Alfa Romeo Forums banner

9921 - 9940 of 14430 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Old Blue has a remote starter to thaw it out before I need to open the door. Automatic tranny makes it easy to install remote start.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Made some headway on cleaning the '79 Spider engine compartment.
Most of the mess appears to be from leaks around the oil vapor can and lack of hose clamps.
Once semi-clean I am able to see where a few small bolts are missing.
Got a 1980 manual and it is still Spica so should be useful when I have the time to apply what it documents.
Cannot find the warm/cold adjustment lever on the Spica pump, I clearly remember the '73 having one.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Made some headway on cleaning the '79 Spider engine compartment.
Most of the mess appears to be from leaks around the oil vapor can and lack of hose clamps.
Once semi-clean I am able to see where a few small bolts are missing.
Got a 1980 manual and it is still Spica so should be useful when I have the time to apply what it documents.
Cannot find the warm/cold adjustment lever on the Spica pump, I clearly remember the '73 having one.
Lever went away by 1975.

You really should get the manual from Ingram. The 80/81 model year while still Spica is very different from all the other years.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,924 (Edited)
FWIW - BB1 to the rescue today

Seem like those Hyundais ain't as reliable as a 164.

Daughter's BF's 2010 Genesis 2.0 Turbo 4-banger has possible cam timing solenoid issue. She didn't know the CEL code so I am guessing but, he changed some part last night and it still ran like crap this morning so he took her inherited grandfather's car to work and it was "The Ford Taurus the one with the new brakes" (old NH/VT Yankee farmers joke). Farmer's wife ran off with the hired hand and she took the Ford truck the one with the new clutch!

Anyhow, I fired up and backed out BB1 from the garage and took it over to daughter's house and we got to have a nice visit as we drove back to my house so she could go on to work.

AT only 210,000 miles it is still one of the best cars we have in the stable. Oh, I almost forgot "It is the 164L with the 164S engine in it w/AT.

I am thinking since A/T now leaking some oil at 210K, I may finish building up my good 6096 miles 164L engine with a spare low mileage A/T I have under the work bench, test run that combo and install it into BB1 this spring. I have another set of later Euro spec cam pulleys and roiund tooth sprockets for crank and new timing belts I could put on that engine, too.

I do have that Euro mod set up already on that S engine with mechanical tensioner.

I would like to put the S engine and S tranny set up in the 93L non-BB4 as my last hurrah 164 along with sport system, etc I have taken off the white 164L I just sold.

Maybe then, I can market my 164S and go out of the boy racer look and have a sleeper rod with the S disguised power plant inside the 93L.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Had a similar experience this morning. Wife's white Honda Minivan (Moby) had a flat battery. My truck was at the shop. Old Blue started up and took daughter to school, wife to shop to recover truck and me to work.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Boy it's cold outside! At least here in CT.

Subaru's power steering pump is not making noise so it's not that cold yet.

Just ordered a 164 Emla headlight from Europe.

Got a question. Shipper is asking for a TaxID number. I told him I don't have one. Is that going to delay the shipment?

Going to Italy in the Spring, I don't think I want to wait that long.

Frank

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,928

Subaru's power steering pump is not making noise so it's not that cold yet.

Just ordered a 164 Emla headlight from Europe.

Got a question. Shipper is asking for a TaxID number. I told him I don't have one. Is that going to delay the shipment?

Going to Italy in the Spring, I don't think I want to wait that long.

Frank
VAT - value added tax probably. It is 22% on purchase price and shipping. I had to pay it on shipment I got from IT recently. I don't think if he accepts PayPal it should be an issue but what do I know.

I had to pay MY BANK a wire transfer fee plus euro exchange rate fee since seller wasn't in PP loop.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
If the item is leaving a VAT country for a non VAT country. Then VAT is not supposed to be collected. Thats why the Euro parts house give a VAT and non VAT price.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That's right, it is improper to charge VAT on a foreign sale, seller is probably inexperienced. Frank, you should also request that the seller places headlight in a larger box (the box that's shown is not worthy for transatlantic shipping!).

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
On reliability: It was raining like heck yesterday so I took the Land Rover to work. About halfway there I was sensing something's not right. I was doing 65 mph and noticed the tach was reading 3700 rpm so I look at the gear selector and the light is blinking. Also then notice the 'D' in the LCD display is blinking and when I lean forward I see two other little gear shaped warning lights with 'M' and 'S' flashing in the instrument panel. I sure didn't want to deal with this driving home at night in the rain so I turned around and went back home. Took the 164 to work.

After looking through the manual it seems the electronic automatic transmission detected some sort of fault and went into "limp home mode" which basically just locks it in 3rd gear. I shut it down and restarted and all is normal again. I think I vaguely remember it doing this once a long time ago shortly after I bought the truck but it never happened again so I just sort of forgot about it.

The wonders of modern technology. As a side note, just as I was getting back home I passed a flatbed tow truck with a fairly new Toyota Highlander on the back. At least the old Disco got me home.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Wait. Let me see if I understand this. It was raining cats and dogs, so you decided to take a British car to work? This does not compute.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Hah, here in the rainy NW, when driving old British cars, we were used to weird actions from wet electrics. I remember my bro's Mini not running right in the rain one night, lifting the hood and seeing blue flashes from around the spark plug wires. We just had to laugh about that.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Frank
Yes, my 164 didn't want to crank to quickly on the past plus/minus 20F days. Maybe battery replacement time.

Still driving in spite of the white salt spray they're coating 95 with. I've been putting quite a few miles on the car this year.

Good luck with your repairs.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
"Still driving in spite of the white salt spray they're coating 95 with"

Hope that is with the Muttsang, not the 164.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Drove the problem child for the first time in a week or two tonight before it snows. She's nothing if not consistent. Rear struts shot, Alignment bad, motor mounts bad, but it ran and shifted well, and didn't reak of fuel or exhaust.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
"Still driving in spite of the white salt spray they're coating 95 with"

Hope that is with the Muttsang, not the 164.
Ha! How bad is that stuff when it's dry out?

It's tough not to drive the Alfa.

The Ford helps me hang onto my youth! If nothing else, you'd be impressed with it's physical condition. :smile2:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wait. Let me see if I understand this. It was raining cats and dogs, so you decided to take a British car to work? This does not compute.
Ten years and over 100,000 miles through some pretty wild stuff the Disco has always gotten me home even after blowing a head gasket half way across Nevada, I've never had to make that Triple A call. I might add that the wiper arms have never decided to detach themselves from the spindles either. :)

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
"How bad is that stuff when it's dry out?"

Judging by all the rust I see in pictures of 164s, and their engines, being worked on back there, must do something, lol. Have to admit, I am pretty amazed sometimes when I see all the rusty engine parts. Not used to seeing any of that.

One of these times, you will have to bring the Stang up, and let me try driving it. Never driven one before. The only at least semi-performance American car I've driven was my father's 67 Olds 442. Was fast, but pretty much a pig to drive otherwise, and you could just about land an airplane on that big flat hood. Eventually he bought a Merkur XR4ti, which was fun to drive. He did like that.

·
Premium Member
26,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,940
Freezing rain warnings west of us this morning but here on the right coast just mid 30s plus and rain. BB2 safely tucked in the Alfa house garage. Daughter has BB1 sure hope she doesn't have to go to work today with it.

We are prepping beach house for a family Christmas so I took a load of prepping stuff to it last night in the Jeep.

Yesterday, I finally had some time to remove the old failed Sears garage door opener at Alfa house. Hope to get some time and help Sunday afternoon to install new one. I moved BB2 over to the other side where BB1 was parked so I can lay out the long bar the chain drive slides on and lift it up into place.

Also trying to help two Alfisti friends out by brokering a selling and purchasing process of a one owner 87 Milano. Joe, whose wife the reluctant seller, and I brought the car back to life about 5 years ago and then he almost lost his life with a heart condition and bypass surgery and the car went dormant again. He took the dash out to change a bad heater valve just before his medical emergency happened so there it sets with dash removed.

Prospective buyer Andy has a nice Milano with all the valves bent who has been trying to figure out what to do with the heads.

Now if a price can be decided on and is acceptable to both parties Joe may go down to just two 164s, one of which appears to have jumped time again on rear head. Hopefully we can get it in my garage this winter and change head. I told him no way is he to tackle that job in his driveway and his garage is to small and to far up the hill to get 164 in it.

9921 - 9940 of 14430 Posts