Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13301 - 13320 of 14428 Posts

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
High school English teacher held me after class for a one on one spelling lesson. He was determined to have me spell simple words correctly. He would pronounce words emphasizing certain sounds. The result of that session was he told me I'd never amount to anything. Meanwhile, a Mechanical Engineering degree later, he's dead, I'm still alive and we have spell check:)

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Hauled a trunk and rear seat full of rotted cedar deck planking in the 91S to the garbage transfer station this morning, about 160 lbs worth. Found out that the car, with just me in it, with mot a lot of fuel in the tank, weighted exactly 3600 lbs after unloading the wood. Was always curious as to the actual as driven weight of the car. Sure a lot more than my original 64 Giulia Sprint GT, lol.

Decided to shine the Alfa a little and work more around the house this afternoon/evening instead of watching/listening to the disturbing national news on TV.

·
Premium Member
26,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,304
Used timing template to see rear cam had jumped time and also did a compression test on all 6 cylinders.

·
Premium Member
26,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,305
I had to pack and ship a Valeo radiator this morning so Joe and I only had about 2.0 hours on it today. We got head torqued, rear cam pulley installed and torqued and rear ex manifold on with new gaskets. So much easier to install with front of sub-frame lowered. He is 82 and me 78 so we go slow but sure nowadays.

My GTV6 bud Jeremy called last night wanting to know what all we got done and when we would be through. I told him when we got done we would be done.

Our heat wave in 90's and humidity 55 % plus makes quitting by 1130 am a must.

I used to think the 70s were the new 50s but lately I am now pretty sure my 80s will be my low to mid 80s.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Decided today that I will have to replace the short fuel pump hose in the LS before our intended trip to El Paso and back later this Fall, alas. Roadtrip has convinced me that I should, not needing another occurrence of this hose failing, as in the 91S a few years ago at about the same mileage, leaving us stuck by the side of the road. Maybe I will postpone the 91S clutch change to get this done instead, since with sane driving, the clutch still works fine.

Not too worried about the original heater core in the LS starting to leak (yet), as I have in my "get home" box a full set of the heater hose shut off clamping pliers to shut that circuit off if needed. Years ago, at about 110k miles, I had replaced the heater core in the 91S at about the same 110k mileage, before a trip to Wisconsin and back, but it was still just fine (the serp belt idler pulley got us on that trip, leaving us in Nowhere, WY (never to return, lol).

Was going to install an electric shutoff valve in that LS system as I did with the 91S, but haven't gotten to it yet since the a/c is sooo good in the LS anyway, so not really necessary as with the tired leaky a/c ducting in the 91S. Might never get to it, lol.

Probably no thanks to climate change, we have been getting record temps for this time of year, reaching low 90s, except luckily with our usual very low humidity. I do go out to do some yard work and deck rebuilding but no sense in being stupid, lol. We hit the pool about 4 pm and stay in the water until about 5:30 when I get out to start to cook another "gourmet" dinner for us (I actually enjoy doing most of the cooking, specializing in Italian, of course. I may be Norwegian, but I love Italian food, esp since lutefisk is so awful, lol).

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
My GTV6 bud Jeremy called last night wanting to know what all we got done and when we would be through. I told him when we got done we would be done.[/QUOTE said:
LOL. Reminds me of this line from one of the finest actors and finest movies ever made . . "The Agony and the Ecstasy." Too bad Hollywood creates almost nothing but sexual/violent pap for morons these days.

It's been a pleasure working on the 164 this summer out here in the Dakotas catching up on seven years worth of niggling little jobs. We've been having a cooler than normal summer and enough rain to keep everything very green and lush. Very very nice so far. Hopefully the nice weather holds up for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Love the Italian cuisine, like Del. Janet and I lived in Brindisi, Italy for a couple of years while I was in the Air Force and we got to know southern Italian dishes pretty well, as eating out was very inexpensive there in the late 70's. Also, I spent many years with the airline going to Roma and Milano and had superb dinners there.

We cook it at home much of the time and very rarely go out to dinner, although she's the chef and I'm the prep and lavapiatti. Prepping and cooking together over some prosciutto and cheese and a nice Nero 'd Avola or Chianti is so relaxing and fun. And no concerns about driving home after a few glasses of wine. Being a English-Scotch-Irish mongrel myself, shepard's pie and ugh, haggis, should be my thing, but it ain't. Just looking at it gives me a minor heart attack.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Yup. Have been up and down a lot of Italy a couple of times. Spent a week in Sicily several years ago for a nephew's wedding. Such good food in so many areas of Italy, yum, esp seafood. Not that much of a fan for the German food in the far north, but Barb likes it.

Sure don't see that many Alfas, though.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
the German food up here in the far north is NOT German food. Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Well, that may be true, but next to Switzerland and Austria, in the Tyrolean areas, it is labelled as so in the menus, and sort of tastes like some of it, those areas going back and forth through the centuries.

Have been to southern Germany in the past, but much of the food seemed pretty heavy. Even our "born in Germany" friend doesn't like most German food, lol. I'm sure, though, as with almost all countries, there is some food which can be delicious. Often depends are where you are in the country.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
LOL, I like German food and even moreso, the Austrian versions/equivs. I also find the food in Slovenia to be very nice and as I like "heavy" food from time to time, quite satisfying. I've tried the Italian variants of German cooking and the closest I can come to is Friulan and while good in its own right, no way German. In the end it along with everything else in life is subject to interpretation. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Finally got around to replacing an intermittent window switch on the LS. Worked fine going down but had to continuously tap it to close window. Used the last good one in my stash; now I have clean the removed one since I'll bet new ones are NLA.

·
Premium Member
26,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,313
Meanwhile back at semi-Alfa related, I stuffed my 164B Velour summer/winter seats depending on where I R into my Florida bound trailer. This is the Florida titled trailer I bought from a US Coastie who bought it in St Pete when he was stationed there.

Anyhow, missing my ML and so since trailer is now packed with her and mine (some 164) stuff to the last foot I R thinking I will push off for FL on Tuesday.

I have to help Joe finish up his 164L rear head change tomorrow and Friday, get daughter's kitchen appliances delivered on Friday, repair some stuff at beach house Saturday between renters and meet and greet Home Paramount pest and termite people at Alfa house on Monday but besides that list to dos I am free to go to FL on Tuesday me thinks.

I will load overflow that I can't get into trailer in back of Jeep Grand.

I hope to get into Jeep- spare tire for trailer, spare B&G springs and front and rear Konis and 164S mid muffler and new Strebo rear muffler.

I am missing my women and she is missing me so FL bound next week.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I am missing my women and she is missing me so FL bound next week.
Come on home Alfisto and feel free to refresh and refill here if you happen to select the long way.

Looking forward to some kind of reunion somewhere in the next few months....weeks....days?

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well on my way home from work, I stopped at a gas station to fill up. While i started pumping i notice a hissing sound, and upon checking the Righ rear tire I noticed a cut in the sidewall and loosing so much air I needed to change my tire at the gas station. While I loosened the lug nuts a state trooper pulled up next to me and gave me a hand. I managed to change the tire there and replace the bad tire. Did not know Chaz put a full size spare in the trunk!! After I changed the tire the Trooper took intrest in my 164 and complemented how good of shape it was in for being 27 years old. That was my alfa day lol.

·
Premium Member
26,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,316 (Edited)
Well, I installed new timing belt and tensioner after Joe got lot of valve covers and intake stuff installed.

We spun engine with starter and blew the paper towel stuffers out of spark plug holes.

Yes, I know the tensioner reference pointer is slightly below reference mark, but ambient temps in high 80's and he keeps jumping time on rear cam like 3 times since I have been helping him replace rear head in last 20 plus years.

I gave him about a hour of my time and he soldiered on until he had to go get his grandkids.

I have appliances being delivered to daughter's house tomorrow time to be determined with phoncon tonight from Lowes.

Life gets in the way but maybe we will get some time on this 164L project tomorrow and on weekend if needed.

Cabinets in kitchen and ceramic tile going down as well as HVAC folks getting A/C operational at daughter's digs so they can bring in engineered flooring to acclimate it to the house before they lay it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,318
Three episodes of jumping time???

I would have retrofitted a hydraulic de-tensioner after the first episode.
Not going there.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I haven’t been driving any of my Alfa’s lately. I got into a car pool for work which isn’t actually a “pool”, the guy just picks me up and drives and I pay him ten bucks a day so I definitely do not need six cars. I flew my Champ down to Lompoc on Saturday for the 34th annual West Coast Piper Cub fly-in, took me 5 1/2 hours round trip at 80 kts. Now I want a Supercub, which are even slower and I’d have to sell all of my Alfa’s and both my airplanes to afford it. Maybe it’s just a passing yen, though I’ve wanted one since I was a kid. Thing is, both of the 164’s are around 180k so I wouldn’t get much for them and Blackie is all set up just the way I dreamed it would be when I first got it with the Speedlines, Euro headlights and pristine interior. The A/C even works. Heck I don’t know if I could even let go of the Spider after owning it for 38 years.

Nope, gonna have to come up with a plan B.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I haven’t been driving any of my Alfa’s lately. I got into a car pool for work which isn’t actually a “pool”, the guy just picks me up and drives and I pay him ten bucks a day so I definitely do not need six cars. I flew my Champ down to Lompoc on Saturday for the 34th annual West Coast Piper Cub fly-in, took me 5 1/2 hours round trip at 80 kts. Now I want a Supercub, which are even slower and I’d have to sell all of my Alfa’s and both my airplanes to afford it. Maybe it’s just a passing yen, though I’ve wanted one since I was a kid. Thing is, both of the 164’s are around 180k so I wouldn’t get much for them and Blackie is all set up just the way I dreamed it would be when I first got it with the Speedlines, Euro headlights and pristine interior. The A/C even works. Heck I don’t know if I could even let go of the Spider after owning it for 38 years.

Nope, gonna have to come up with a plan B.
I know the feeling. As it is the Camaro sits in the garage, and truck on the street 99% of the time. I put like 3k a year on the truck, the Camaro barely 500 miles. Hell I probably put more mileage on the race car. The only way the Alfa will survive me is if I rotate it in with the Benz. Even that car I only put maybe 3k on a year, I work in NYC so I take the train every day.

13301 - 13320 of 14428 Posts