Alfa Romeo Forums banner

13041 - 13060 of 14423 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Oz sorry for your loss on the 159 wagon but glad for your recovery with the sedan..
Thanks Steve and Chris. We really enjoyed that car. When these things happen you have to move on I reckon. I hope I can make some of the money back either selling the wagon as a whole to someone who wants to put another engine in it, or selling off parts. The latter will be a hassle though. We are trying not to dwell on the loss of the Sportwagon and the money and look forward to the new one instead.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
oz, that's beautiful!! I hope you get to drive it some. Today Rossa got a new seal on the transaxle. See the thread if you wanna see the pics. I did the battery swap too. While the old one was out, I checked the vent flapper things. I get the typical stink when the front window is down. Driver side flaps well. Pass side the flappy thing is gone. Just a grate. So in my infinite wisdom, I duct taped them both shut. Used cammo color tape so the trunk inside looks rather Christmasy. Checked the voltage both at the battery and the firewall and am getting 14.2 with the engine idling. Put another Interstate in her from our on base store. 122 bucks. MT40R. More CCA and capacity than the last one. Ran the pressure washer across the underside of her and now she's resting prior to me taking her for a ride to test the seal job. ciao, chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please SHARE AR 6C 2500 Sport STOLEN

Last night this white Brian James trailer INCLUDING Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport from 1942 have been stolen in Brecia, Italy. It is there to participate in the Mille Miglia. Who has seen the trailer and Alfa? Please share!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
That'll be hard to hide. Good luck for its safe return. Road tested Rossa earlier and all is normal in the world. No leaks and best of all no exhaust odor in the cabin. I tried with some windows down, some partially down and all the combinations I could think of and I got no odor(s) in the cabin. Even was able to get the clock reset on the first try. The hour set gives me fits every single time! Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Folks,

On the way home from work during a spirited drive in lighter than usual traffic I stopped by CVS to pickup a ready prescription.
As I pulled in the parking area I saw steam erupt from the driver side hood just near the coolant reservoir.

Temperature gauge was still OK showing normal temperature.

With the hood open I was able to see that the coolant sender cap was letting out coolant at a rapid rate in the form of steam.
I let it all subside as nothing much else I could do and it was raining too.
With the steam going away I went inside to collect my prescription and let everything cool down.
Fortunately I was about two miles from home.
I limped home by switching engine off at traffic lights and coasting in neutral as much as possible.

The coolant level sender cap was tight but was letting coolant out as steam.

After everything cooled down again I checked the cap seal which looked perfectly fine to me.
I put the cap back on extra tight and refilled the reservoir which had lost over a gallon of coolant.

I drove out again this even on an errand and so far so good.

We will see what happens tomorrow during the commute.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Don't you think it was steaming because the coolant level got to low from a leak? I'd be letting it idle beneath the Mighty Live Oaks or drive around the block several times close to home so I could figure out why it steamed?

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
My friend Alpaca Mike (4 164s) is stuck in Nicaragua amid all the protests and violence. He had a flight booked out yesterday, but couldn't get to the airport because of roads blocked by protesters and bus stations closed because of no fuel. A priest was shot today in Matagulpa, near where he lives. Scary....

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Don't you think it was steaming because the coolant level got to low from a leak? I'd be letting it idle beneath the Mighty Live Oaks or drive around the block several times close to home so I could figure out why it steamed?
Maybe I misled with the term "steaming".

There was a steady very fine steam like spray which eminated from reservoir coolant level sender cap.
I believe that was high temperature coolant escaping and not steam as such.
I can find no other source of any leaking coolant.
Yes I did look in the driver side foot well beneath the heater unit.
I am confident all the hoses are good.

This engine typically does not run hot as others seem to, but of course that might just be a lower reading temperature sender.

Nevertheless I chickened out this morning and took Jenny (164L manual) to work instead simply because we expected and got big rain today and I did not want to deal with possible loss of coolant in those conditions.

I also had an important early morning meeting.

It's not often I wimp out on my Alfa's......sorry Sophia (164B automatic).

I will resume diagnosis as the weather clears....lots of welcome rain here.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Could be a non function coolant cap. I had the coolant overflow in hot weather at the Maryland Convention and it was the coolant tank was not keeping pressure. Skip P. diagnosed it for me.
Got a new cap from Centerline at the convention and was all set to drive the car home.

Today, my Alfa related event was to move the '59 Giulietta Sprint back home from neighborly storage down the street. Was lucky having a nice neighbor. Situations change and the hose is being put on the market.

Frozen brake shoes/ lining were a bit of a chore to overcome. Kroll sprayed into the drum dust holes and a padded crowbar on the lug nutted studs did the trick.

Need a bigger garage.

Frank

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Got a rock chip near the edge of the windshield on the Red Car on Wednesday.

Made an appointment with Safelite to fill the crack on Thursday (appointment for Saturday when I don't work my day job).

By Friday, the crack had spread to being about 8 inches long. No way crack repair will fix that.

How hard is it to replace the windshield and get a good result now that the side trims are NLA?

Thanks,
Rex

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
RC got some exercise today. Had to run to Bricofer. It's a place, kinda the Italian equiv to Home Depot except not as good. So 20km turned into close to 100 and I saw a 76 Alfetta GTV driven by an older couple as well as a 74 or so, Giulia 1300 driven by another older couple. Waves were exchanged. A very Alfa morning. ciao, chris

·
Registered
878 Posts
Pulled of front struts last evening. No visible issues that I can see (bends, damage to the housing, rust on the strut chrome). Bellows are worn to pieces. I will be taking apart once I find a set of spring compressors and look up procedures. Also pulled the rear bench to get to a heat shield bolt that seems to be spinning. It was obvious a mouse had taken up residence under the seat at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Alfa convention

Pic I snapped at Bricofer this morning. Stelvio q4 and a 159 and RC. ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi people,
So I have been driving my car for two days now so today I booked it in for a wheel alignment and to get the A/C re-gased
I ask him not to put in R134a so he is putting refrigerator that he use's on trucks.
Thankfully if it doesn't work then no cost, but I must confess I'm a little nervous about it.

Regards Shane

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,056 (Edited)
Welcome back Alfisti! I R reporting in from non-sunny and somewhat liquid laced FL. I have been able to drive BB2 my 164S to and from Home Depot a 13 mile round trip many times this week. Puts a smile on my face but going from 30 mph to 50 back to 40 back to 35 to 30 to to 45 and finally to 55 for 6 feet. Managed to get it up on the cams and beyond a few times by slowly upshifting.

We got in Monday with Jeep Grand and U-Haul and Tuesday it started raining and has rained every day. Had to lower the water level in the pool Sunday as water had raised enough to cover the tile border and about 2" from flood stage over the pool deck. This June-July-August event in May is the most in the month of May since 1915 according to the local fish wrap.

We are having a good time watching the irrigation system installers try to get sprinkler system installed. We were supposed to go back to VB today but looks like maybe Wednesday now.

Daughter's house rebuild in VB coming along. We have some appointments in VB next week with flooring and general contractor next week.

We canceled our POD load out for June to move Alfa stuff south. I don't think I will be moving stuff before July at the earliest.

Saw a RED Stelvio yesterday while coming back from Home Depot. Saw a Fiat 500L recently and quite a few 500's and a couple Maseratis here, too.

Audi's seem to be the furrin car of choice for Euro appliances. Some Bimmers and Mercs thrown in besides the usual Asian stuff and pickem ups.

I have been working off "fly gripes" on the new digs. I got all 4 post lamps around the pool working this morning after installing a new GFCI outlet and repairing a broken wire in one light socket. Yesterday I ran 12-2 with ground inside a conduit under irrigation piping in trench to backyard shed to replace the 16-2 w/ground green landscape lighting cable PO had buried which LS trencher easily severed.

Met and chatted with more of the neighbors. Seems like a friendly street we bought into. Interacting on FB with my Lakeland High School group and met a guy younger than me working in HD whose daughter also had my High School English teacher who taught school here until into her 90's who taught us for over 60 some years. they say she retired in her 90's. http://www.theledger.com/article/LK/20080407/News/608140846/LL/

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Welcome to soggy FL Alfisto.
We haven't had the same amount of rain as you have had, but it was murky here all week and today too.

Glad to see you are settling in nicely.

I will give you a few more weeks before I raid your fridge and dive into your pool.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
A historic Alfa day in Blaine! I uncovered the Berlina and pushed it's engineless carcass from the right storage side to the working left side of the shop. It's been under cover for 7 long years. Hope to spend some quality time with it over the next year.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
A historic Alfa day in Blaine! I uncovered the Berlina and pushed it's engineless carcass from the right storage side to the working left side of the shop. It's been under cover for 7 long years. Hope to spend some quality time with it over the next year.
I look forward to the Berlina being center of attraction beneath the Mighty Live Oaks 2019.

It will be surrounded but not intimidated by 164's.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
26,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,060 (Edited)
Only Alfa related I did today was disconnect battery in BB2 as we head back to RIGHT COAST of VA tomorrow.

I hope to be back to new digs in Lakeland by July when it is really hot weather. Not for the weather but to relocate more stuff we will probably never need or use.

Sprinkler install dude gave me a quick how to run our new irrigation 4 zone system today as he covered up his install trenchers.

I got owner's manual from him and also found the pdf on line:

https://www.hunterindustries.com/sites/default/files/LIT-397-RevG-OM-X-CORE-EN-web.pdf

My contract lawn guy helped me get basket ball backboard and post out of the ground so we could run irrigation line in its place and I won't ever crash BB2 into it. I gave it to him for his grandson so a win-win situation.

Attachments

13041 - 13060 of 14423 Posts