Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13181 - 13200 of 14425 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
yea Harley, those guns are neat. I measure the temp of **** near everything, kinda like a big kid might. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
"hop in the pool"

Yup, did that as well today.

I've found that one needn't disconnect the battery if the 164 is left for several weeks. Only need to remove the radio fuse to keep the battery pretty much up. When we were gone for 5 weeks, all I had done, as usual, was remove the radio fuses in both 164s, and pull the Milano original radio back out of it's case, and all three started just fine on our return.

Unless one is worried about the car being stolen, then I might even remove the battery completely.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,183
Sleeping Beauty

BB2 in slumber mode for maybe a month this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
This afternoon I took the GT to my wonderful Alfa mechanic to have the timing belt done tomorrow, as it will be five years in September since it was last done for the previous owner, just before I bought it. The car has only done 55,000 km since then. The consensus now with the late Busso engines is that five years or 100,000 km is the interval. The water pump wasn’t done last time for some reason, so that is overdue really. After our experience with the turbo failure in the 159 Sportwagon we thought it best not to tempt fate and leave it till September. I got a set of Pirelli Dragon Sport tyres fitted on Friday and the alignment done after one of the old P7s got shredded when my wife hit an unavoidable pothole. They were all due for replacement anyway. The front toe was out a fair bit on one side, so all is good now.

We are both really enjoying the new 159 1750 TBI. My wife is driving it to school everyday now. I drove it to band practice in the hills on Sunday which was fun. It is noticeably lighter than the wagon and the engine feels more Alfa like. It reminds me of the delightful two litre TS 156 engines in my daughter and son’s girlfriend’s cars, only more powerful.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hope to start putting the boges back together today or tomorrow. Charged the battery (again). My main laptop fried last week and took all of my files, including Alfa service links. I recall reading that the left and right strut (without spring) aren't side specific but not 100% certain of this. How do I identify the left from right Boge strut? Would rather not assemble twice.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
ciao, chris. Italian handbrake for those who are curious

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Ummm, don't know about that one, Chris. Seems creepy, no?

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,190
Front strut spring perches/retainer ID info

Hope to start putting the boges back together today or tomorrow. Charged the battery (again). My main laptop fried last week and took all of my files, including Alfa service links. I recall reading that the left and right strut (without spring) aren't side specific but not 100% certain of this. How do I identify the left from right Boge strut? Would rather not assemble twice.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/146514-identifying-l-r-164-front-strut-spring-perches.html#post707372

Non-electric struts front and rear are interchangeable left or right, but front spring lower spring steel perches and upper steel retainers are side specific.

Later model R/H front perches and upper retainers have a hole drilled in them. See my link above for more info and hose to tell if holes not drilled in R/H parts.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Researching putting the 89 Milano on Hagerty insurance and increasing the Hagerty coverage for the 94 LS.

The MIlano has 100k miles on it, is basically showroom pristine inside and out, and we put only about 600 "show" miles on it a year. And, it is always kept in a locked garage. We shall see what they say.

As for the LS, good friend of mine has his pristine 94LS insured for ~$20k with Hagerty. Says it was worth it as his little accident with it cost ~$13k to fully fix. Our pristine LS is insured for only $12k and he thinks that is way too low these days.

Will have to talk to or email the local Hagerty rep this week to see what they say. Had discussed this subject with them a year ago, and they said, "wait a year and see how you do, then we will talk".

The 91S is insured with Geico, which is ok, being our dd, still going strong.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So this morning my 164 has been having small random misfires, no check engine on and I can feel them faintly through the car, when accelerating it becomes a little more pronounced. It started doing it while the engine was cold then smoothing out when reaching idle temps, but the drive to work this morning I was still having these little misfires even at operating temps. I'm wondering what it could possibly be. On my was home I'll report if I still have this issue or not.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Assuming it is a 91/93, first step might be to check the condition of the plugs and the dist cap and rotor.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Del, That was going to be my first thing to check this weekend.

I drove home from work and it did fine, the small random misfires i mentioned during first start up was still there but smoothed out as the car warmed up and while driving home i did not have the issue
i mentioned above and when fully warmed up idled just fine without any hiccups.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
could be something as simple as fouled plugs. Some work better than others in the V6 engine. As an example, the Bosch Plus 4s do not work well in the 164S model, fouling after several thousand miles in my experience. Wrong heat range I guess.

Switched to the NGK Iridiums (yeah, I know they are more expensive, but got tired of having to clear the fouled plugs), and all has been fine for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ill have to pull the first 3 plugs and see what they look like. I always use NGK when i can, i absolutely love these Plugs and have installed them in every car i own.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Yup, all three of ours have Iridiums. Never have to think about them.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
I've run +4s in the past and had really good luck with them. They lasted a long time, but failed quickly without much warning

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ok so I had a little bit of free time and decided I'll go and check plugs 4, 5, and 6 just to see what they look like and based on the photos looks like I'll be getting plugs this weekend lol. I've done plugs on a 164 the 456 bank seem fairly easy just haven't touched the 1, 2 and 3 cylinders. Cylinder 4 looked the worst

13181 - 13200 of 14425 Posts