Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 14430 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
I took mine for a spin and I also like to refuel it before the light goes on so, I stopped by the supermarket petrol station.

I did notice it runs a bit rougher on this cheaper gas. I can't feel any vibrations when I fill at BP or GALP (major brands) stations. They're all supposed to be exactly the same 95 octane petrol. I'll give that a bit more study.

Yesterday I did fix a nasty squeaking sound I had on the steering wheel covers (the ones I took out to replace the fuel door release fuse) with some grease. I'll also fix the rear lighter this week.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Walked across St Stephens Park wearing my Alfa Romeo yachting team jacket (which I was given for Christmas) - useful to fend off the cold, damp air here in Dublin.

Thinking of my blue 164 put away in its own garage... looking forward to sanding down the roof and repainting (at least that seems feasible now it has its own garage... the fact that I am 18,000km away is a mere technicality)...

-Alex

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice drive this morning in a Detroit snowstorm. The way this 164 LS handles the snow one would think it has AWD. I was passing SUVs the whole way to work!

In fact, I think it handles better then the Mountaineer I just sold.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yesterday I loaded more bent, buckled and twisted rear end sheet metal I had cut off Sara's B model into my trailer. Topped off with trunk lid complete with tree indentation along right edge.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nice drive this morning in a Detroit snowstorm. The way this 164 LS handles the snow one would think it has AWD. I was passing SUVs the whole way to work!

In fact, I think it handles better then the Mountaineer I just sold.
Bet you're glad we didn't swap out the snows for the summer rims...told you it it was a beast in the snow!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bet you're glad we didn't swap out the snows for the summer rims...told you it it was a beast in the snow!
Totally! I was actually excited to see how well it handled in the snow. There's a ramp to get out of my underground garage and people couldn't get out.
No problem with this snow beast! And on the freeway...awesome!

Great car, thanks again!

Now...if I can only sell the 91 sitting in the garage...

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I washed three 164's, Ford Ranger and Chevy Bu today. Drove Black Beauty and truck to run errands.

Tonight I think we will be driving Myron's 95LS to our Alfa dinner meeting.

New Fiat Studio Dealer to bring a Fiat 500 to the meeting for show and tell.

I, as in Forrest Gump, played Lt Dan and gave our wrecked 164B a set of magic legs for rear end (Milano Verde rear axle and 164 red spare wheels).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
President's Day is done and I was able to finally spend eight quality hours on the various Alfa's...

First I applied Chazzy's (Charles') latest trick to the fuel sender light of Bella the daily driver, and I will see how that goes during the work week.
The fuel low warning light shines when it feels like....and that after I totally refurbished the tank sender unit to no avail.

Then it was on to the current merger between Jenny from the Forest and the recently acquired donor car from SC, beneath the huge Live Oaks in the garden.
It was a glorious day in NE FL.

The recipient (Jenny) is finally down to body, wiring and brake lines.
I was able to verify that the fuel and brake lines are all clear.
The bulkhead behind the firewall is redone and closed off to falling leaves etc.
I think we are ready to start relocating the donor steering rack, brake servo unit and other stuff behind the engine.

Hopefully with work deadlines now behind me I can take off a few more days and keep this ball rolling.

Lastly we ended the day washing the daily driver (Bella) before the barbeque.

It was a great Alfa day.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
President's Day a great day! My 82 Spider after 18 years of hibernation is almost complete. I needed a few pieces from the PAHTs Kah, more importantly a Plastic Fuel Injector Coupling. 8 degrees -10 Wind chill, I journeyed to the back of the barn and revealed the car COOOLD!! 5 to 10 Minute intervals I reached the part, but it's stuck in the BLOCK COOOLD! Soaked and Cleaned, Probe, Cleaned and Soaked ~ 3:30 POP! It came out, rolling down my screwdriver. I Borged it. Success! A good ALFA Day!!

·
Registered
573 Posts

Paid the bill for the front brake pads replacement. Details:

Ferodo brake pads: 150€
Labour: 0€

Even the shop's owner was stunned with the price. Clerk said he couldn't find references for another brand (the same guy that couldn't find the sparkplug wires). They still squeak badly.

What other brands/references/prices have you got for these?
It's the 4 cylinder 2.0 turbo, with girling calipers.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Now I wonder if that particular 500 in 20 years' time will be in the same shiny condition as your Black Beauty 164 - somehow I doubt it!

The photo from the rear really shows the way that even a small car is so tall these days - I guess that's inevitable to get the interior space we need. I'm not sure that the 500 wins any beauty awards from me but it is a clever remake of the original and FIATs are pretty well-made these days, with all the features you expect in a new car. The original 500 was basic even by the standards of the day; this new 500 has quite a bit more equipment than the other small cars made by FIAT - things like stability control, seven airbags, auto hill-holder brake, Xenon lights on some models, and a good sound system.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
It is a little butt ugly in a cute sort of way and yes as you can see it is higher than a stock height 164.

It is fun to drive though. I think I could probably keep the paint as shiny in 20 years as BB is after 20 years. HOWEVER, I probably would have to have somebody else drive me around in it by then.

Peter Vack has a good review story on 500 today http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/16819

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
Alfa related today?...I broke the drivers outside door handle:( I haven't worked on my Alfas for several months. I've been busy on the new, old house. The house isn't broke and 2 of the Alfas are. Time to do some Alfa wrenching.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I was just reading the Winding Road review of the 500 and the Sport is supposed to be the one to get in terms of performance and value. I want one bad. ;) So far the closest dealer is going to be in Nashville. Hopefully that will change and we will get a "Studio" soon.
Charles

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
IMHO the Fiat 500 isn't very attractive compared to the MiTo or the Giulietta. The thing to get excited about is Alfas return.

·
Premium Member
26,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
IMHO the Fiat 500 isn't very attractive compared to the MiTo or the Giulietta. The thing to get excited about is Alfas return.
I think based on pix the butt of Giulietta is nicer looking but not wild about front grille look.

Pocket book wise I might be able to afford a 500 Sport not sure about Alfa and I could buy (order) a 500 Sport now.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Your right Richard, the Alfas are even more appealing and I can't wait to see them on the road when/if they get here, but the 500 starts at $15,500 and is available in a few short months! Very tempting.
Charles

·
Registered
143 Posts
I fixed the horn on the 164, it hasn't worked since I got it 2 years ago and has been driving me nuts! Finally after one too many idiots have pulled out without looking I decided to fix it. Checked all the wires I could find and there was no obvious loose connections or corrosion. Pulled the horn pad off the center of the steering wheel and what do ya know, a dangling wire in the steering column but no sign of anywhere to connect it. Somehow the previous owner had managed to lose the wires on the horn pad itself (the three wires that go under the springs to make contact when you push the pad) so no wonder the horn didn't work! A quick trip to the local alfa guy and a rummage around his parts 164 had my a nice horn pad complete with wires.

Now the horn works like a dream, so much so I think I pissed my neighbors off when coming home at 1am last night, tipped the 164 into my road in typical alfa 164 fashion (heaps of body roll and the front tyres on the edge of adhesion) and my hand must have rolled slightly and pressed the horn :eek:. Driving to work this morning the neighbor gave me a stern glare as I passed, between the 164 and the GTV6 I think he's surprised I haven't ended up in his front lawn with the way I tackle that corner :p.

21 - 40 of 14430 Posts