Alfa Romeo Forums banner

9701 - 9720 of 14428 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Common theme on the airlines, Del. Unfortunately, the "dollar store" mentality of airline managements has driven a very large portion of the industry. Despite decays in service and promises to "never fly XXXXX Airlines again," the vast majority of the flying public will click on the lowest price regardless. And airline executives know that.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
We've been very happy with Southwest; however, no seat selection... The lowest price doesn't always win. Number of stops, layover time, flight time also play a part. Flying with an airline you like is also work a small premium imo.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"Despite decays in service and promises to "never fly XXXXX Airlines again," the vast majority of the flying public will click on the lowest price regardless"

Maybe, but not us. As Richard says, there are other factors to be considered. We've chosen more expensive flights in the past, depending on the total package, schedule, and airline. We permanently boycotted Northwest Airlines decades ago when they screwed us over, not delivering our much needed luggage for a week. Never flew on them again when we could have, buying more expensive tickets "just because". We are pretty darn stubborn.

We really dislike flying now, as compared to years ago. Since we are retired, if we are not going clear across the country, we are inclined to drive our fun Alfas instead (Alfa related comment here, lol).

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
How come 308s are so incredibly cheap over there? Good ones here are fetching the GBP equivalent of around $100K USD, and higher. I pulled an early RHD car out of a friend's garage three years ago and then some other guy lowballed him an offer which was accepted, and I couldn't counter-bid. That was about $20K USD and it'll be a lonnnnng time before anyone finds one at that price again. If anyone knows of a RHD car on that side of the water, I'm all ears!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Speaking of 'the Cape', 308's and P-Town. We had the annual AONE Cape Crusade on Saturday. A member was along in this red 308.

John from NH

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Well I fly for free and pretty much hate it so probably have only flown half a dozen times in the past ten years. But, as Del says, sometimes there's just no other option. I'm planning on going back to Ireland next June, can't drive there.

308 prices have been going up lately. I really should have bought one about three years ago but I figure taking some money out of mutual funds and putting it in a 38 year old Ferrari is probably a safe bet as long as I don't wreck it or a tree doesn't fall on it. I will say that after sitting in that one yesterday I came to the realization that one of these days in the not unforseeable futre I might not be able to get back out of the darn thing. Gotta remember to always have my cellphone on me LOL

Alfa related - I put the Spider up on the MaxJax and started pulling the axles so I can replace the leaking seal on the right side. Also going to install new limit straps. I posted some pictures in

What did you do to your Spider

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"How come 308s are so incredibly cheap over there"

Most of those in the $30-35k range usually have been let go and usually require a substantial investment in servicing and parts replacement. The final reliable drive it out the door price ends up a bit higher, according to Carlo. I've seen such a few in his shop.

Still, such neat looking cars (also like the Mondial version). Have been guilty of looking myself, but then I stop by the shop...

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"Speaking of 'the Cape', 308's and P-Town. We had the annual AONE Cape Crusade on Saturday"

Yeah, Frank told us we would end up missing it. Nuts.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
"How come 308s are so incredibly cheap over there"

Most of those in the $30-35k range usually have been let go and usually require a substantial investment in servicing and parts replacement. The final reliable drive it out the door price ends up a bit higher, according to Carlo. I've seen such a few in his shop.

Still, such neat looking cars (also like the Mondial version). Have been guilty of looking myself, but then I stop by the shop...
That's true Del but it's now $50-65k range. Since I'm gonna buy one I'd guess that the values have, at the very least, plateaued because of my motto - buy high, sell low (ha,ha) In that regard I don't much care about it in the investment sense, it's purely a gearhead thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Recovered headliner, reinstalled and the pillar trims. Much hot glue gunning was involved.
All the interior lights work now, remarkably dim in there for so many bulbs.
Front door guts lubed, speakers replaced, MIA vapor barrier on one side re-made.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"In that regard I don't much care about it in the investment sense, it's purely a gearhead thing"

Same for the Alfas we do drive. Few Alfas could be considered investment, at least the ones we could afford to buy in the first place.

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,715
I've been thinking about keeping the 164... anyone have a low-ish mileage 12v motor that they want to sell me?
Refresh my memory what's wrong with yours?

My spare but not for sale 91L motor has 6096 miles on it. All my L's motors have 208,000, 202,000 and 228,000 on them but my S engine has only 153,000.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Refresh my memory what's wrong with yours? My spare but not for sale 91L motor has 6096 miles on it. All my L's motors have 208,000, 202,000 and 228,000 on them but my S engine has only 153,000.
Are those original miles, or have some of them been rebuilt Steve? They certainly last if looked after.

·
Premium Member
26,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,717
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
Refresh my memory what's wrong with yours? My spare but not for sale 91L motor has 6096 miles on it. All my L's motors have 208,000, 202,000 and 228,000 on them but my S engine has only 153,000.

Are those original miles, or have some of them been rebuilt Steve? They certainly last if looked after.
I don't know for sure but just remembered the 208K 91 L actually has a 164S engine in it that Carlo and Johnny put in that engine at their dealersship near Orlando many years ago so don't know how many miles on it. Carlo did all the warranty work on 164 engines for Alfa headquarters in Orlando.

The 202K 91L was Infamous Alfisti Fred DeMatteo's car. Fred appears to have gotten it in 2000 with 73k and my friend got it in 2004 with 106K. Nothing in service records indicate engine had had any major work on it.

The 93L was lease car had 19K in 95 and 74K in 1998 and 126K in 2004 when my friend Michael bought it and I first worked on car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Refresh my memory what's wrong with yours?

My spare but not for sale 91L motor has 6096 miles on it. All my L's motors have 208,000, 202,000 and 228,000 on them but my S engine has only 153,000.

I am suspecting a case of leaky valve stem seals. Very unfortunate seeing as I just got the car buttoned back up around a month and a half ago. I'm driving my pickup now so I have some time to plan out what I want to do with the old girl. The car has 223k on the clock, so If I'm going to do some top end work I'd rather yank and replace with a motor that's a little more cherry. Plus that would give me the chance to refresh some older rubber and other bits and such that isn't immediately noticeable.

I'd likely strip the old motor for parts because who doesn't like to have a hoard of random stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Good Evening Folks,

Jenny (164L) and Sophia (164B) continue to provide my reliable daily commute alternatively as gas runs out or my whim prefers manual high speed over automatic comfort in the terrible traffic I face every day.

I have committed these two 164's at the Viva Alfa day in Celebration (Kissimmee) on November 5th.
I had hoped to at least repaint Jenny (Green) but hurricane Matthew and my Wife's bad fall put paid to that until next year.
We were without power and water for five days...longest ever I was without power wherever I lived in the world.

All the Alfa's survived the huge fallen debris from the seven Mighty Live Oaks.....but never fear Alfisto and Friends, we will have more Alfa gatherings beneath those Mighty Live Oaks as they all survived too.

Jenny is very gently leaking clutch fluid from the master cylinder so in my near future lurks a deep dive beneath the dash...done that a few times before.
Clutch works fine.
I became aware when the brake red light started to flicker and I saw low brake fluid level.

This weekend I will be allocating quality hours to both Alfa's to be ready for the trip down to Orlando area the following weekend for Viva Alfa.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
Yea, well...I've got 2 short blocks V6 3L and a set of rebuilt heads on the shelf along with 2 2L 4 cylinder short blocks, but only 1 2L head along with gobs and gobs of 164, Berlina and Milano stuff....One of these days, one of these days there is going to be a sale:)

9701 - 9720 of 14428 Posts