Alfa Romeo Forums banner

9861 - 9880 of 14429 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,861
SOLD the white 91L "Non-Originale" tonight to a friend who had a white 93L that was once my son's.

Somehow all these local and nearby 164 owners just keep coming in and out of my life.

ML and I plan to go to last F1 breakfast in BB1 tomorrow morning. I had to remove all the leaves after the windy rain storm we had last night and wash it to get all the maple leaf prints off the paint.

BB1 now back in the garage that is back to storage use versus repair shop.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Only problem is where do you get bulk 7mm spiral wound ignition wire? Not at the auto parts stores anymore, they only sell complete "sets", couldn't even buy a single pre-made wire to cut up so it looks like the internet is my only option. :blush:
Here you go. I've been using it for several years now to make up the wire sets for the boat engines I do.

https://www.amazon.com/Pertronix-70S210-Flame-Thrower-Black-Spark/dp/B004BZWBSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480217157&sr=8-1&keywords=pertronix+70s210

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Stopped by my mechanic's garage to see what was going on, and just to chat for a short while. Saw lots of neat Italian cars, Alfas, Ferraris, Lambos,all in various states of repair and tuning. Some of those engines are really beautiful pieces of casting artwork.

Out of curiosity, asked Lino about the 164 12V coolant temperature sender availability. He called his source, and the guy replied immediately that lots of people were calling about it, knowing the part number by heart. Of course out of stock, as we already knew. Needless to say, we had a good laugh about that. I think I will just buy a 24v sender and see if I can get the light to work properly in the 12v engine, just for fun.

Lino's dd 164 is parked now, as at well over 200k miles, the rear main seal blew, and the engine has to come out, but Carlo is too busy to do it now. He thinks he has finally given up on Alfas, at least the 164. Says it is just too difficult to get some parts, and he worries (probably more his wife) that something will always go out on him if he takes it on a long drive. He desperately wants to retire, but it is just not happening, what with many cars still being worked on, as customers keep calling for help. Carlo doesn't mind the work, so he is in no hurry, but Lino runs the parts ordering, inventory, service records, all the non-shop part of the business, which has to stay up and running for those cars. Carlo could just run his own little shop if he semi-retired from Alfa of Tacoma.

He did go to the local car show to see the new Giulia. Thought it was a pretty nice looking car, but thought it was all too complicated, esp with that flapper transmission. He does not like it at all, thinking it will surely be a source of trouble later.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Over the past couple days, Ive noticed the 24V car starting to miss at idle, and hesitate (only sometimes) on accel from a dead stop. No codes thrown. Coupled with this, a kind of 'banging' from the back of the car at times (when running rough at idle) and I suppose a general malaise. So tonight (Monday and Wed have sons hockey games at night and right now I am majordomo on 5 cars + one in Missouri) I pulled the wifemobile Honda out of the garage, after moving the truck from behind it in the driveway, and pulled the ole LS into the garage at about 6:15.

Started on the back -- found the occasional 'banging' -- caused by droopy exhaust rubber hangers. Easy fix with a floor jack and in stock, 2 new Alfa hangers (the Centerline ones are OK but not as good as the OEM). Little struggle to pull em on but got there and that's that. Did overall sweep of exhaust system looks good (ansa rear/oem center)

Then the miss at idle / hesitation blues. Went back to "Hard times" approach.
1. First checked for tramp air leaks (that's my method) and lo and behold I found the return line from the OVS wasn't secure in the intake rubber bellows/hose. Note this was positive pressure not vacuum so no increase in idle speed, but after assessing the condition of the air intake hose, I decided to replace it (I had silicone it up once before) with my OEM new hose I bought 15 years ago for $20.
2. Put pressure gauge on fuel rail. 40 PSI at idle and held after engine off. I have OEM fuel filter in stock but since pressure seemed good I didn't R/R filter. Take gauge off.
3. No joy really, rich smell from exhaust. Put long screwdriver on each injector, click click click. Seems ok
4. Decide to pull front cover off and see if I see sparks (never heard snap snap). Took it off and started the car -- hmmm idling WAY BETTER.
5. Turn off all the lights in the garage and watch/listen. Sure enough after about 3 minutes I see little blue light on #5. hear very faint snap snap.
6. Pull coil and figure might as well pull plug too. Plug is rich , gap is 025 but plug looks tired.
7. replace plug with in-stock NGK (lightly used) and coil with in-stock OEM brandby newby.
8. put all back together and peel out with plenty of power and idle is dead steady. Motor doesn't move. At all

Love it when a process yields results. Total time -- finished the speed run at 7:35 and cracked open a cold beer.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Makes you feel good when a job goes well. I replaced the starter on my black 164S over the weekend. It went really well with no issues. Best starter job I've done. I'm a happy man:)

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,867 (Edited)
Monday was my rearrange the garage day after trip to rec ctr - Driving Ms Mary to swimming while I went to work out room for a trip around the Life Fitness machines.

Then ML drove herself to PT session and I got busy moving tranny and engine out of the 93L into corner so I could get two 164s BB1/BB2 back into garage.

I also worked Non-BB4 the 93L body up against the fence so driveway back to a 4-wide configuration.

Finished off the day by cleaning leaves from rain gutters and raking 4 big bags for trash pick up day. Yesterday was give the body a R&R day. After visit from the daughter and her mini doxie, I took ML to senior moment Tuesday matinee cheap seats movie - Rules Do Not Apply. Seems like Warren Beatty and sister Shirley were from Richmond VA and as kids used to come to visit relatives in Front Royal - ML's home town. One scene of a church in the movie was of a church in Front Royal. Warren played Howard Hughes and his wife Annette played the Front Royal mom of the daughter who went to Hollywood.

Will be Still Playing with Cars again after rec ctr session this morning. Got some new rear head gaskets from Centerline yesterday. I was down to one rear and 6 front orphans until I changed front head gasket on Non-Originale to stop oil leak.

Daughter coming back Sunday to PU BB1 to be her daily driver again.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Out of curiosity, asked Lino about the 164 12V coolant temperature sender availability. He called his source, and the guy replied immediately that lots of people were calling about it, knowing the part number by heart. Of course out of stock, as we already knew. Needless to say, we had a good laugh about that. I think I will just buy a 24v sender and see if I can get the light to work properly in the 12v engine, just for fun.

I think that light fix should be simple as a double pole relay, I'll get to it eventually as the light is wonky on my 12v.
If there is really that much demand I could probably whip up a little harness with relay or box or such, could get all fancy and incorporate
and temp gauge reading tuner of some sort into it as well.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,869
Repairing rear brake compensator valve lever assy with AL bushings

My Alfisti Bud Jeremy a machinist made me some Aluminum bushings to fit in arms of the 60511712 lever assembly as replacements for the original bushings just disappear into dust I guess. The 60801543 Compensator Brake Valve is mounted on rear side of rear cross-member and piston stays retracted unless driver does a panic stop or bushings fail. If piston extends in panic stop or when bushings fail braking action to rear brakes is lessened to prevent rear brakes from locking up.

Sort of a redundant system when the 164 has ABS BUT with missing bushings causing free play ABS or no ABS on a 164 if piston extends rear braking can be compromised.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
The red car is running rough in wet weather = most of the time here:( Distributor cap and rotor look and tested good. #4 wire is only at 1000 ohms, the rest are ok. I pulled the plugs and reduced the huge gap to .025. The wires are original...25yo. The plugs are Autolite that I put in 35,000 miles ago when I 1st started up the rebuilt engine. I bought them as a test set, planning on replacing them after the break in...guess it's time:)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I had some fun with the GT on my way to the Alfa Club Xmas party Thursday night. I was about halfway there when there was a warning beep and the screen said “Maximum temperature reached”. Fortunately the lights were with me and I pulled into a Maccas carpark. Having a look under the bonnet revealed that my radiator had sprung a leak, so I called the RAA and my wife who was coming a bit later with our son and his girlfriend. The RAA, (Royal Automobile Association), patrol guy turned up fairly quickly, confirmed what I already knew and ordered a tow truck. I decided to get the car towed to my wonderful Alfa mechanic Rino Rossi's workshop and the truck turned up five minutes before my wife. We got to the party in time for the start of the dinner. Thanks to The Spare Place, (one of our two independent Alfa parts dealers), and Rino and his guys, I picked the car up all finished, at four o’clock Friday, with a new genuine radiator fitted. Adelaide is a great place to own an Alfa, that’s for sure!

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,872 (Edited)
My son and I spent most of the day welding on new front spring perches on my 04 GC Jeep Overland.

But I blow dried BB1 when I got home and I used Mequiers Cleaner wax on it so I can use sealer wax on it this weekend as it have to live outdoors at my daughter's home and work station this winter.

Some pix of Jeep and BB1 and BB2. As you can see BB2 needs a bath, blow dry and cleaner wax and sealer application, too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Yep, it's time.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,874
Yep, it's time.

I'll get right to it after I do XYZ.

And, even if you didn't notice my 164B fabric seats in the S they are staying in for the winter much better than non-working leather seat warmers in the winter or in the summer which heats leather to the burning point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,875 (Edited)
I'll get right to it after I do XYZ.

And, even if you didn't notice my 164B fabric seats in the S they are staying in for the winter much better than non-working leather seat warmers in the winter or in the summer which heats leather to the burning point.
Well managed to fit in a cleaner wax and a sealer wax job on BB2 after a wash job with hot water suds bucket and 40F ambient in driveway.

I did the spit and polish back in the garage with the propane heater warming the garage.

Then went to beach house to help ML prep 1st from apartment for possible guest next weekend. Upstairs renters moving into their newly built house tomorrow. Let the musical furniture moving begain as ML hired two men and a truck to move furniture to and from Alfa house and beach house as my back can't do that 1st 2nd and third floor stuff anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Towed, pushed, etc brown Berlina in the greenhouse this morning. Drove the Milano in last week. I now have space to put all my Alfas under cover:) AND only 2 Berlinas to get running

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Any pix for us?

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Missed by that much...

Finally got the Alfa 164 LS steering rack back in, tightened up the various connections. Filled the reservoir with fluid, cracked the connection at the pump to make sure it was flowing at least that far. Put the leads back on the battery and crawled into the interior.

With much anticipation, I turned the key and...

NOTHING

Not a light, not a sound, not a squeak. NOTHING

Bummer, get out the voltage meter and battery was at 1.8 volts.

Satisfaction delayed.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,879
Trickle charge - trickle charge! once you get fully recharged.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Bought a '79 Spider Veloce fairly cheap. :surprise:

It's to be a "Beater daily driver" once I sort out a few hopefully minor issues. :wink2:
No intent to get involved in serious restoration, just clean up details as needed.
I'm guessing this makes my banged up and rusty '78 a parts car.

Primary demand before purchase was that the car be rust free and no major past accidents.
I think I got that. :grin2:
Careful examination found NO discernible rust beyond a pin-hole in the spare tire well!
Ex AZ - CA car.
Nose has only about 3" x 2" spot just above the bumper that would not hold a magnetic business card.
Sills and fenders do hold a magnetic card except the drivers rear quarter which does at least still sound correct but must have a skim coat on it.
Examined floors from the top as best I could, they look perfect from the bottom side.
Car appears to have had a cheap enamel repaint but looks fairly good.
Solid black as original with a narrow gold pin-stripe added along the body line.

Interior and seats are pretty good, top must have been replaced fairly recently.
I have an aftermarket hard top I will fit for the winter as soon as I replace some rubber sealing gaskets.

Four Campy 14" wheels but I do not know the model, they are a shallow dish with air slots around the perimeter, a Turbina as a spare.
I think I will fit my gold Ronal basket-weave type since I have five and it needs tires anyway.
Should look great. :smile2:

It does run but not that well. :frown2:
Idle is a bit rough and acceleration is VERY lazy.
Hoping I can tune it up without too much effort.
Will put it on my Allen Smart-Tester for diagnoses.
Still SPICA, I will give it a go but if it frustrates me very much it will get Webers instead. >:)
The $#!# cat converter has already been removed, saving me that chore.

Of course it has electrical demons, there has to be some sort of penalty for it not being rusty. :cursing:
Battery not holding charge, Alternator light staying on, turn signal indicator stays on when it should not, some gauges dead.

With an entire car for spares in addition to parts sitting around from the '73 I scrapped this one should be fairly easy and quick to get into driving condition.
Just in time for winter in the desert! :eek:

9861 - 9880 of 14429 Posts