Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13121 - 13140 of 14426 Posts

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Yes, Steve. 164's a/C's aren't upto much, are they. I've been thinking lately about adding a 2nd small condenser in front of my existing parallel flow for more heat removal and better condensing

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
I'd be interesting to see if the system is limited by condenser or evaporator capacity.

I actually think mine does pretty well considering it's black on black. Once the cabin is cooled a bit, I'm getting 40 deg air out the vents in recirc and the heater hose valve closed. I wonder, however, how much residual heat is transferred to the heater core even though one hose is valved off. I may try putting another valve on the other heater hose.

·
Premium Member
15,429 Posts
I have experienced that the a/c on the LS is much better than that for the 91S.

·
Premium Member
26,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,125 (Edited)
Bought a new gently used garage kept silver 2014 Lark 5x7 with V-nose cargo trailer w/3000# axle and 15" wheels to match our Jeep Grand today from a Coastie Officer who bought it in St Pete so already tagged and "titled" in FL. Left it and Jeep in driveway at Alfa house. Will be adding some bolted in "tie down" mounts in floor and side wall mounts

Washed and did a "wax on wax off" cleaner treatment to BB1 and then it rained big time. I will hopefully get rest of wax residue off tomorrow.

Did drive BB1 home to beach house tonight. Played with 3-2 slapping downshifting of automatico in medium to heavy traffic. Did I ever tell ya'll how much I enjoy driving BB1? I expect the 164S engine in it helps add little boost to my enjoyment.

I think I could almost sell BB2 my 164S and keep BB1 without any real angst.

The Jeep Grand and cargo trailer combo will be making some parts runs to FL probably starting in July.

My son leaves tomorrow with his 7.1L diesel Ford PU and 18' trailer for St Pete.

I have to follow him in JGC and his 32v Lincoln Navigator to my grandson's in NVA next Sunday as G-son will be keeper of it and 14' trailer up there.

This like son like father moves of ours to FL is coming to near completion for my son but I will be taking longer.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Drove the red car to my daily walk. Today it was at Lincoln Park around the new Disco Golf course, then on to Marine Drive...total 3.5 miles.
No time to work on a running Alfa as the hot water tank started leaking. I get to test my soldering and piping skills installing a propane fired, outside mounted tankless unit.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
We spent a few hours with Del and Barbara yesterday and had a very nice time. They took a ride down to my house.

Hopefully they missed the rain that came down shortly after they left. Mother Nature decided to power wash.

Not much Alfa wise happening, but I’ll have a Crown Vic to tune up next weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,128 (Edited)
It pays to pay attention

Alfa related removed swirl remover compound from BB1 that I could not get off yesterday before cloud burst hit me and BB1,

Took some doing getting it off today. Managed to get it off using Megairs cleaner wax but rain came again before I could get a Nu-finish sealer coat on. Maybe tomorrow will be better weather.

Scored the semi-deal of the day on 13 qts of some $7.69 a qt Pennzoil platinum marked down to 3.85. Will take care of two oil changes on the 04 JGC and the 09 Bu and a couple spares left over. The cashier peeled off the red clearance 3.85 label off the 7.69 label and rang up $90 some dollars. Whoa wait a minute I said no way. Why would I pay full-price when sale price labels are on all bottles and also on the clearance rack shelf? She said I will have to trust you. *** me was thinking why would I put 13 LABELS AND LABEL 14 ON THE SHELF.

·
Premium Member
15,429 Posts
" Del - Why do you think that is?"

Beats the heck out of me. Just a better setup somehow I guess. Never been touched at all, not even refilled or topped up.

·
Premium Member
15,429 Posts
Had great visits with Frank (multicam) and his friend Mary, and John (spitfire) and his wife in the last couple of days. Great people and fine Alfa owners. Always a pleasure to meet up with Alfa fans.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi guys
went i was working at an car parts shop one of the representative remarked that Nu-finish "the one a year car polish"
and if you read the back of the bottle it says that you need to apply every 6 mouths 'would'n that be twice a year"LOL

Took some doing getting it off today. Managed to get it off using Megairs cleaner wax but rain came again before I could get a Nu-finish sealer coat on. Maybe tomorrow will be better weather.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
26,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,132
Flat tire mania on BB1

Had to go to daughter's rehab post fire house today and had to [wanted to] drive BB1 as I had JGC hooked to trailer.

Hit a BIG pot hole on the way rushed onto house did what I needed to do at house and was supposed to meet ML at our property manager office next.

Out I bound towards BB1 to make that appointment only to notice RR FLAT but only on one side.

Whip out after unloading truck jack and tool kit only to find factory lug wrench will not fit into holes in aftermarket wheels to loosen lug bolts.

Lucky me as you know GOD is my pilot, daughter's neighbor was home and had a 3/4" socket and breaker bar set up he lends me to change tire.

I make appointment 15 minutes late and we have a great time planning how we will let them manage our beach house rentals when we are relocated to FL full-time.

Now to find nail or cause of flat tire but first ML and I have lunch at Mary's Restaurant (JC96 aka Chris knows where that is located). I go to Alfa house and inflate tire and note bent inner side of rim. Using garden hose I see bubbles on inner bead seal area couple inches from bent area. Also notice sprigs of grass now caught in area of bubbles as I inflated tire laying on the grass. I removed valve core and was able to push down tire enough to remove grass stems and re-inflate tire. Voila no leaks pumped up to 45 psi and double checked inner/outer bead seals and thread for leaks.

Now, I had to add to 164 tool kit proper tools to change the aftermarket wheels before daughter inherits BB1 again or for real before I move to FL full-time. I added a special 3/4" socket I got from IAP years ago that will fit wheel openings and had a 3/4 hex head that the factory tool wrench will fit on. I also added a cheater bar pipe to slip over factory lug wrench and 5 longer OEM lugs bolts to fit the 164L full size spare as aftermarket wheels use shorter bolts and I had to remove 3mm spacer (originally only on front wheels) I had on rears to use shorter bolts with 164L wheel.

I will conduct refresher training with daughter on changing tire on BB1. She was trained some years ago without any special tools or wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Quite a day you had Alfisto, you need to come down to sunny FL and relax in that swimming pool for the summer.

Meanwhile beneath the Mighty Live Oaks I indulged myself Sunday by swapping out old Sophia (164B) ratty front seats for a pair of nice LS seats I inherited with the Christmas Alfa (164L) advertised as Recaro's but not so.
Having found the replacement seat controls I finally did the swap.

Nothing is easy.

Passenger side seat only moves forward halfway so I cannot attach the rear screws to hold the seat to the floor pan.
For the time being any passenger will ride in the back seat whilst I figure out what gives there.

Driver side fought me all the way as the last front screw would not take properly into the threaded bracket in the floor.
Eventually I pulled the seat out again to replace the threaded floor bracket and now it's all tight.

The seats are in position but the mosquito onslaught commenced before I could properly verify everything.
At least I can drive tomorrow as the seat controls work on driver side for correct positioning.
I will check it all out further tomorrow evening.

Next weekend hopefully back to the two rebuild projects.

BTW Tire Kingdom friends would not plug my punctured tire as too near the shoulder so I plugged it myself.
It's a relatively new tire so I will see how it goes.
My plug survived the spirited commute today.

I am now a Vulcan.....

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
9,975 Posts
Installed a good used power steering cooling loop to replace the rusted one on the car. Best way to get to the hose connections is to remove the left side inner wheel well plastic splash guards.

·
Premium Member
26,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,135
Changed out bad L/R window regulator today on BB4. Used good one from QS2. Will change R/R next but next week as we are going out of town tomorrow to see my bud his wife and their new Stelvio.

Finally got the once or twice a year NU-Finish sealer coat on BB1 after I went to rec ctr for first time in months as no PT until next Monday for lower back.

We three had a conference with kitchen designer at noon and daughter was able to select kitchen countertop, bathroom vanities and sink tops.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
This evening I replaced the two ugly black rear headrests on Sophia (91 164B) with two nice headrests I acquired off the car ROBVOLZ just sent to the crusher.
Sophia now has LS Recaro seats throughout.

I just need to resolve the halfway horizontal slide issue on the passenger front seat so that I can bolt it down at the back.

I also need to figure out what to do with the excess wires dangling from each seat.
The seat controls work fine, so what are all those loose wires not doing I wonder?

A nice Alfa evening here in Paradise.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
15,429 Posts
LS has more complicated seat controls. Something I personally didn't care for, thus the S seats in my LS.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well I had a fun filled Alfa day today, removed old Alpine Stereo that Chaz had installed and went with a simple Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth. All went smooth except that 1 bolt on L bracket behind radio lol. Grabbed old radio harness adapter I had bought years ago when I had my first alfa as I was planning a Radio swap in that one but kept the harness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Nice fit Harley.
Yes it's never easy behind that L bracket.
You had it easy as Chazzy must have already done the wiring conversion or did you omit that part?

Sophia (164B) still has the standard cassette unit which I use daily.
The old antennae is no longer retracting fully which means I have work in that area soon.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
15,429 Posts
When I changed radios in my 164s years ago, I omitted that bolt in the back in each car, and have had no problems since.

13121 - 13140 of 14426 Posts