Alfa Romeo Forums banner

12181 - 12200 of 14423 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Tonight, while reviewing some old Alfa notes, listened to a Cat Stevens concert in which he sang some of his early songs he wrote for the 1971 dark comedy movie "Harold and Maude". Great stuff. If you haven't seen the movie, make an effort to do so. Makes you think.
Del, I was a Cat Stevens fan from the start and his music is beautiful.
I went off him when he dedicated his music proceeds to terrorist and misguided ends.
He recently seemed to realize his mistake and reject that stuff so maybe I will change my mind too.

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
I agree. Kinda did the same. I don't know just how "misguided" he was in the beginning, but it is clear he changed his mind about the situations which developed as time went on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Put the Alfa in the garage a few days ago and now is where it will be sitting for a few months.
Wow I didn't think 164's need to be coddled during winter.....heater works real well.
Neville the 164 is rust free, I live in the rust belt and the salt they lay here is some nasty stuff. I've seen cars from 2013 already rusting. Not heavy but you can see it from the bottom. Plus I have another car I'll drive during winter.

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
"Wow I didn't think 164's need to be coddled during winter"

Not just 164s in that time period. There were many cars of different makes which tended to dissolve before your very eyes. They have learned a lot about automobile corrosion since then.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts

Harley and Del put my in my place......I live in FL and I never lived anywhere less ambient.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Harley and Del put my in my place......I live in FL and I never lived anywhere less ambient.
I know you live in Florida Neville, but up north we get a lot of snow and salt comes with that to clear the roads. The Alfa up here would look as bad as the rusted Alfa you had a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
"I live in FL and I never lived anywhere less ambient"

Lol, I've been there a few times, just too hot and humid in the summer. Probably good for Alfas, though. Almost as good as the Seattle area, wink, wink. I like having warm summers, not hot, and no humidity in the summer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
an outing in the 164

Since I got Hefe's 164 back on the road, he took me to a Christmas party tonight in it! There was a moment of panic when we couldn't remember how to turn the dash lights on, but with a flashlight we remedied that. The party was only in Athena, so a quick drive, but tomorrow we will venture all the way to Pendleton and see if we can make it back!f Yes, its heater is working great, with the new heater core we installed last winter. Good thing it AND the Spider are running now, because our other DDs aren't driveable at the moment.

V

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Bravo!! Knew you would eventually get it right.

·
Premium Member
26,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,194 (Edited)
Battling COLD weather hose clamping leaks, etc....

This is the start of the cooling off period when those summer hose clamp setting relax a bit.

I think I have BB4's bodily fluids pretty much contained now except for oil leaking from front valve cover gasket I had off this summer fo check valve clearances and reused gasket.

I had four coolant leaks at 4 clamps on short hoses going from thermostat housing to oil cooler tubing in front of rear timing belt covers.

Found a small spot this morning underneath where lower radiator hose connects to radiator bottom outlet.

Had/have power steering leak driver's side at cooling tube hose clamp and another one where reservoir supply hose connects to pump supply hose joining fitting. Slowed these down so floor dry today

Thought I had a L/F brake line leak but it was the clear P/S fluid leak.

Lucky though as that P/S leak made me notice badly rusted L/F brake line. I changed out that line running from brake hose to ABS pump with spare line and bleed that brake caliper.

Now for my not so smart move, since oil was last changed early 2016 when I got the car in non-running state, I changed oil and filter and added 8 quarts 10w40 GTX. Guess what, I forgot that later model 164's have shallow oil pans and only take 7 quarts!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I have embarked on a new car rescue project now that the black 75 is being used by my son as his daily driver. It is not an Alfa but I did drive the GT, with my son and his girlfriend, to my sister’s place in the country to pick it up on Friday. It is a 1988 Range Rover Classic Highline that my brother in law has had sitting on his property for the last six years, after he bought it cheap with a blown engine and didn’t end up using it much. My youngest brother, who is an expert with Range Rovers, did a heap of work on it, including fitting a low mileage late 90s Discovery 4 litre V8, with a brand new camshaft, rebuilt injectors, a recored radiator, reconditioned steering box and pump, Discovery rear springs and few other bits and pieces. It is in excellent mechanical condition and even has almost new tyres. It has suffered cosmetically from sitting in the sun and being used as a farm hack. I only paid $500 for it. My brother came up and checked the transfer case and auto trans oils, changed the engine oil, patched an exhaust leak and pressure bled the brakes so I could drive it home with my son following me in the GT just in case. It drove like a dream. So far I have thoroughly cleaned and detailed the intrerior and it is looking very nice. The seats and carpets are in excellent condition and it has tailor made lambskin front seat covers that used to belong to my other brother’s RR that was written off in an accident. The headlining is missing because my brother in law pulled it out and ended up throwing it away for some unknown reason. It was only suffering from the sagging cloth problem that the 75s do. I will have to get another one from a wrecking yard. The next job is to clean the engine and replace the under bonnet insulation. At some point we will paint the upper surfaces and cut and polish the sides. I have had a soft spot for Rangies since I had a 1985 manual one back in the 90s.This one has the same ZF auto as the 164, with lock up torque converter. We needed a tow vehicle for future caravanning trips and this is a very economical way to get one. They are very comfortable vehicles to drive and are immensely capable off road. Next year it will be eligible for historic registration. I love rescuing neglected cars and this will keep me busy getting it looking nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,196 (Edited)
My son went through the RR phase and had bout 6 over the years. His last two left my house some years back one a truck with a Buick roadmaster estate wagon on it already. The other one on hook with rear driveshaft removed.

He had RR classics SWB/LWB and ended up with a 4.6L HSE for last one which we had to put in a new transfer case but final blow as air suspension went kaput and riding on frame/axle set up was to harsh.

He went over to the dark side world of Mercedes ML500, etc... but grandson totaled their ML500 in ice storm.

His luxo tow vehicle of choice now is older 32v Lincoln Navigator w/performance tranny and coil spring suspension conversions.

Their daily drivers now are all Mercedes 3.2 and 5.5 AMG SL Mercs and daughter in law has the Merc estate wagon now.

He and grandson went through their Fiat, Lancia, Alfa and Maserati stages, too.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
This one has had the airbags replaced with normal shocks, which is a very common modification in Australia. They are far less trouble and perform very well.

·
Premium Member
26,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,198
This one has had the airbags replaced with normal shocks, which is a very common modification in Australia. They are far less trouble and perform very well.
All his earlier RR had springs and one had Old Man Enu set up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Oil leak

Went to the garage and did a checkup and found a puddle behind the driver side wheel
Any idea where that's coming from? Is it engine oil, tranny oil, brake/clutch or power steering?

This just happened to my Subaru, and for me it means replacing a cam seal. I hope your fix won't be to difficult!

V

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I still have my 2001 Discovery which I upgraded last year by installing a used 4.6 liter that had 80k miles on it. I replaced the air springs with aftermarket Arnotts that have lifetime guarantee. People in this country will pay crazy money for a NA spec Defender which is basically a Discovery without any of the comfort and you can find decent Discos all day long for next to nothing. I've had to work on it some (no more so than a 164) but I will say that it has always managed to get me home and never left me stranded. With the high seating position and short wheelbase it is stupendous off road. I still enjoy driving it and I've had it for over ten years.

12181 - 12200 of 14423 Posts