Alfa Romeo Forums banner

9881 - 9900 of 14425 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
My Norwegian friends swear by the Nokian snow tires, but they were too expensive here in the US years ago when I bought snow tires for my 91S.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,883
Alfisto Steve's believe it or not!

Get on the Bus Gus!

I brought in my 5 spare seats in from our cold storage sun room to our climate controlled master bedroom at my wife's request, Yes, as she wants to do some painting of furniture in our sun room. She let's me store my 164 parts in closets too. I am one lucky man aren't I? Two seats from Pick-N-Pull 93 164L and three from 164S.

I gave the 6th refurbished "tan" 164B driver's seat to my friend Joe for his one owner 91 164L with hard as old shoe leather original seats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Reading the TSBs on checking the tension and changing the timing belt on a 24v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
This afternoon in my frigid driveway I replaced the two rubber brake MC grommets that seal the two fluid nipples from the reservoir.. Not too much of a PITA - just had to suck the coolant out and removed the coolant tank first, then remove a lower coolant hose T fitting to get access, wrestle the brake MC nipples out of the old rubber grommets with some muscle.. I ended up emptying and taking the brake fluid reservoir and hoses out too (replaced those hoses a couple months back so I knew the procedure pretty well).

Only took 90 minutes or so.. Including a couple dropped hose clamps, and child conflict intervention.
Cheers,
- Art

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
I took the red car and trailer to the tree farm today to get Christmas tree. It can't decide if it's going to rain or snow today. A little of each....

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
I just tie the tree to the roof rack, about an 8 footer. Works ok because we don't go too far.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
I thought about that, Del since I still have the rack on, but decided it was easier to get the tree in the trailer...not so high and no tying down.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
That's true, but having no trailer... nor room for one. I just use a couple of those 6 ft long nylon straps with tightening buckles. Same for when I haul lumber that doesn't fit inside through the ski hole (the bag died a long time ago) in the back seat.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Dinner break, then out and at it again.

Buttoning up the LS. Installed swaybar with new bushings all the way around. Not real happy with my solution, Centerline body bushes and rubber down links with a cobbled together set of poly bushings from the McParts store. They are already starting to pull on the rubber. I'm not a fan of the poly, but that's what I could find available local. As soon as I can get together a decent order, I'll get back to the rubber ones from Alfissimo.

Rack is in with new tie rod ends. I measured everything before changing out the old one, so I'll be close enough for a ride around the block before I align it.

This evening I'll crawl under the dash and hook up the column...or if I have enough wine with dinner I might do it tomorrow.

I was talking to the Lovely Donna and she mentioned that she thought I ought to buy another parts car...she either loves me or is going to buy another horse!

Bob

PS: Tried to start it and it would just turn over, no joy.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
With help from a friend with a warm shop, installed new alternator belt on the Blue Car. The one on the car before was relatively new, but was loose and squealing even with the adjuster all the way tight.

Apparently the original size is NLA and we are supposed to make do with a longer one. So I ordered another from "the V-Belt Guys" that was supposed to be the right length. But it was just about as long as the one on the car. Maybe just a little shorter. Anyway, it isn't squeaking, so that's good.

Also fixed the right side turn signal lamp in the new Bosch projector on that side, which wasn't sealing. On the Red Car, I re-wired everything. This time, I did the double o-ring thing to mount the dual filament bulbs and sockets in the place of the single filament bulb and socket used on the Bosch units. Also re-aimed the left side unit, which was shining right in front of the car and making a hot spot.

Still going strong at 186,000 miles. Best $860 dollar car I ever bought. Thanks, Steve!

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,892 (Edited)
"Still going strong at 186,000 miles. Best $860 dollar car I ever bought. Thanks, Steve!

Glad it worked out for youse guys!

I recently sold the white 91 164L I got free in March for over twice that much but had close to that much in it in parts, repairs and paint work. It has 203k on it.

As for Alfa related, we just got back to hotel in New Bern, NC from our AROC-MAARC chapter's Christmas party. Good time annual event we have had in New Bern for last 3 years.

We had about 30 people for weekend event. ML and I ended up with nice Alfa computer bag and 4C wireless mouse from the Italian Gift exchange.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Prices have dropped for 164s in the last couple of decades. I thought I got a good deal when in 1994 I paid $16k for my 91S with 40k miles on it. Now, I imagine it is worth just a couple thou if that even being in great condition, running like a top with 182k miles on it, the mileage being the killer, everything else fine.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Hauling Christmas trees with a 164 is so European. You guys should take a picture and post it here so we could make xmas cards.

Last year was my first Christmas alone as a widower and I didn't do the tree or the lights or any of the usual stuff. This year? I don't know, maybe I'll wait until Christmas Eve then go out and find the loneliest left over Charlie Brown Christmas tree that nobody else wanted and bring it home.

It's been raining a lot here in California and since the F-car booted all the Alfas out of the garage I haven't been doing much other than driving the heck out of Blackie back and forth to work. Those fancy Speedlines I got are in need of a cleaning, that will take a whole Saturday I'm sure. Red has been parked for about two months waiting for me to put on the new timing belt and install the new heater core I got from Chris. My plan now is to work another two and a half years before retiring so I need to get at least another 72,000 miles out of the two 164's. That's 36,000 each just for commuting to work so maybe 40,000 a piece overall. I think they can do it, that would put both of them around the 220,000 mile mark which, based on Steve's and other's histories, is completely doable. I've already put over 80,000 miles on them over the past three years and I'll say that I've never grown tired of them, they are still an absolute joy to drive each and every time and have turned my rather long daily commute into something bearable, even enjoyable. The 164 is definitely the best and most refined Alfa I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Have to agree. I've been driving the 91S as a daily driver ever since 1994, and it's still fun to drive, with just enough frills (electric windows, intermittent wipers, electrically adjustable outside mirrors) to suit me. None of the overly expensive indecipherable hvac/entertainment systems, no "do it all" function knob in the center console, no transmission flappy paddles, no electric brakes and steering. I do like the new automatic panic braking systems coming out (for other cars, lol, so I don't get rearended).

·
Registered
92 Posts
After 2 seasons racing with the Alfa Alfetta GTV 2000 and on the last meeting the driveshaft failing by busting the location front pin into the flywheel, the engine was taken out to repair the mishap.
We have a driveshaft of an Alfetta 4 door 2 litre that can be used. We have to shorten the rear driveshaft part by cutting out 100 mm and re weld and re balance the complete driveshaft.
plenty of time for a clean and inspect of the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Greetings,

Just returned from our Alfa Holiday Party up in Litchfield, CT. Drove the Milano Quadrafolio, [LS is being readied for the body shop]. The party was a great success, 35 Alfisti but only three Alfa's- 2 Milano's and a 164 L. I guess the weather had something to do with it?
I did well with the grab bag prizes too. I got some hi impact screw drivers and a nice Utility knife. On leaving we were greeted by snow leaving the Northeast of CT. Salt on the roads, bummer. So I spent a hour at the car wash when I got back to West Hartford.

AROC-CT had a good year. We hosted four tours and I participated with a few others with AONE. As you can see I did a lot of driving - 4K on the LS [Nashville] , 3K on the Milano and about 1K on the Giulietta Spider. All in all, a good year.

Glad to read all your post. Hope to contribute something soon.

Best.
Frank

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Arranged to pick up the '84 GTV6 next weekend. It's a project.

But, aren't they all? :wink2:

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I've already put over 80,000 miles on them over the past three years and I'll say that I've never grown tired of them, they are still an absolute joy to drive each and every time and have turned my rather long daily commute into something bearable, even enjoyable. The 164 is definitely the best and most refined Alfa I've ever owned.
The 164 is certainly refined and fun to drive. I enjoyed our two. It's a shame you guys don't get the choice of the later FWD Alfas because they are even better. My GT is awesome and the 159 is a superb cruiser and handles nicely too.

On Saturday I decided to go ahead and splash out and buy a stunning, mint condition, set of ROH Envy five spoke 17" x 7.5 " wheels for the 75 from a guy who took them off a V6 Spider he is wrecking. They came with good 215/45/17 tyres and have an offset of 35, which is what my GT has. The 75 offset is 43, but with the much wider and slightly taller tyres, that works out OK. There is good clearance under the arches, but I might have to cut off a bit of the corner of the body kit near the door pillar because it looks like it will foul on full lock. The body kit is all loose there and needs screwing onto the metal sill as well. The main difficulty in fitting them though is the centre bore of the wheels. The 75s are 58.6mm and the later cars, like the 156/147/GT, are 58.1mm for some reason, which means the wheels won't go onto the hub. After much thought and research, I decided that rather than try and ream out the wheels, I would take the quarter millimetre all round off the hub boss. That way, the wheels are still OK for the later cars. I have successfully done one front one so far, using a 40 grit sanding belt turned inside out and linishing it. That is a bit laborious but not too bad. I am going to try a grinding stone on the Dremel next, in the hope of saving some effort. The wheels will look stunning I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,900 (Edited)
9881 - 9900 of 14425 Posts