Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13161 - 13180 of 14424 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Today I experienced an obnoxious "shake" at high speed in Sophia (164B).
It's not a wheel balancing issue as the shake is not felt in the steering wheel.
It seems to be a bad engine mount or possible a bad steering arm joint at the steering rack....I have had two of these fail lately and now run out of spares.
I will investigate more closely as soon as the evening rain eases or the weekend hits, whichever comes first.
The "shake" only becomes apparent at high speed.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well today after doing a lot of running around and with family I'm town, while I was out I noticed temp Needle was a little bit further this time, getting home I opened the hood and brought out the IR Temp gun and sure enough it was reading normal temperatures. I regularly keep and eye on temps, soon she will be ready for an oil change this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,163
Florida guy and gal(s) update

Well, 815 miles later our Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland HO 4.7L 265 HP brought us w/ML's sister and U-Haul trailer safely to our new to us southern exposure digs once again.

BB2 my 91 164S fired right up, however COMMA now has air bag light flashing. and took me to the grocery store for some vittles and ice for my R&C toddy for the body as we had fridge turned off while we were gone.

Mental written mental to self - self reset air bag computer in my spare time.

Tomorrow we go shopping for mattress sets for guest bedrooms while we still have U-Haul to haul them in.

More than ample rainfall while we were gone has pool water level near flood stage again. Glad I had sprinkler system shut off as lawn mighty green and lush and quickly growing over trenches cut in it for system to be installed without weekly irrigation. I am told winter season is dry season and it is needed then more than in the summer.

Even though this is not that sort of neighborhood "The keeping up w/Jones" up the street had a valet parking party on our street for some reason maybe a kid's graduation. They had a couple white shirt black pants guys running up and down the street parking cars for the event and had their key board set up in host's driveway. Should have crashed the party with my S and had them parked it back in my garage.

Interesting how people operate sometimes.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Today was a nice day and I decided to do an oil change today, got the Mobile 1 15W50 as the oil was on sale for $20 at my walmart.
Due for an oil change as well. I wanted to do it at 170,000 even, but now at 170,600 after a couple weeks of being busy.

If you still have that crown vic, I can tell you that plug and coil replacement is nice and easy on a 99, as well as upper ball joints. #5 cylinder showed misfire on the OBD2 scanner. Sure enough, 7 plugs looked great after 80k, but only #5 was a bit off color.

The 164’s been running a little rough and intermittent check engine light gives the 1214 code, so I read up on that and cleaned all the coolant temp connectors around the tstat housing. Disconnected the battery to clear it and we’ll see what happens in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Not enough "italian tuneup" miles on it, lol. Sure is a sweet car. Be proud. Can't believe there are Alfa types who do not like 164s.

BTW, we tapped into that bottle of Spanish wine you two gave us on our visit. Verrry nice, smooth finish. Can't find it anywhere, though, not even Total wine. Will have to keep looking.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Is it the Juan Gil wine you’re talking about? Ha!

The 164 gets “tuned up” regularly! My car gets a workout. All the way from hot in slow traffic to high speed runs when it’s open.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Yes, that's the wine.

I can believe that you enjoy that car, I sure would. I was, of course, joking but you know that.

BTW, I didn't see the Mustang. Did you hide it from me on purpose, lol?

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Took the red car to Burlington... Skagit Valley Airport to Fiberglass Supply. Picked up some supplies for the cedar strip canoe we're trying to get finished.
Then, over to Wes Ingram's shop to check on my pump. It's in the que and getting close to being spruced up. Wes wasn't there, but Herb is a really great guy and so knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yes, that's the wine.

I can believe that you enjoy that car, I sure would. I was, of course, joking but you know that.

BTW, I didn't see the Mustang. Did you hide it from me on purpose, lol?
I know. Ha! They make a few good wines. I’m surprised it’s not all over. No idea about marketing though.

The mustang is over at my parents place. Just got too busy to get it back here. Work got a little busier than I expected. At the end of May this year, I had the Mustang for 20 years. Got that one at 18.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Spitfire, 233915 is the mileage for mine lol. The oil change was pretty easy up to the point that I didn't have a 1 1/16 socket so a trip to parts store was needed. Yes I do have the crown vic still, im looking for a transmission currently since the engine still starts and runs but barely moves under it's own power.

·
Premium Member
26,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,172
Alfa related nil except for being on BB. I played pool boy this morning racking/sweeping/vacuuming pool and then removed Polaris filter element to wash and flush it out. Pool service couldn't service pool last week as my neighbor trying to be a help last week turned off instead of on a bunch of circuit breakers by mistake.

Turned in U-Haul trailer yesterday after using it to bring two queen mattress sets home.

Today, we are planning a ground level FAM HOP flight - real estate driving tour in Jeep Grand from here to MacDill AFB in Tampa with stops along the way.

Hope to also get our library cards today now that I have copy of utility bill and property record showing we have Lakeland address.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hello fellow 164 owners,
I went for a little drive today around town and the brake light warning light on the dash cluster can on?
I have checked my brake globes one is a;5w 12v(blown) and the other is a 10w 12v i'm not sure which is correct please??

or would it be better to replace the incandescent globes with LED globes?
have a nice day

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Looks like the brake light bulbs should be the standard 1156 bulb, 27 watts according to the Sylvania automotive catalog web site listing for a 91 164. Your choice of style, regular or LED.

·
Premium Member
26,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,176
Looks like the brake light bulbs should be the standard 1156 bulb, 27 watts according to the Sylvania automotive catalog web site listing for a 91 164. Your choice of style, regular or LED.
Wow Del,
Did not think that someone got it so wrong, putting 5w,10w globes
"bloody car yards"

thank's
Single element 1156 bulbs maybe for Euro and Down Under taillight specs, but USA taillight bulbs are 1157 dual element for both taillight and turn/brake light combo functions.

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
He is in OZ, so I figured maybe he has separate bulbs for the rear turn signal and brake lights, since the 1156, 27 watt, is listed for both in the Sylvania automotive catalog. Ours is the 1157 as you say. The regular corner tail light in the catalog is listed as the 168, 5 watt.

He can easily check his car as to what setup his 164 has, and the local auto parts dealer should have bulb application guides to help him.

It is also interesting that the USA 164 owners manual, for one, does not list which bulbs are used. You would think...

·
Premium Member
15,422 Posts
Had a chance to test the a/c in the 91S today, as it was supposed to be 90F. Luckily, this area just doesn't have any humidity worth talking about, is running along about 30% right now, since the hot air comes from the east, literally (and figuratively from DC?). No humidity compared to the Midwest or East Coast.

Used the 91S for hauling some bags of top soil and potting mix. Between this and hauling groceries or lumber, most of the time it is the usual dd usage. Of course I get in a little fun driving as well, lol. Cannot resist that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Had a chance to test the a/c in the 91S today, as it was supposed to be 90F. Luckily, this area just doesn't have any humidity worth talking about, is running along about 30% right now, since the hot air comes from the east, literally (and figuratively from DC?). No humidity compared to the Midwest or East Coast.

Used the 91S for hauling some bags of top soil and potting mix. Between this and hauling groceries or lumber, most of the time it is the usual dd usage. Of course I get in a little fun driving as well, lol. Cannot resist that.
Here on the east coast it got a nice 93F today but felt much hotter, did not take the 164 out today as i wanted to give Crown vic a little run. she will need a Trans for sure. On much hotter days i try to stay in the AC or hop in the pool. I managed to get the AC sorted in the 164 but do not use it that much and with the hotter weather here i like to keep a close eye on those temps with my handy IR Gun, best $15 i have spent lol

·
Premium Member
26,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,180
Disconnected battery on BB2 my 164S today as we are heading back to VB in Jeep Grand tomorrow. Found time to drive it only twice this past week.

13161 - 13180 of 14424 Posts