Alfa Romeo Forums banner

8721 - 8740 of 14428 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
were the mounts hard? I've read it's not too pleasant a job on a Spider. ciao, chris

·
Registered
585 Posts
This makes me happy to know you will be restoring your 164, I would cry like a baby if anything happened to my 164 "Knock On Wood"

I will try that when i take it for a drive.

what does your car currently need for the restoration?

I found it puts less stress on reverse. I just do it all the time in my mustang now. Like you reverse works sometimes but I figured this works all the time for me so why grind it occasionally? I can save the wear and tear. Might be different in the Alfa because I think reverse has a synco but worth a shot.

It is rust free! So I have that going for me lol it needs an engine rebuild, clutch, hood paint, AC conversion, stepper motors, heater core bypass, alternator, sound system, and rear suspension bushings. I guess that's a lot when you list it out!

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
yea Grasshopper but in the end you will have something truly unique/rare you never see. I live here in Italy and never see another 164. If I wanna see one other than mine, I have to go to Virginia Beach. There's a bunch of black ones there and I think, a white one. ciao, chris

·
Registered
585 Posts
I still have only seen one 164 here in CA other than my own. Im suprised Italy isn't full of old 164s. Aren't 164s like a regular sedan in Italy? Definitely worth it i agree. Just need some time to put a few pay checks away and a good Alfa shop. Little fun stuff I can learn but I'm going to leave the bug stuff to the professionals!

I test drove a new 5.0 mustang. It was very fun and I could buy one but I decided a year from now I will have a car no one will look at because it's not brand new. The 164 will turn heads forever. Also I had the mustang for about 30 minutes and decided and I can't be trusted with that much power lol

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
You have stumbled on the real deal GH. They ARE a regular sedan here. Thus no one messes with them. Sort of like the Ford LTD of the mid 80's. I see one silver Super from time to time and that is it. I pooh you not, these cars are just that - cars. Given, I live north of Venice and things might be different in the south, they just don't "do" older Alfa's here. Guy down the street has an old Fiat Ritmo I'd like to own but he's like me, likes the old stuff. And... every work day I see this old dude in an Arna going to work. To me, the only thing Alfa about the Arna is the badge but we are all different.

Now when I have Rossa out, invariably, someone comes up to me and starts talking about the 164 they once owned. My next door guy, he used to have 2 of them. Wife's coworker used to have one we almost got for free as she didn't wanna mess with it any longer but her hubby sold it instead.

Funny you mention the 5.0. There are a boatload of them here on base and I see the local Ford dealer has a few "euro spec" ones for sale now. ciao, chris

·
Registered
492 Posts
I found it puts less stress on reverse. I just do it all the time in my mustang now. Like you reverse works sometimes but I figured this works all the time for me so why grind it occasionally? I can save the wear and tear. Might be different in the Alfa because I think reverse has a synco but worth a shot.

It is rust free! So I have that going for me lol it needs an engine rebuild, clutch, hood paint, AC conversion, stepper motors, heater core bypass, alternator, sound system, and rear suspension bushings. I guess that's a lot when you list it out!
Thats good its rust free! i have another Alfa that is from Pennsylvania and is rusted pretty badly that i may end up just stripping and possibly parting out. My Florida Alfa needs a complete paint job as the clear coat is shot and the hood paint in some spots is down to the primer. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. was you planning on upgrading the sound system? i plan on replacing the stock stereo with a double din bluetooth one and adding a small 8" subwoofer to complete my system.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I removed the factory rear shocks from the 75 today, having done the fronts yesterday. I will be exchanging them for the almost new Koni Yellows we are buying from an Alfa Club friend. The car will finally be back on its wheels in the next few days. Next on the agenda will be making some adapters for fitting 105 ball joints to the castor arms when the budget allows purchasing them. The rubber bushes will have to do in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Got a great deal on Bilstein shocks for the Grand Prix from Tire Rack.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on SZ wheels for that car. They really are the only way to go for that car.

·
Registered
797 Posts
were the mounts hard? I've read it's not too pleasant a job on a Spider. ciao, chris

no...based on some of the posts on ths subject i was worried..however....it was very simple....started on the drives side since that was supposed to be harder....it took me about 4 hours for both sides, and i took my time

but i don't have AC on my car..pretty uncomplicated and easy to get in down there

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. was you planning on upgrading the sound system? i plan on replacing the stock stereo with a double din bluetooth one and adding a small 8" subwoofer to complete my system.
Sure do, I want to make it a DD to take wear and tear off my mustang. It'll take some $ but a lot less than a new car.

Sounds good, a sub always helps. Nothing crazy but enough to enjoy the music!

Lucky me the sound system was redone in the 90s. 3 amps, upgraded speakers all the way around, it's now missing the subs though. Must have sounded killer back then. Unfortunately it has since crumbled with time lol it had one working speaker and amp wine that made me want to shoot my self when I got it. I unplugged everything to get it to stop. It also has a low end alternator put in that can't handle the sound system. It must have had a larger alt years ago. Someone dumped crazy money into the car in Beverly Hills but he died in a car accident and his father never did much with the car after that.

Think it's on it's 3rd engine by now lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
After whole Saturda spent on cleaning and fixing my Barchetta I did nothing for 164, however... I've managed to take it for a spin. I just love the car.
My only concern is that I cannot find proper wheel solution. Ride is bit too harsch on 16", but handling is waaaay better than on 15". Smaller ones however...

Always a problem, huh? :)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Got the GTV engine bay ready for insertion, have a few final checks to make on engine and transmission and install tomorrow.
The LS is now in the attached garage for some general maintenance, nothing that will keep it off the road. Interior and glass will also get some love.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Put a can of R134a in the L today. It's already getting hot here. >:) I installed new front wheel bearings and lower ball joints last week and man do new wheel bearings make for a sweet driving 164! Should have done it last year. SMMMOOOOOTTHH like it was years and years ago. Makes braking smooth as silk too. :wink2: This car is just so sweet, it never gets old, I may have to spend some money on some paint soon. :whistling:
Charles

·
Registered
103 Posts
I went to a British/Foreign car show today. It was organized by a local British car club. Only British cars entered so I put my Spider in. I was the lone odd make until a Ferrari kept me company! He left and I stuck it out so those guys knew they weren't the only car makes that can take a corner! Alfas sound way better

/Users/rossfranks/Desktop/IMG_1826.JPG

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sure do, I want to make it a DD to take wear and tear off my mustang. It'll take some $ but a lot less than a new car.

Sounds good, a sub always helps. Nothing crazy but enough to enjoy the music!

Lucky me the sound system was redone in the 90s. 3 amps, upgraded speakers all the way around, it's now missing the subs though. Must have sounded killer back then. Unfortunately it has since crumbled with time lol it had one working speaker and amp wine that made me want to shoot my self when I got it. I unplugged everything to get it to stop. It also has a low end alternator put in that can't handle the sound system. It must have had a larger alt years ago. Someone dumped crazy money into the car in Beverly Hills but he died in a car accident and his father never did much with the car after that.

Think it's on it's 3rd engine by now lol
I cant do the whole loud subwoofer thing, plus that type of audio would not suit the car lol. something small like an 8" woofer i think is just perfect, nothing to over powering but just enough bass.

I went today with my brother to a Ford dealership as he is wanting to trade his Kia in for a 2016 Fusion, I seen a dark gray 2016 Mustang with the black rims, It looked beautiful and im not a mustang kind of guy.

Sounds to me the PO cared a lot about his audio! what brand of speakers are you going with?

Your 3rd engine already? whats the story behind the other 2?

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Hah, we grimace every time one of these guys with the amped up woofers drives by on the nearby road. It is especially irritating when the rush hour traffic is lined up and he is blasting away for several minutes before moving.

Of course, doctors do report that they have never seen so many young types with 80 year old hearing. Seems like the less they can hear, the louder they turn up the amp.

Me, I have always liked the sound of the car with maybe a little music in the background. "Radar Love" can get me going, lol, doing some shifts in time with the music.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hah, we grimace every time one of these guys with the amped up woofers drives by on the nearby road. It is especially irritating when the rush hour traffic is lined up and he is blasting away for several minutes before moving.

Of course, doctors do report that they have never seen so many young types with 80 year old hearing. Seems like the less they can hear, the louder they turn up the amp.

Me, I have always liked the sound of the car with maybe a little music in the background.
Del i would agree with you, im not into the whole loud music. but do like dept to my music, thats why i would go with a little 8" subwoofer. i hardly ever turn up my music as it is.

·
Premium Member
26,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,739 (Edited)
Been driving BB1 the 164L automatico last couple days that my daughter had been driving.

Today was hot enough to test a/c to the max and the max it is not so will put set of gauges on it and add some R134a as it has/had the best a/c of all my 164s.

Still pretty much wrapped around the axle with beach house honey do list. Worked off a bunch on the pre-summer rental punch list. Plumbing the sink and garbage disposal brought out my old salty sailor vocabulary.

Had to have the Alfa whine with the sunshine!

I started up Fred D's white 91L today and it is back to hitting on five but looks like #3 dead now not #2 as before. When I get it into rework que I will have to go through the whole system to find the issue.

I have 12 cleaned and tested injectors now from Rich at Cruzin Performanced in MI now so maybe it will get a set.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Those loud music guys are not going to like wearing hearing aids at the age of 30. We had one that you could actually hear clearly from 1/4 mile down the road in each direction when he was driving home late at night. You could hear it through the fence and trees, across the lawn and into our closed bedroom window. How loud must that be inside his car? I have an SPL meter app on my iPhone that I use when I go to music venues to check the sound levels. It tells me what the level is and how much exposure is safe if at all and I can move further away. We went to a big world music festival last year and the level was hitting more than 100db 50 meters away. It is totally unnecessary and should be monitored. That is a family event too and people sit with their kids up close to the stage. My hearing is good for my age and I intend to keep it that way.

Alfa related, my son and I visited our Alfa club friend last night and got his set of 5,000km old Koni yellows for the project 75. I hope to fit them today if it stops raining.

Attachments

8721 - 8740 of 14428 Posts