bad it was, seemed pointless to put it back on so I removed the pipe, attached that for the short drive to the muffler shop and was assured it would not be a problem. Week after, and after an hours wait, they told me they couldn't do it and I would have to get some mandrel bent piping. I think they just concentrate on fix-fit jobs for their other customers rather than tie up the hoist for hours with mine.

So, its on and works (with some small leaks) but needs revision.

Radio:
Installed a double din and works fine. Couldn't find my last install kit so made some supports but they are not strong and will need to be replaced with proper straps. If I had to start over I would not have started and bought a 1.5 din or double din front with single din rear to avoid some of the hassle. i have no issue cutting into the center console but my workmanship was a tad sloppy and there was more trial and error than anticipated. Mind you, if I decide to go back, I can easily replace the console and make a proper plate for a single din. The biggest issue is the extra spacing around the radio and stock opening. Will have to dress it up a it.

Knock sound:
Went for a drive to assess the exhaust level and when idling in my driveway, I noticed a knocking sound from the right-lower side (I think). Hope this isn't a crank issue and there is a bit more vibration near the air cleaner than I recall. Maybe something knocking due to a weak mount? That would be better than an internal issue as that would do it for me, I think.

Temp needle was up at the 2nd last marker but the fab is kicking in and water level is o.k. Maybe my imagination as I have not run this in warm weather since last spring.

Trying to attach images but my cursed new phone doesn't want to cooperate.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Radio:
Installed a double din and works fine. Couldn't find my last install kit so made some supports but they are not strong and will need to be replaced with proper straps. If I had to start over I would not have started and bought a 1.5 din or double din front with single din rear to avoid some of the hassle. i have no issue cutting into the center console but my workmanship was a tad sloppy and there was more trial and error than anticipated. Mind you, if I decide to go back, I can easily replace the console and make a proper plate for a single din. The biggest issue is the extra spacing around the radio and stock opening. Will have to dress it up a it.
Take a look at this:

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/apple-carplay-android-auto-ilx-w650

If height wise a double din will fit, something like this is the best option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally fixed a power issue on my GTV6 that was driving me insane. Engine would consistently lose power above 3,000 rpm. Previous owner replaced fuel pump and filter (about 7 months ago), so I troubleshot every component in the air/fuel system except that.

Turned out the be to fuel pump. Of course. :|

·
Registered
945 Posts
Came to the conclusion that unless you live in a large metropolitan area used Alfa parts have virtually no value.
Unless you are the one needing to BUY them, then they are worth their weight in platinum!
Being VERY careful from now on as to what spares I buy, need to clear clutter but not going to give away good parts.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,031
Cleaned it, inside and out in prep for a car show Sunday.
Very interesting paint scheme on your 164S or 164Q with LS wheels. Tell us more about that car please?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Take a look at this:

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/apple-carplay-android-auto-ilx-w650

If height wise a double din will fit, something like this is the best option.
Yes, no-name versions of this are as cheap as $30 (u.s.). These do not take cd and I still prefer cd over mp3 and do ot stream when driving. The width will fit the LS console front but height is still too tall so a cutout from the bottom console is still required. The compound din units (double din face, single din rear) fit in standard single din slots and have larger faces. Anything that motors upwards blocks all of the controls. Fixed face ones are likely easier to work with Sample pix of motorized version attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here we go.
Sorry for the bird image. Kids were updating their x box and with my limited bandwidth, upload started hanging so I left my terminal for dinner not realizing I had grabbed that image as well. Bird was an infant that fell out of a tree along with 2 siblings and nest. Tree was too far up to reach and siblings were dead but I noticed shallow breathing and figured I would help it out. Amazing growth over a week but I fear it will not have the skills to survive in the wilds and may have to keep it or adopt out. You need some skills to live in the wilds....kind of like being an Alfa 164 owner.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Came to the conclusion that unless you live in a large metropolitan area used Alfa parts have virtually no value.
Unless you are the one needing to BUY them, then they are worth their weight in platinum!
Being VERY careful from now on as to what spares I buy, need to clear clutter but not going to give away good parts.
Happens with a lot of European cars. You have stuff you want to sell but nobody wants it, then you blowout price it and people still negotiate you down. Then when you need it, the only one you can find the guy wants $200 for.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
The very first 164S (actually the first 164, period) I had a chance to see was painted all white, I mean all. In the Cal sun, it blinded you. The black stripes on the above car at least make it look better IMO. Looks good, actually. Would have to see it in full So Cal sun, though. I personally would paint the lower fairings maybe a light metallic gray as an offset color.

Not liking the stock LS radio, etc, I removed it and with a little work installed one of the older double din radios from a Chrysler, the unit with AM/FM, tape, and CD. Good enough for us, and works well. Pretty much just plug and play. Based on our own experiences in rentals at least, the new touch screen stuff is too messy to use when you are driving down the road, esp a bumpy road, your finger usually hitting the wrong area, getting something you didn't want (who wants all that stuff when you are driving anyway, subtracting from your attention). You have to take your eyes off the road too long to find where you want to place your finger. Knobs and push buttons work so well... just because they are not the "new" thing...

When we were riding around with our friends in their Honda Pilot, he was always driving back and forth in the lane, from lane line to line (and sometimes over), as he tried to do things on the touchscreen and connected smart phone. We tried to tell him to not do that, but it didn't seem to take. it actually was kind of funny sometimes, as when he would speak to the system to find something out, the system couldn't understand his Georgia accent half the time. Then his wife would try, and it couldn't understand her north Texas accent. What a hoot.

And, every day, when we are driving around, we usually end up behind someone at a traffic light, the light changing, and the driver not driving off, still goofing around with either his phone or the touch screen in the dash. I hate having to honk the horn to wake him up, not knowing if he will pull a gun, which sometimes happens around here (actually, everywhere nowadays).

Sigh, another rant. One of those days, lol. Sorry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So after driving home late at night from my moms place (30 minute drive) I noticed the temp guage doing this weird dance. The engine was still cold and after a bit of driving and getting to normal temps the needle didn't dance as much but still caught it on video though by this time it moved once our twice. At the beginning of the journey it only danced around within a certain limit like in the video but not so aggressively to the point where the needle would jump to the ends of the gauge.
I've uploaded the video to my channel. It does not inhibit the driving functionality of the car, just a weird side affect of an old alfa maybe.

https://youtu.be/IMkjKdCAEKg

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
They seem to do that every once in a while, probably due to a dirty connection? The temperature does appear to be low, though, my 164s reading somewhere around 190-210F most of the time.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,038 (Edited)
164 Road trip in the AM on Saturday

ML and I have been invited to join the Maserati Club of Central Florida for a driving tour to Clermont tomorrow for lunch and a tour w/tasting at the Lakeridge Winery.

They are starting from the Ferrari, Maserati of Central Florida dealership in Orlando. We are going to meet them at the Citrus Tower in Clermont.

After the tour we are all driving back to our Lakeland town for a group RON at the Terrace Hotel downtown.

Dinner will be later at Fresco's near the hotel. ML and I will then RON at our own La Casa Bonnie and rejoin the group on Sunday for Brunch at the hotel.

My invitee Todd, whom I met at Neville's Mighty Oak event in April, has both a nice Alfa Stelvio and a Maser Ghibli.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Del, When driving this is where the needle stay, when idling the needle sits between 175 and 250. as i mentioned a while back i used temp gun to check and the temp showed 215-220F with the fan kicking on at 220F

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Ok, got that. Your gauge just reads weird. I would check/clean/protect the associated electrical connections, and maybe check the sensor as well.

14021 - 14040 of 14424 Posts