Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13241 - 13260 of 14423 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's pretty hot here in Toledo with temperatures reach 115F earlier, needless to say the alfa did wonderful!! I like to drive with the windows down to hear that wonderful Busso V6

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
My wife and I went for a lovely drive today through the southern Adelaide hills and Southern Vale’s wine district in the new 159 TI 1750 TBI. My wife drove and I got to look at the beautiful green countryside for a change. It is wonderful to be living only ten minutes from perfect Alfa roads, great scenery and some of Australia’s best wineries. We stopped at the bakery in McLaren Flat for lunch and drove 200 metres up the road to one of our favourite wineries, Scarpantoni, where we did some tasting and bought some bubbly, rose, reds and whites. The car drove superbly. It is even better after I got a four wheel alignment and rotation done the other day. The front toe was still on the factory setting as I suspected based on the inside of the tyres starting to scrub. They need to be set to zero toe or they will chew through tyres very quickly. I’m surprised it hadn’t been changed because the dealers had to do that when they first came out. Perhaps not all of them were doing it. We got over 50,000 km out of the tyres on the wagon with it set to zero. The alignment was out all round. My wife noticed the difference straight away after it was done and there seems to be less tyre noise as well. It is a gorgeous car and is a lot of fun to drive. The 159 reached its peak with this model I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
I think I'm finally going to join the Alfa club, after many years of not (was in the beginning but got tired of the dissension back in the 60's and 70's locally, IIRC). Also got involved with starting another car club, Samoa (Seattle Area Mini Owner Association), yes, real Minis, not those BMW fakes, lol.

This so we can attend a couple of the rubber chicken dinners at the convention in Olympia. Not interested in the tours (already full), been there, done those, and not interested in staying in Olympia, as we live ~1 hour or more north, so no need to stay at the hotel, at great cost. Also, the tours start too early for us (one of the pleasures of being retired), as well as not putting up with the traffic jams down through Tacoma which are global in extent in the morning, day, and night.

Basically, hoping to meet up with a few of the BBers who might be attending, and perhaps look at a few nice cars.

Update: ok, Frank, made you happy, lol.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Welcome to stop by, of course.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Richard, are you two going to the Sat swap meet and banquet night dinner? We are thinking of just coming down Sat, 11th, for the events, ie, swap meet, ****tail hour, and dinner.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I decided to take the entire month of June off and do a bit of travelling. The main bucket list thing was go to the 24 hr race at Le Mans on 16th and 17th but on the way I stopped in New York because I'd never been to NYC so I spent a day seeing the main attractions - Empire State Building, World Trade Center Memorial and Observatory. Got lost in the subway system for a good two hours. After that I drove up to Rhinebeck where there is an airfield and museum where they fly old airplanes from WWI and before. They flew a 1909 Bleriot and a Curtiss pusher, it was pretty awesome. Then I drove up to Hammondsport to visit the Glenn Curtiss Museum on Keuka Lake. Did about 700 miles in a rental Hyundai before returning to Newark and catching a flight to Paris. Spent two days in Paris seeing all of it's sights - fascinating place - then on to Le Mans for the big party. Nothing like the old days of the Ferrari-Porsche-Ford battles, much "safer" now. Heck, you couldn't get yourself killed as a spectator there now if you tried. But it was a good experience, glad I did it at least once. Really enjoyed Europe well, except for the cigarette smoke. Kind of highlights the enigma that America is - you can go anywhere packing a semi-auto firearm but try light a smoke in a public place and the wrath shall descend upon thee - ha, ha

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
. Really enjoyed Europe well, except for the cigarette smoke. Kind of highlights the enigma that America is - you can go anywhere packing a semi-auto firearm but try light a smoke in a public place and the wrath shall descend upon thee - ha, ha
Somewhat ironic isn’t it?

On the subject of old planes Paul, I’m currently reading a great book about the Spitfire. It is brilliantly researched and very readable. It’s called “Portrait of a legend - Spitfire”, by Leo McKinstry and was written in about 2006. There is stuff in there that counters some of the myths we have grown up with and wonderful accounts from pilots on both sides of the war. Get it if you can.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
What a great trip, Paul. I dream of shipping my Berlina to Europe and touring in it. Of course, it needs to get finished first:)

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Ok, haven't decided whether to stay for the banquet or not. Probably not as well, since we probably won't know anybody otherwise I spect. If not, got time for dinner or pizza near us, on your way home, after the swap meet?

Out of curiosity, what are your plans for Thurs and Fri? We could meet you there sometime as well.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
...“Portrait of a legend - Spitfire”, by Leo McKinstry ...
Thanks for the tip I just got the Kindle version on Amazon for $6.99. Speaking of Spitfires I watched the movie "Dunkirk" a couple of days ago and while I normally hate the phony CGI graphics used to depict aireral scenes in todays movies this stuff was really well done and very realistic. No crazy overblown action, I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

·
Premium Member
9,960 Posts
Old Rheinbeck is super cool. Well worth the trip, especially if you're a pilot or aviation/history buff. The biplane ride was fun. One of my brother's-in-law chickened-out and wouldn't go. Couldn't even shame him into it.

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Keep meaning to visit that place when we are back in CT. Always seem to forget. Would like to see some of the old airplanes. Father learned to fly in an old Jenny, when they were not that old, lol. Barnstormed as a teenager in the Midwest with a guy who flew a Swallow biplane. Still have a picture of him in his coveralls next to the pilot and the airplane. In later years he helped rebuild a beautiful Howard airplane, putting a larger engine in it and full aluminum skin. Last airplane he helped restore was the Boeing 100 biplane, first built in 1926, in the Seattle Air Museum.

I was never really into the older airplanes as my older aero educated bro was (he went on to be chief engineer for the Boeing half of the F-22), while I ended up being interested in later experimental craft such as the X-15.

One of the X-15 test pilots was a fav of mine, Scott Crossfield, who was just a few years ahead of me in my aero classes at the U of Washington, and later in life went on to co-write the book, "Always Another Dawn" about being a test pilot. Crossfield was the first pilot to exceed double the speed of sound in flight.

The X-15 was a phenom for it's time in the 60's, reaching a max altitude of 67 miles (354,200 ft), and a max speed of mach 6.7 (4500 mph), still holding the records for a suborbital manned airplane (the orbital space shuttle doesn't count).

Anyway, Rheinbeck, yes, must see it someday.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Happy Independence Day Alfa Folks.

My flag went up the pole as the sun came up and it will stay there until sundown on Sunday when I go back to work on Monday.

My flag has a special story I usually tell around the fire after the BBQ is consumed.

As a first generation immigrant I appreciate July 4th and all that it means.

Have a good day ahead my fellow Americans.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,257
Our Flag and pole is in Lakeland with ML as we took it down there in May in our last trailer pack out.

I have my flag I got from my last Navy Squadron upon my retirement from active duty in 1979 still Tri-angle folded on a pouch made in our paraloft shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
Enjoying a nice 75F low humidity day, doing some chores around the house and yard, after once again taking the 91S out for it's grocery run. Always look forward to that.

Will celebrate our country's independence of course, always do, but wondering where it is headed now (cannot say I'm not concerned). Will have an international dinner (thinking of all, not just us) a very nice Argentinian shrimp ****tail for two, a Mexican avocado, a couple of fresh Alaska Sockeye salmon filets, a nice bottle of French Viognier wine, and watch the town's fireworks show from our deck. Always a good one (our taxes at work).

Anyway, enjoy this day, remembering the incredible founding of our country and the ethical tenets of democracy the Founding members inspired which we strive to maintain. Brilliant group of individuals for the most part (they did miss on a couple of ideas, lol).

Others around the world in the BB, or not, who participate in, or hope for, democracy and have or wish to have freedoms/independence are certainly welcome to celebrate in their own ways, these ideas being for all.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks for the tip I just got the Kindle version on Amazon for $6.99. Speaking of Spitfires I watched the movie "Dunkirk" a couple of days ago and while I normally hate the phony CGI graphics used to depict aireral scenes in todays movies this stuff was really well done and very realistic. No crazy overblown action, I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.
The most compelling production feature was the lack of dialogue or loud explosions in some scenes. The Spitfire going down, for example, all you heard was the breathing of the surviving plane and not the perspective of the one heading in. Not a Hollywood movie for sure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Not much Alfa time lately. Pool to get running, work to be done (sometimes even producing income!!), sick puppy, so-on. I got the Boge struts back together. New lower bearings, rubbers and bumpers from various sources I have know for awhile. The top bearings, despite the modular design, could not be identified so I freed them up enough to make them work. The left side is still 1 cm lower than the right side but less creaking over bumps. Now, time permitting, I can fix the hole in the trunk (likely the source of the exhaust smell), remove the rear bench to put in a new nut to hold down the heat shield (bolt just spins and spins) and then re and re the cooling fan, rad, pipe, lines and check all of the brake lines from the abs pump and general de-grunging under the airbox. I am still contemplating picking up a 92 that has been sitting for a year. Wrong color for body parts and trim fittings but the interior is beautiful and the glass is all good. Also a good tranny AND the air works!!. The bonus would be the telephone-style wheels. If he agrees, I will pay him and swap my old stock rims for his new ones and he can keep the rest. i just don't want a parts car in the driveway.

13241 - 13260 of 14423 Posts