Alfa Romeo Forums banner

14001 - 14020 of 14430 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just got out of the pool after early morning swim and ordered that new "3rd" rear suspension link from Clover Breakers UK. Email was the answer to get shipping link set up.

You know my motto. "You can't have to many spare parts."
Glad you got it worked out. When I emailed them originally they said their normal shipping calculator only works for US for very small parts. I guess these are big and heavy enough to trigger that not to work. Still overall it was very reasonable. With shipping it cost me less than the 4 lolipops I bought to salvage the bushings from.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,003
Did a wax on wax off today to both BB2 and JGC Overland.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
RC got a battery today. About 80 bones at the local battery emporium. RC has been relegated to parking spot guard for the last 4 months or so. Life's gotten in the way. I am pretty sure he's going in for paint work at summers end but have not nailed down the deets as of yet. Life is good, ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,006
Sorta Alfa related today

Annual termite inspection day today. Willy the Termite Inspector Tech, originally from NYC, Boston and Miami and is now living near here in Central FL, turns out to be an Ex-Milano owner as well as a Jeep Grand Cherokee owner. Between him touring our house inside and out, crawling the attic and the crawl space still had time to talk Alfa stuff.

He just made it out of here just moments before our afternoon thunder boomer and cloud burst.

It has already dropped to a cooler 88F from 97 in just a few minutes. Thank goodness for A/C.

I had to add to can of R134a to BB2 yesterday to bring back the chill factor but is was a cool ride today to Rec Ctr, Wally World and the bank.

Did I ever tell ya'll how great retirement can be?

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,007

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I thought the article showed the usual disdain for the 164. Was not particularly impressed.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I thought the article showed the usual disdain for the 164. Was not particularly impressed.
Im not sure I agree Del. They finish by saying neither car disappoints in any way and that both are driver’s cars. The 164 is an old car now, so it is not going to be the same as a modern one. Having owned 14 Alfas, including two 164s though, I can say they are all different technologically, but are all driver’s cars like no others, which is borne out in that article.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Well, they certainly didn't like the overall styling, and they didn't think it was a good sports sedan.

However, I will give you this:

"nothing the modern car can do is as exciting as engaging the 164's heavy clutch and shifting from fifth to third to hear its naturally aspirated V-6 sing"

Exactly. That's why I do not own a new Giulia. That and the excessive (IMHO) electronic doodads and systems. But that's just my wife and I talking, being familiar with both cars.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I’ve always liked the 164 styling. There is nothing else quite like it and as a result, it will always look good.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,013
There's something about a 164 AND the love angle

I’ve always liked the 164 styling. There is nothing else quite like it and as a result, it will always look good.
You got that right! I'm not sure what it was first that caused my wife's love affair with me, the 164 or me? Since we have been married 27 years and we still drive an Alfa 164 it must have been something in the overall design of it. How's it go - horse and carriage go together like love and marriage? That maybe backerds but either way will work for us.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Been driving the same dd 1991 164S since 1994. Never get tired of it. And, don't need any more of the complicated infotainment systems, electric brakes, steering, and throttles, etc, as found in the new cars. We don't buy new just because it is new (well, we do like our Roomba, lol). Been married 42 years, so as Steve says, something must be right, and evidently having the 164 doesn't hurt.

It's a shame that for the Club, et al, the 164 does appear to be the forgotten/unappreciated Alfa.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I bought my first 164, a 91. by accident. though I was bidding on a gtv6 in NJ, it was late I was tired. next morning woke up an of a green 164 in Giorgia. flew down with the Mrs. drove it FLA to meet friends, looked a little sad next to their new Merc. drove past a little mechanics shop displaying, amongst many others, an Alfa sign. The Mechanic was Lebanese and very familiar with Alfa. next day, new battery new belts later, fluids, filters etc. he pronounced it good to go. Drove it up to NJ, non stop, having to remain very careful with speed cause found myself at 120 in no time. After some time later I saw a black 164 on eBay as a non runner, thought it would be a great parts car...…….. That's when I bought my 24valve by accident. in the end, after getting the 24v to fire properly, my wife drove the 12v and I the 24v. the 12 valve was sold, and we entered into a lease on a 3.0 Passat very nice car but dead on feel end of that lease we switched to an Acura...could not wait to give that car back... all the time sitting back in the 24v one just feels at home. friendly little things.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Waiting on the muffler so figured I would work on the stereo. The reach is just too long for comfort. I have a cheapie Chinese all in one 2 din (not really 2 din, Chinese version of 2 din) all in one stereo and will fit that in the stock stereo.
This requires: removing the stereo and sleeve. Removing the stereo platform (2x 10mm bolts, one on either side) and the stereo door, which was damaged anyways. Remove the mechanism for the stereo door return. Cut the plastic frame of the stereo mounting area and, most worrisome, cut the transmission housing plastic down to the level of the ashtray. I won't cut the vinyl so I will peel it back, cut the plastic underneath and fold the vinyl down in case I want to put it all back. Except for the removal of the inner stereo sleeve frame, all should look fine if I choose to revert back. I may look for a replacement center console just in case so if you have one for an auto ls model, let me know.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Well... had I anticipated so much cutting of stuff, would not have started but once in, finish. So, almost got the 2 din stereo in place. I had to trip the upper part of the console under the vinyl) for lower clearance and widen the back of the middle plastic shroud for the stereo itself. The hardest part was lowering the stereo shelf. This piece must be retained as the center shroud (as I call it.... the plastics under the stereo face and environmental controls) is bolted from the top. The lowering of the plastic at the front-top of the console required removing part of the plastic, and one metal plate that ran left and right as support. This was very touch mental to drill through and I had to grind part of it.
The stereo shelf required lowering as well so I cut that across the top and lowered the top section into the bottom section so I have a proper support for the unit and still have the mounting points.
A bit more trimming and re-gluing the vinyl is next, plus make a new let-right support for the top of the console, under the vinyl, so the vinyl does not sag.
Then, finalize the shelf position, add 2 rivets to unite the top and bottom sections, make 2 new mounting points (as the plastic section with 2 existing points was cut off) so nothing gets creaky at speed, wire up the unit.
There were a few missing screws and bolts under the enviro unit which explains why there were so many creaking sounds out of the dash. Really annoying.

Picture 1: set in but not connected
Picture 2: stereo shelf before alteration (I will post an after shot later), the shroud is attached via to bolts at the front holes and 2 at either end at the bottom. the shelf is attached with 2x 10mm bolts and is also slotted.
Picture 3: The stuff under the ashtray. gentle goes it as the plastic will crack. You are seeing the ashtray cover, 2 springs, the removed plastic ( middle) and the ash tray frame, the top which has to be removed. The frame is then put back in place to add rigidity to the top of the console.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
while looking for images of the starter side of the 164, back end, without success I may add. came across this video:

Nicola Materazzi, father of Stratos, 288 GTO and GTO Evoluzione tells how he created the most desirable and admired Supercar ever, which now takes 30 years after his official presentation. Waiting to put it on the road and tell you a Legend. http://www.driveexperience.it/

The 164 is mentioned at 7:58.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey @Alfisto Steve did your lateral arm arrive yet? Mine should have been here but have not arrived and they now have DHL trying to find the package. REALLY hope its not lost!

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,020
Hey @Alfisto Steve did your lateral arm arrive yet? Mine should have been here but have not arrived and they now have DHL trying to find the package. REALLY hope its not lost!
Nope no shipping data yet either.

14001 - 14020 of 14430 Posts