Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13141 - 13160 of 14485 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Neville, Factory Wiring was left alone, bought an adapter when i was living in Florida to install a aftermarket radio, used that adapter to install new radio today so i did no wire cutting to Factory harness only cutting i did was from the adapter to radio and did all the wiring myself. left antenna unplugged since i do not listen to radio stations.

Del i removed bolt shortly after lol. the aftermarket radio i installed is half the size of a normal radio so no way to use bracket anyway as new radio to short.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Factory Wiring was left alone, bought an adapter when i was living in Florida to install a aftermarket radio, used that adapter to install new radio today so i did no wire cutting to Factory harness only cutting i did was from the adapter to radio and did all the wiring myself.
I had no idea an adapter existed.
I wish I had known at the time.
I found an online wiring conversion and it took a couple of hours reconnecting all those little wires color by color.

Old dogs can learn new tricks....well this old dog can anyway.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
I have a nephew who managed the auto radio department at a Circuit City who told me once that there were adapter harnesses made available for just about every radio/car combination, including Alfas (since he knew I drove nothing but Alfas for longer than he had been alive).

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Indeed, although I had no problems with the newer radios I put in my 164s, as they were just the later Chrysler CD players which matched up well with the wiring plugs in the 164 for the earlier radios which came with the cars new.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Overhauled the fuel pump assembly today. I ran the fuel tank down to less than 1/4 full before I started. Extracting the fuel pump assembly is not too difficult, but does take some turning and futzing to get the basket out of the flange hole. It's important to understand the internal shape of the tank when extracting the assembly. See picture below.

Also important to note is that the basket pushes against the bottom of the tank with the two spring metal straps providing the tension. Therefor when reinstalling, you'll have to push down against those springs to screw the flange back down . . . . hence the importance of the anti-rattle pad on the bottom of the basket.

Surprisingly, the rubber components were in remarkably good shape. I've owned the car for seven years and do not have the maintenance history before that. To guess, I'd say it's been overhauled before. The submersible connector hose was braided, but the internals of the hose looked not too bad. I did replace the one-way check valve, rubber pump collar, bottom anti-rattle pad, submersible connector hose, and the O-rings for the outlet and inlet lines. If the pump collar is new, you'll have to make the existing hole for the "straw" a little bigger with a drill in order to push it through.

The tank itself was almost pristine clean, as was the mesh fuel strainer in the basket. The rubber flange gasket was in good condition and was reused. I did not use Stato-Seals for the flange Allen screws, and it appears, regardless, there is a good seal with no leaks and the tank holds internal air pressure as designed. Before installing the tank ensure that ALL the connections, clamps, power wires to the pump, etc. are clean and tight.

I tried to remove the tank quantity sending unit but it would not come out past about 3/4 of an inch out before binding severely in the flange hole. Since it is working, I left well enough alone. I even tried reaching in the tank and push up from underneath. No dice.

I removed the battery and everything from the trunk and sat in the spare tire well on a pad. I'm 5'9" and fit barely ok. If you're a 6-footer, make sure your insurance covers back strains.

Also, when you refit the battery, be ready to disable the alarm system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Howdy

Had both cars out driving this weekend. A lot of pleasant alfa miles :)

Attended a Alfa luncheon sponsored by CT- AROC in NW CT with the Milano and drove down to Stonington, CT today with the LS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Nice to see both of them out in the sunlight. Love the color of that Verde.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
We held our annual All Renewal Day and last show and shine for the year yesterday at the Sporting Car Club. It is an opportunity for members with historic vehicles to renew their membership and get their log books stamped without having to make an appointment with the historic register officers. Historic registration is for vehicles 30 years or older and allows you to drive your car for 90 days of the year very cheaply, provided you have current club membership and fill out the logbook every time you drive the car. We have members with Australian, American, and British cars as well as Alfas. I have my 1988 Range Rover on historic rego.

I spent Saturday detailing the new late 2010 built, (2011 first registered), 159 for the show and shine. The engine is so clean that I only had to wipe over the coolant bottle cap. The rest of the car is like new inside and out. The previous owner certainly looked after it very well. Everyone was very impressed with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Always enjoy the pictures of the Alfas and descriptions of the drives you take in your area. Been many years since we've been there, but can still relate with some of them. Of course, always envious of the cars we couldn't get.

Some day maybe again, sigh.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Thanks Del. I love seeing photos of your cars and area as well. It would be great to see you here one day.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
We fell in love with the 159 wagon styling when we saw them in Italy, and actually, one here in Seattle (only for a short while at Microsoft). Regardless of what some may think of the drivetrain, we could buy one for the looks and decent handling. The new cars just don't seem to have that spark of Italian styling IMHO.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hmmm I wonder how they went about importing one. I remember a while back Neville seen a 156 here in the states him and the other guy in the 156 was driving along the highway. that would break the 25 year import rule.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I've driven several 156 and they are very nice. The 25 yr rule is coming up and they are very cheap here. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,157
After driving to Blacksburg Thursday and back on Saturday and NOT seeing my bud's not yet delivered Stelvio, I drove my Jeep Grand to Manassas near DC on Sunday following my son to bring him back from my grandsons.

So, I drove BB1 to beach last night and to PT this morning. Stored it back in the garage at Alfa house.

If you know anybody who needs one, I brought back from Blacksburg a brand new OEM Valeo Milano 2.0L TS or 2.5L V6 radiator still in original AR box. I bought him it in 2010. He sold car and never needed it.

It is a Valeo TA549 PA66-GF30 AR 60507819

It is not listed for the Milano Verde which is 60534151.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
The 159 at Microsoft was a special temporary import just so Microsoft could work with the car, so I heard, then it had to go back, sob.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
I was told that the Verde version radiator is the only one available now, as the 2.5l Milano version turned out to have just a too little capacity in very hot conditions.

I can certainly confirm that radiator's reduced performance in extreme conditions, having our new Milano overheat in stop and go Arizona heat on a drive to El Paso, and the long uphill climb on the Interstate from Palm Springs to Arizona in 1990. Had to take off the front license plate, turn off the a/c, and run the heater, lol, to help the cooling. Overheat red light time, gauge almost pinned. Boy, that was pure torture. No problems with the new Verde radiator.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Spend an easy 1/2 hour to change the oil and filter in the 91S this morning. Using the smaller 24v engine filter makes it easier. Pull the rhs front tire off, reach in with the band clamp to loosen the filter, not having to remove anything else on the car. Unscrew it, drain the oil from the sump and wait a little while. New filter and oil added. Pretty easy, easier than the LS, but same routine, the LS having less clearance around it's power steering pump.

Ran the LS around the block a couple of times to exercise it, hadn't been run for a few weeks. So nice, so different than the 91S.

13141 - 13160 of 14485 Posts