Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 14429 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Drove my white 164B to Italian Bakery to meet the car guys and gal yesterday. Ludy brought her new Fiat 500 Sport demonstrater again from Fiat Studio at my request.

Hard core Truimph driver drove it and was quite impressed. It was amongest fine company as we had 308, 512 and 360 Ferraris, 2008 Yellow Lambo, older Jag sedan, TR4, and my 164B.

Now if I can figure out how to get the pix off my cell phone as I forgot to take my camera.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Worked on my income taxes to see if there will be enough refund to buy new seat upholstery for my '91 spider...

·
Registered
573 Posts
A friend got me a Parrot 3200 colour handsfree kit for 20€ (used, not stolen).

Took the radio off and wired the kit. It's really simple, the harness has to be connected in series with radio (both power and speakers connections), so it turns on and off with ignition and automatically mutes the radio, even if the radio is one of those that require a special connector to enable mute functions (as does my blaupunkt london mp35).

As I didn't have a fixing bracket for the control panel and didn't want to glue anything, I fabricated a bracket out of scrap copper sheet I had around, el cheapo's way. The bracket went nicely into the seam under the right side of the indicators pannel, nothing rattles or shakes, no screws, no glue.

Unfortunately I can't see the screen very well but still I can pick the calls without taking risks (fine is 500€, an accident, even worse).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looked at the '91 Spider parked in the garage, which reminded me that I need to fix the broken off base of the passenger mirror, with the threaded rod repair. That and following the slow introduction of the 500 and wondering when I will see one on the road. The rumblings are that the 500 dealers will get first dibs on Alfa dealerships, maybe in a year or so? Yes I know it has been a "year away" since about 2001 but hope springs eternal. I had long since given up hope of ever seeing a Fiat sold in the US and that is happening, it was up there with pigs flying....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Suspension R/R

Well the garage is getting some activity
Got all the parts to change out most of the rear suspension components on the LS.

Working on Alfa's, you collect a variety of supports to keep the cars happy when their off the ground.
My favorite are pine blocks, cut at a local lumber mill. There 6 inch x 6 inch stock cut at one foot lenghts. Their lightweight and have may uses. Seats, work surface, saftey supports to back up the jack stands, etc.

Use them on their sides, not standing up.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
not to mention a very good stand for your favorite hot or cold beverage...reminds me of the axe handle I used to use for various purposes, such as propping up the collapsing seat of a Fiat 131 (between rear of driver's seatback and rear seat) and to keep pressure on the brake pedal when having to bleed the brakes by myself.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Well, I was taxi driver with Black Beauty this morning to pick up Harold the piano man for our men's church breakfast and monthly community breakfast after meeting background music.

He can't get over how nice a 21 year old Alfa Romeo runs as I have given him rides in it before and in my 164B Originale.

He wonders if American automakers can claim the same fame! He has been to Italy while in the Navy. So knows what an Italian car is all about.

I assured him the USA auto makers may very well have their act together now after a long dry spell. I hope so any way.

My lawn green it up guy came by today to spray stuff to make me working harder mowing very soon and wondered if my BB was a British made car and thought it looked like a cross between a Cadillac and a BMW.

He knows I have a few of them anyway and admires them every couple months.

I broke Old Blue out of backyard for my beater car show and tell at the Italian bakery this afternoon with the car guys.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Finally got to drive my 164S today. Had defroster and heat thanks to Sir Alfisto Steve's great advice and help.
Drove about 150 miles today, Loved it !!
Thank you Steve !

Had one a couple years ago, sold it, regretted it. At least I sold it to a great Alfisti/BB'er, my friend Larry. And he has driven the heck out it!
It's all good,,,,

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I did the stepper motors replacement on Old Blue week or so ago so I had heat and air flow out of the correct ofrices in the day today, today.

I am now working on replacing worn A/T shifter in console but lost daylight before I got done and had to dash off the Olive Garden in my truck for daughter's birthday dinner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I struggled replacing my driver side headlight bulb as I can't seem to get that darn ring off....very frustrating. Cant seem to get a good grip on it due to the small confines....better luck tomorrow I hope.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I struggled replacing my driver side headlight bulb as I can't seem to get that darn ring off....very frustrating. Cant seem to get a good grip on it due to the small confines....better luck tomorrow I hope.
Sometimes it is easier to remove headlight so you can get to that big locking ring holding that 9004 bulb in a USA carello headlight.

Or you can remove top of air cleaner and relay box behind headlight area to get more access.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sometimes it is easier to remove headlight so you can get to that big locking ring holding that 9004 bulb in a USA carello headlight.

Or you can remove top of air cleaner and relay box behind headlight area to get more access.
I did remove the relay box and top of air filter. I didn't want to have to remove headlight..but seems that may be the easiest way. The most frustrating thing is that I can get the ring to spin left to right....but I can't seem to get it out.

Just a couple screws to remove headlight? I haven't removed one before.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I did remove the relay box and top of air filter. I didn't want to have to remove headlight..but seems that may be the easiest way. The most frustrating thing is that I can get the ring to spin left to right....but I can't seem to get it out.

Just a couple screws to remove headlight? I haven't removed one before.

Thanks.
5 screws - 2 near edge of radiator under rubber flap along side of lens, one on top under rubber flap for L-shaped bracket and two in inner fender holding slotted black bracket.

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I put the center air register back in the 164S after repairing the air direction control. The left half had the follower that connects all the slats break off the one you use to adjust the air direction up and down. I just wired it back on with a black bread tie. Works great. Can't even see it. Also the left/right air direction control was stuck and I got that freed up. After I got it all put back together, the battery was stone cold dead. It was fine when I took everything apart so I hope it was not something I did. But the date code on the battery is 12/2002 so...it might well be over for that one.

Yes, Glenn, I'm enjoying the heck out of your car!!

·
Premium Member
26,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
All DIN plugs not created equal it seems

Tried to move Kenwood Radio from our wrecked 164B to Old Blue which had Alpine radio removed before I bought car at auction couple years ago.

The Kenwoord install was professional with plug and play cables plugged into original 164 radio connectors to one DIN connector but Old Blue's Alpine wiring spliced into 164 wiring so original connectors for controls and speakers has been cut out.

I did get rear windows working as both 30 amps fuses had been removed and window glass stuck from lack of use. PO had small kids so he must have removed fuses not knowing about lock out switch.

Also replaced A/T shift lever and took out some of play in cable and lever but still not 100%.

For a beater this 164 is pretty solid car and most systems work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
radio install

Tried to move Kenwood Radio from our wrecked 164B to Old Blue which had Alpine radio removed before I bought car at auction couple years ago.
Hey Steve, having fun with that radio?

Have you ever considered putting a double DIN radio in a 164? I would love to install one with built in GPS and a back-up camera. I know it would be a custom job, and I haven't had the time to tackle it yet.

As for today, I took a nice long, leisurely 257 mile drive over an 8 hours period, but I never once turned the radio on. I even have a cable to plug my iPod into, and forgot to use it. I was nice to just listen to the engine hum.

Of course, if I had the built in GPS, the trip might not have been 8 hours long. :)

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Back in the 164L daily driver shopping today with sunroof and windows wide open and enjoying great FL weather, after a high speed sojourn yesterday to mid-FL (Melbourne) and back in our beautifully performing ODY (Odyssey) to meet old friends for a very enjoyable meal at Meg O' Malleys.
The recent ODY EGR System maintenance has overshadowed all the required ALFA tasks.

With my day off work tomorrow (Monday) I hope to continue the Jenny / donor ALFA merge which is almost at the point of no return. IE: Engine transplant.

Ta,

Neville.

41 - 60 of 14429 Posts