Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13281 - 13300 of 14423 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,281 (Edited)
Joe and I started setting up his 164L for rear head pull. We worked until his wife called us for lunch and then we decided Monday morning we will reconvene to lift head off hopefully without drama.

We found rear cam jumped time about year or so ago and had become overcome by life events. So now we are trying to get it going again at his wife's request before I fully move to Florida.

We decided today go on tropical hours this afternoon and start fresh Monday morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
Just read Sam smith's column in the newest Road and Track mag.

Love it. The first sentence is "there is never anything wrong with an Alfa". "A true dyed-in-the-wool wheel-and-pedal man (or lady, or child) will find everything ostensibly wrong with an Alfa Romeo and then label it not so much wrong as accident".

Basically, it is what it is, because that's the way the Universe works, lol.

Meanwhile, while standing in the cu-de-sac talking to a neighbor this morning, a nice very black and beautiful sounding 4 dr Maser drove in to pick up someone at the house for sale next door. Drool. Don't know that much about them otherwise, ie, reliability, clutch and/or transmission life, timing belts, service costs, mpg range, etc. Lots of used ones out there for sale, though, different years. I just noticed last week a silver '14 on a lot just up the road in our small town. Yeah, I know it is not an Alfa, but...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Helped a friend with a t-belt change today. I'd say that car had an angel looking over it!

Upon removing the tensioner from the engine, I couldn't rotate it! It was frozen! We don't know if it froze right after it was shut down (that would be an incredible coincidence) or it was frozen throughout his drive to my place -- with the belt just slipping on the bearing surface overheating itself.

Luckily for him I had a spare so we pressed out the old frozen one (pictured below) and put everything back together.

Check your tensioner bearing everyone!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Mr Del, see quite a few Maser here. They are not cheap to service or repair according to what I read and hear. I personally dont care for how they look except the 2 doors I see. Thier SUV is very nice to look at. Your trans mount left yesterday. Sorry for the delay as life has really gotten in the way of late.

Today I washed Rossa and went to what was supposed to be cars and coffee about 45 minutes from here. Nothing but no shows but the drive was fabulous. Next weekend is ALfa under the stars. Our local club of fools is putting this on and it is less than 10km from home so win win. A gathering in the town square, an evening cruise and stops along the way culminating in dinner at some fancy place.

http://stilesottolestelle-com.jigsy.com/about

Otherwise life chugs on. ciao, chris

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
My wife drove us into Stirling in the Adelaide hills in the new 159 TBI for lunch and then on to Gumeracha town hall where I was playing in one of my bands for a guitar music event. What more could one want - a drive in a beautiful Alfa with your favourite person through lovely countryside, followed by playing music with your friends. That’s what I call a great day.

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
Thanks, Chris.

That event looks like a ton of fun, sigh. Have nothing like that here, alas.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just read Sam smith's column in the newest Road and Track mag.

Love it. The first sentence is "there is never anything wrong with an Alfa". "A true dyed-in-the-wool wheel-and-pedal man (or lady, or child) will find everything ostensibly wrong with an Alfa Romeo and then label it not so much wrong as accident".

Basically, it is what it is, because that's the way the Universe works, lol.

Meanwhile, while standing in the cu-de-sac talking to a neighbor this morning, a nice very black and beautiful sounding 4 dr Maser drove in to pick up someone at the house for sale next door. Drool. Don't know that much about them otherwise, ie, reliability, clutch and/or transmission life, timing belts, service costs, mpg range, etc. Lots of used ones out there for sale, though, different years. I just noticed last week a silver '14 on a lot just up the road in our small town. Yeah, I know it is not an Alfa, but...
The QP are gorgeous and drive great (as I read, never having had the pleasure) but the values drop fairly quickly as service isn't cheap. My next "dream car" I guess but only after I move away from country roads and gravel, I think. My only Maser was an 86 425 and that was a bad mismatch of auto tranny, detuned carb (why??) and the previous owners poor maintenance. After sitting in my garage with the engine sitting a meter from the bay, I finally sold it to a collector (he had 3) and wished it well. Lovely cars and beautiful interiors but service history IS vital. Although changing the starter and timing belt was a breeze compared to the LS.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Washed the floor under the rear seat and sealed up 2 holes (some plugs had fallen out or not been replaced). I also peeled off the covering to access the cavity in the left and right side rocker, rear sections and did see evidence of some rust. I can also see it from below. Sprayed rust cure in there for now. Cut out the broken stud holding one of the heat shield retaining bolts and replaced that with a 2 inch fender washer and longer bolt, nut combo. went for a 40 minute drive from my place down to Bolton (physio therapist) and found it was easier to maneuver my sore-left arm onto the LS steering wheel than in my Hyundai Santa Fe. The drive is down a 2 lane, hilly road. I am amazed at how the LS takes on steep grades with no wheezing or note of argument. I have to ease off at the crest to keep from speeding down into the valleys (60kph zone). It is fun to drive this car but man, I need to get the air working if I intend to use this more often.
The left side is still about 2 cm lower than the right side but the new bearings and re-greased upper bearings have made things more quiet and smoother. This week, weather and time willing, I tackle the hole in the trunk and then start with the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
9,970 Posts
Replaced the front speakers today. Originals had rotted out the foam surround. Put in a pair of Kenwood KFC-1666S. Direct replacement for OEM. Sound good and inexpensive ($31/pair). Rear speakers were ok. Must have been replaced sometime in the past. Fronts take a 6 1/2" speaker, 4 ohm.

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
KFC speakers?

Regular, crunchy coated, or barbecued? Did you get fries with them, or buns and gravy?

·
Premium Member
9,970 Posts
Helped a friend with a t-belt change today. I'd say that car had an angel looking over it!

Upon removing the tensioner from the engine, I couldn't rotate it! It was frozen! We don't know if it froze right after it was shut down (that would be an incredible coincidence) or it was frozen throughout his drive to my place -- with the belt just slipping on the bearing surface overheating itself.

Luckily for him I had a spare so we pressed out the old frozen one (pictured below) and put everything back together.

Check your tensioner bearing everyone!
How many years and miles on that bearing?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
How many years and miles on that bearing?
My friend isn't the best record keeper, but he claims it's less than three years old since the last belt change although he did not remember changing the tensioner bearing. Mileage unknown. Sorry, not very helpful here.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replaced the front speakers today. Originals had rotted out the foam surround. Put in a pair of Kenwood KFC-1666S. Direct replacement for OEM. Sound good and inexpensive ($31/pair). Rear speakers were ok. Must have been replaced sometime in the past. Fronts take a 6 1/2" speaker, 4 ohm.
Sound good and inexpensive or sound good and are inexpensive? I replaced mine a few years back with Pioneer up front and Pioneer at back. Big improvement but the deck swap helped as well. I need to find an extension to bring out the stereo about 2 inches as the reach is ridiculously long.

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
Lol, that's why you became a pilot.

One of the absolute brightest guys I know, A PHD researcher back east, cannot spell worth a darn. In high school we all took turns correcting all his spelling in his essays, etc.

Although, to my ears the speakers in my 91S still sound fine, I'll bet it is because while they may be defective now, my ears are even more defective.

·
Premium Member
26,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,298 (Edited)
Another 3 hour morning at Joes. We loosened sub-frame rear mounting bolts and with a floor jack under front of sub-frame, we removed four front bolts. Let front drop enough to lift off rear head and install a head with unbent valves.

We started tropicale hours early today at 1130.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
We've had a couple of record setting days, for this area and date, with temps in the low 90's. Still have work outside to do, replacing a rotted out deck, cleaning out a trashed Koi pond, etc. At least, while it is inot "dry heat" as in AZ, the humidity, or lack of, is nothing to think about.

No Alfa work, though. Waiting for the used engine mount from Chris in Italy, and then will replace the lower ball joints and check the mount in the 91S. All the other mounts are pretty new, but still chasing a thumping sound sometimes over bumps in the left front. Maybe worn out rack bushing, or... Steering is fine, no slop. Otherwise, it runs just fine as usual.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Have not done much alfa related, managed to get engine and trade for crown vic. Been driving my 164 for a few weeks now and love it. Would like to replace the power steering hose so it will stop leaking, other than that things seem to be fine, that pesky red over temp light comes on still but car temps are find with thermometer.

13281 - 13300 of 14423 Posts