Alfa Romeo Forums banner

441 - 460 of 14620 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
with your LS a while ago ? Or am I thinking it was someone else-? a runability issue? What did you find ?Glad you made it through inspection!
Yes. Finally ran it down! Chaffed wire where the harness passed through the firewall. The Alfa-gods were smiling on me: I did not cook the ECU. I still have 3 new and 3 original coil packs, though.

Changed the fluids and put in some fresh premium and she runs well. It's amazing how dirty the insides of the windows got.

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
If it is Thursday then, I drive a 164

far enough to get it up to operating temps and dry out the moisture from the exhaust system.

I have a weekly men's club meeting at oceanfront church at 7 a.m. Trip is 10miles one way and I add in a commissary run with side trip to Navy Base fitness center. So in total I managed to put about 25 miles on the 164 of choice today. It was the 164S today as my Ram PU parked behind the garage door for the 164L. Will have to switch truck parking position before next Thursday.

Ram used for short trips. It will be cheaper to replace muffler on it when it goes. It is the vehicle with the "I'd rather be driving an Alfa Romeo" decal.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
In my best know everything voice. Drove to Ikea today, bought sme stuff and had good lunch. Their marinaded smoked salmon, ham, mashed taters and some really good cake. Drove the Alfa, ran really well. Coming home stopped for some gas. 50 liters. €88 and some change. That's $113 for 13.2 gallons or about $8.70 a firkin gallon. Did I mention the Alfa ran great and the mountains are snow capped an life in general is great?

Stopped by the parts guru on way home and second coil has yet to arrive but the truck usually arrives later in the day. Spousal unit says we look good motoring about no doubt.

Anyway, swapping the CTS yesterday seems to have helped the car in how it runs. Pulls like a train at 100 on the hi way. Miss/stutter seems to be gone. Methinks, new coils are gonna tidy up the rest of my ignition. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #444 (Edited)
I put back in my 164S the Bosch Projector headlights I took off last week when I thought might sell the car. I used my 9004 adapter harnesses I got from ebay so I can change back to Carello 9004 headlights without cutting wiring again.

I reinstalled my toggle switch and diode set up to make all four H1 bulbs stay on at will on High beam setting. It is plug and play too, so no wire cutting.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
Coming home stopped for some gas. 50 liters. €88 and some change.
About five years ago I crossed the border (bridge) to Spain and filled up. I remember telling the gasman the pump was faulty, as in Portugal the € meter ran faster than the fuel meter and in that pump it was the opposite. We had long been paying over 1€/L.

The cheapest 95 octane petrol in the country is sold at 1.459€/L ($7.217 per gallon). And you wouldn't believe the price of two-stroke mix! I'm lucky the Vespa is so economical...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
That is $1.81/l in Australian money which is about 40-50 cents more than we are paying today at the cheap part of the discount cycle we go through. How much is diesel over there? We are paying Au$1.52 currently. Diesel stays pretty much the same all the time here.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
"I put back in my 164S the Bosch Projector headlights I took off last week when I thought might sell the car. I used my 9004 adapter harnesses I got from ebay so I can change back to Carello 9004 headlights without cutting wiring again."

Steve, I understand the below-the-dash mod but how exactly did you wire the 1-(9004 male)-to-2 (H1) connectors?

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #448 (Edited)
"I put back in my 164S the Bosch Projector headlights I took off last week when I thought might sell the car. I used my 9004 adapter harnesses I got from ebay so I can change back to Carello 9004 headlights without cutting wiring again."

Steve, I understand the below-the-dash mod but how exactly did you wire the 1-(9004 male)-to-2 (H1) connectors?
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/203907-bosch-projectors-installed-my-164s.html

Outside projector H1 bulb lens is low beam. Inner non projector H1 lens is high beam and also has "city" parking light.

A - INNER hi beam green Left light and green/blk Right light goes to matching
color in original L/R 9004 connector in orignal wiring harnesses
B - hi beam black ground to black in 9004 connector
C - OUTER low beam gray L gray/blk R to gray or gray-black in 9004 connector
D - city light (parking) yellow goes to yellow in original parking light harness
E - LB/PL black ground ALSO to black in 9004 connector

The new 9004 adapter is basically the simulated end of a 9004 bulb so plugs into original 9004 wiring plug on USA spec 164s.

I had ABCDE connectors I cut out of 164 door wiring harnesss so I didn't have to cut Bosch connectors off headlights. But if you do have to cut off ABCDE connectors then you just match up wire colors.

The black ground wire in new adapter gets hooked to B and E black ground wires of Bosch projector.

The high beam wire (red in adapter) goes to Bosch A green wire I used green shrink wrap to match left H/L green; right H/L green-black.

The low beam wire (green in adapter) goes to Bosch C gray wire. I had to use silver sharpie pen to color code gray to match left H/L gray; righ H/L gray-black.

To wire up city light yellow D wire I had to wire it into original yellow parking light wire. I used male/female spade terminals.

Since I keep original 1157 bulb dual element and socket I didn't have to have special harness to fit Bosch 1156 single element turn signal socket. If you go that way the harness on a window regulator motor fits if you have an old motor laying around. Then you would have to splice that harness into blue turn signal wire and black ground wire for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
How much is diesel over there? We are paying Au$1.52 currently. Diesel stays pretty much the same all the time here.
Cheapest diesel in the country sells at €1.309/L (supermarket pump) and the most expensive sells at €1.489/L (highway pump, prices are always a premium). LPG sells for as little as €0.699/L but prices vary wildly between pumps. The most expensive sells at €0.869/L.

Many people want to adapt their cars but because law mandates that adapted cars must have a big blue plate stating it runs on LPG, some people won't use because of what others might think ("that guy bought a Merc and now can't pay the gas"). Not to mention LPG powered cars aren't allowed in underground parking lots. This is the only country where this happens.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Diesel €1.70 around here. Funny, we can get a tessera for about €10 from the locals and this knocks maybe 10 euro cents off the price per liter in the northeast of Italy. Guess their thinking in that we then won't go to Slovenia for fuel where it's cheaper. Can't remember how good this card is for but think its 2 or 3 years. Ciao chris

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Changed my streeing rack in my 79 Fetta me winta beater. Coooollllddddd!!!!!! Went pretty smooth, since I never changed one before. Next week alignment. Thanks to RobH for the Rack, I owe him big time. Driving it the last couple of weeks was challenging, especially in the snow.

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #452

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Diesel €1.70 around here. Funny, we can get a tessera for about €10 from the locals and this knocks maybe 10 euro cents off the price per liter in the northeast of Italy. Guess their thinking in that we then won't go to Slovenia for fuel where it's cheaper. Can't remember how good this card is for but think its 2 or 3 years. Ciao chris
How much does petrol, (gasoline), cost there?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
in Slovenia I don't know. Here in NE Italy about 1.72 euro per litre. Wanna get me going?? Lets talk about the price of oil. About 10 euro a litre. Grrrrrrr. Like wine? I swear I'm not makin this up. You can go to the local "cantina"s and fill up in bulk. Good stuff about 3 euro a litre. Sorta like pumpin gas!!! ciao, chris

·
Registered
573 Posts
in Slovenia I don't know. Here in NE Italy about 1.72 euro per litre. Wanna get me going?? Lets talk about the price of oil. About 10 euro a litre. Grrrrrrr. Like wine? I swear I'm not makin this up. You can go to the local "cantina"s and fill up in bulk. Good stuff about 3 euro a litre. Sorta like pumpin gas!!! ciao, chris
Price of oil on petrol stations is outrageous. It goes well over 10€/L (and you can get very good wine for less). I get mine from parts store at 23€/5L jug. It's semi-synthetic and I have been using a bit too much oil as my sump gasket leaks and I haven't found a new one yet.

Any luck on finding Fiat Twin Cam gaskets in Italy for a decent price?

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'll be happy to look. Shoot me a note with what you need and usual info. On would be best. Off to change coils, almost finished coffee so I'm rarin to go. Ciao, buon epiphinia.
Hope I spelled that correctly. Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
coils. One thing I like on the 4 banger is the room to work!!! Wound up having to put the old ones back on as the Marelli universals connector to the hi lead is wonky. Short run and I noted a difference. Old coils are measuring 4500 ohm on the secondary and 0 on the primary. The new ones 7500 and 0 respectively. Any idea why the second coil has a tach wire to nowhere??? Oh well, off to the parts house to exchange the coils. ciao. chris

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
After fitting the new set of wheels and after a long time not driving the car, I just took it for a spin around the neighborhood. New wheels, beautiful sunny day in Boston, great sound of Alfa...what else... :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Checked several engine compartment grounds for voltage drop. I'll have to get a better meter someday.

I've been trying to troubleshoot my ABS. While driving, the light comes on. If I turn the key off and on again, the ABS resets and the light goes out.
I suspect I'll have a bad phonic sensor wire as the light often comes on after going over large bumps and holes. It also seems to happen more when it rains.

I've checked the left wheel ring and it was filthy with dust and grime. The outer insulation on the sensor cables has mostly fallen off. Seems like I'll have some rewiring to do on all wheels. I hope the main harness to the pump is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Light Work Today.

Replaced both rubber shift boots and the speedometer on a friend's 1982 Spider.

441 - 460 of 14620 Posts