Alfa Romeo Forums banner

9181 - 9200 of 14424 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Looks like it's an epidemic of steering rack woes.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,182
There will be a weeping and wailing of racks and pinons in this world of Alfas. R2 that was a narrow garage but we were so much younger then and we are older now. Wiser maybe but/and slower to rebound after a hard day of wrenching.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
You got that right, Steve. I've done next to no wrenching since early spring. I put trim boards around windows outside and outside base boards, caulked, pressure washed getting ready to paint...Wrenching is more fun!

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Visited Centerline and chatted with Joe and the gang. Later drove to Golden Gate Canyon with Rob Steele in Mostro and met Jason Arrington in his Spider. Enjoyed a fast drive up the canyon as passenger and a less wild drive back down as pilot. Rob's car is beautifully balanced and is a joy to drive. Jason's little boy took a group photo but I will have to wait until I return to Columbia to upload it.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,185
Working on the house is a different kind of fun and can be its own reward keeping the home fires burning brightly. I have to get back to that real soon on ML's honey do list at beach house if you know what I mean. Summer renters get in the way though so I have some breathing room until September.

Off to the dump with trailer in a few. Maybe if i am not to stiff after I limber up I can go back to steering rack install even if it is tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
beeton,
The LS shift handle is NLA as far as I know, but I have seen the 91-93 AT t-handle installed on an LS. Don't know if that' more readily available.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Shift handle

The stock shift handle is darn ugly anyways. I had ordered a cheapie one from ebay and installed. Looked good enough with it's "pleather" wrapping but the internal mechanism was weak and tended to jam up so off it went.
I am using the skeleton of the 95 handle and it looks as expected, although a bit primitive looking.
The mechanism on this simply needs a "push down" handle and I have access to a nice MOMO (if I can get the owner to drop his price) and there are lots of "push down" button ones on the market.

Went for a test drive (not really, just wanted to drive around) this morning after I installed the freshly repaired a/c line. Gave me an excuse to stop off at garage sales and chat with homeowners... never know when they might need a Realtor. Wound up buying an old but functional table saw and stand for $20. I already have one but it's a bit wonky and I figure the $20 may save a finger or two later on.

As for the steering racks, are these prone to leaks?

Have any of you had good experience with engine oil stop-leak additives or do they tend to makes things worse later on?

Thanks.

Have a pleasant weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,188 (Edited)
Well, got rack installed and fluid installed. Started up car and drove back straight into garage so I could close the door.

Tomorrow morning I will finish up under the dash reinstalling covering and hooking up steering column shaft universal joint.

This has been a two shower bath job and a clothes washing of work clothes so far.

Found major cam pulley o-ring leaks so timing belt and oil seal change next.

Went down to beach house to do some honey does for ML but renters came early so back home now to Alfa house. Ready to make/bake some Lemon zest, zucchini, poppy seed bread after lunch.

Tropical hours in effect so no outside projects after 1 p.m. Only cool 89F at 2 p.m. so will it hit 95 today?

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Wellllllll...thank god I never took the LS for anything but slow exploratory rides around our country block. A couple of clunks and juddering brakes kept me from doing more.

Just got it on the lift, and there is much to do. Bushings shot, wrong steering rack, missing bolts on the driver's side caliper...more to follow on the link below.

Bob

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Replaced the alternator on the S4. I cannot believe how hard it was to find a rebuilt unit. Crazy! Next pull drive shaft and replace center bearing. I'm thinking it would be easier to just replace the whole carrier with the bearing. Why deal with pressing the bearing out?

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,192
You are just short one liner it looks like!

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,193
Finished hooking up steering column shaft to rack and drove it around the block. Couple teeth off so steering wheel slightly to the right.

Brake lights don't work so next trick to play relay swap out and then wiring t/S is that isn't the problem as B/L switch at pedal is a clicker.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
really?

So, the other day I had to add some coolant to Rossa prior to our road trip. No biggie, just a little and from time to time I have to. In passing a few days ago I had mentioned to John I was toying with doing a water pump on her since the one on the car is original and the part is cheap and it doesn't take long. More preventative than anything else. He had said his 5.0 is weeping a little. I think he might have a little voodoo 164 somewhere and he sticks "pins" in it.

So today I'm wiring the lights up front since the inspection is due and Walter is doing it Wednesday. So I have more light than the sun up front now. On to the motor mounts. I look down and see some puddling on the front P/S and think it's coolant since I haven't wet that area and dont have A/C. Sure enuff, the pump is weeping. No point in proceeding with anything at all until I have this part. Can do it all at the same time is my reasoning. The pics are of the P/S front motor mount and the area the coolant collected. Access will be thru the P/F wheel well and it's right there for the picking. Maybe 2 hours work.

Close to 100 outside it seems so off for the afternoon now. Looking at ePer for a part number and will call Eddy in the morning. Ciao, Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
resides here

pretty easy to access I'd say. Sure John.... ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,197
Where would I be without tech data?

Found no power to brake light switch from fusebox, but fuse F15 (1) located TOP ROW LEFT corner was good on Non-Originale 91L.

So I went to back of G1 fuse box to find P connector pin 2 white wire.

Found terminal P2 in relaxed state so not gripping P2 pin.

Now where would I have been without wiring diagram manual and a spare fuse box to see where P connector was - LOST.

Love it when a plan comes together. One more "fly" gripe worked off.

Now time to go to church with ML and then we will see what the rest of the day goes like.

9181 - 9200 of 14424 Posts