Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I just enjoyed driving my Alfa today.....to work and back in light fast traffic.
It was a warm FL day and the sunroof was open.
The speedometer has started to malfunction but who watches that anyways....
I need to fix it so that the odometer continues to tell me when the gas is about to run out as the yellow fuel warning light shines as it feels like.

Between a major work event I hope to play with our Alfa's this long weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I had brake icons and low oil level (has plenty oil) icons on and door open indicators on. Wonder why!
The brake icons may be on because the wiring and connectors on the brake pedal were dislodged on impact. I found these come on when there is a problem in that area....

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
President's Day is done and I was able to finally spend eight quality hours on the various Alfa's...

First I applied Chazzy's (Charles') latest trick to the fuel sender light of Bella the daily driver, and I will see how that goes during the work week.
The fuel low warning light shines when it feels like....and that after I totally refurbished the tank sender unit to no avail.

Then it was on to the current merger between Jenny from the Forest and the recently acquired donor car from SC, beneath the huge Live Oaks in the garden.
It was a glorious day in NE FL.

The recipient (Jenny) is finally down to body, wiring and brake lines.
I was able to verify that the fuel and brake lines are all clear.
The bulkhead behind the firewall is redone and closed off to falling leaves etc.
I think we are ready to start relocating the donor steering rack, brake servo unit and other stuff behind the engine.

Hopefully with work deadlines now behind me I can take off a few more days and keep this ball rolling.

Lastly we ended the day washing the daily driver (Bella) before the barbeque.

It was a great Alfa day.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Back in the 164L daily driver shopping today with sunroof and windows wide open and enjoying great FL weather, after a high speed sojourn yesterday to mid-FL (Melbourne) and back in our beautifully performing ODY (Odyssey) to meet old friends for a very enjoyable meal at Meg O' Malleys.
The recent ODY EGR System maintenance has overshadowed all the required ALFA tasks.

With my day off work tomorrow (Monday) I hope to continue the Jenny / donor ALFA merge which is almost at the point of no return. IE: Engine transplant.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Between dinner and walking the 100lb puppy who just had $5K hip surgery I decided to plunder the crashed Alfa as I chip away at the problems with my new daily 164B driver.....

I was after the plug ignition leads, distributor cap and rotor in order to resolve a high rev misfire which spoils acceleration on auto trans kick down.

I found that the crashed Alfa distributor cap had been crushed by the side impact.
Yes the cruise control unit was tucked neatly beneath the distributor cap but I had not noticed earlier that beneath the black plastic outer cap the inner red cap had been badly fractured.
This might (probably not) explain why the crashed engine idles fine but dies when an attempt is made to rev above idle.

On the other hand the 164B plug leads are so old that the plug caps are brittle and cracked.
I had to chisel a piece off #3 cap in order to draw it up past the head.
The rotor was definitely very old - the contact strip badly pitted and almost flush with the plastic.
On the other hand the distributor cap is very good and was maybe changed within the last few years.
In any event a new distributor cap and rotor are on the way......ordered this morning.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Use a wood spacer so clamp will hold down tight
Every man to his own - I used Polaris pool hose floats when bracing the smaller batteries.......

But I recently reverted to the big Autocraft 31A battery which seems to be on the shelf at ADVANCE with good discount from time to time.
I paid $85.00.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
The BB's are looking good Steve, as is the tidied out garage....

My Lady and I drove around the appliance dealers in Silver Sophia the 164B which has been in service three weeks now.
The auto trans issues seem to be resolved since I adjusted the band tensioner and re-seated the kick down cable inside the box.
We need a new fridge.....I am tired of fixing the old one and it's probably no longer economical to run.

This evening I brought Jenny the other rebuild project around from beneath the Live Oaks to the garage driveway as we are expecting major rain and wind tonight.
By accident I left her running for about 20 minutes whilst dealing with something else on the street - she was just purring away happily - the #1 valve still clicks too loud though.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
The only Alfa stuff I did all this three day weekend was to relocate the Jenny rebuild project from beneath the Live Oaks and back due to a fearsome storm which went through Georgia instead of here where the local weather experts forecast......we had no much needed rain and now it is chilly.

I replaced a soggy bathroom floor which had started to smell bad.
This turned out to be a full rebuild from floor beams, sub-floor, floor and upwards to replacing some of the lower drywall and tiles.
All easy stuff but tedious....just finished about a half hour ago.

Looking forward to another three day weekend (Monday off) next weekend whereupon I shall be Alfa selfish with my few precious spare hours....

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
The car even looks better than I thought it would without them.
Sheeesh and I just went to great pain and some expense to replace broken lenses and rear brackets to see that you guys are deleting fog lamps......

I have never seen how or why these fog lamps exist but I thought it was an FL thing where we never see fog, snow or any need to use them.

Like those ridiculous headlamp washers which I so diligently fix but never use.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Another weekend gone by without touching any of the Alfa's.
I am paying the price in backlogged household chores as I spent too much time on the Alfa's over the Holiday Season.
I have Monday off so I am hoping to relocate the totalled Alfa to her final resting spot beneath the Mighty Live Oaks so that I can start to dismantle....

Have a good week folks....

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Today I finally managed to work out why the crashed Alfa engine would only idle and cut out when given gas.
The MAF/AFM housing was cracked by the sideways impact.
I believe it was responsible for crushing the distributor cap....

It was a bittersweet moment to again hear the car run so nicely as it used to, but it will have to be taken apart soon.

At least now I can move her from the trash can area to a final resting place beneath the Live Oaks.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
This might not sound Alfa related but it is .....

Erected a 100' chain link fence and removed the old 100' temporary fence. My whole body aches, fingers included.

Raked leaves and leveled ground near the old and new fences and carted leaves and debris away in the wheelbarrow.

The new fence still needs to be puppy proofed with pipe instead of wire at the bottom against the ground, but all is ready for the Alfa Beneath the Mighty Live Oaks gathering next weekend.

Well almost...tomorrow I must relocate the crashed Alfa to an almost out of sight final resting place beneath the Mighty Live Oaks.

Next Saturday we are hoping to make new friends and see a few cool Alfa's from around NE FL.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Folks,

The crashed Alfa started first crank and took her last drive today down the driveway and around the side of the house to park alongside the ex-BREMMS body which is now used to store car seats.
It was not a happy drive as the steering is messed up and the right side wheel is at an angle from the vertical.
The engine sounded good and it was good to sit in her immaculate interior again.
Once I have caught up on the household chores I hope to resume the Jenny rebuild project.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
With the longer evenings now I have been taking care of the little stuff on Sophia my new (old) daily driver.
Today I quietened the doors which groaned, clicked and squealed when being opened and closed. Now they are quiet.
Yesterday I did the oil pressure sender hole punch trick to get some life back into the pressure gauge on the dash. That worked but I think the sender unit needs replacement anyway sometime in the future when I can get another one.
On a previous evening this week I aligned the windscreen washer jets, cleared the pipes, changed the three way valve at the bulkhead and filled up the reservoir.
The jets work great but the reservoir leaks so I will have to go in through the wheel well when next I am down in that area.
Luckily I just filled the reservoir with tap water as I had a feeling I might need to do more before I use washer fluid.

Once the lawn is mowed for a second time this month I hope to spend at least a few hours this weekend getting the A/C ready for re-charge as NE FL is heating up fast.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Glad I didn't sell my spare to Neville as originally planned.
I must admit I did cackle to myself earlier this week when I saw your dilemma....I could have sold it back to you as I really only need the end piece which you kindly delivered in person.
I am not short of muffler center sections now that I have a crashed Alfa.
I have never had a nice end piece so the recently delivered S item is going to be my guilty pleasure....

As for what I did in my 218K Alfa today, I drove all the way across JAX in late afternoon FL heat without A/C during 5pm rush hour chaos to collect 5th Gen Honda Prelude fenders which we need to restore eldest Son's car.
He is doing excellent college grades and making his Ma proud which means he gets all my attention.....he made the Dean's list.

The 218K Alfa did just great ducking and diving on and off I95 and through the inner city and back without missing a beat.
We did about fifty miles on the memory of when we last had gas....I hope I can get to the gas station tomorrow.
Currently averaging around 20mpg which is as good as my recently totaled manual trans 164L with 118K.
The 218K "parts car" is really making me happy....many of the usual minor issues but going so strong.
The auto trans is great in rush hour traffic.....but I am getting old.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
an oh man is Old Blue ever so quiet with new used not sold to Neville muffler installed.
Steve,

Many times it pays to procrastinate and I am now glad we did not rush the exhaust deal.
I do need, want and received the S end piece which I hope and trust you don't miss....

Think even further back on the the other parts I cleared from your garage sale which suddenly became available from my best 164L which was totaled near Christmas.

Any time you need stuff back just ask and I might likely have it as now I have too many parts cars .....

Ta,

Neville.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Alfa Heaven...Beneath the Live Oaks...

Folks,

It was a glorious day here in NE FL today and I was able to spend about 5 hours doing Alfa stuff.
The crashed Alfa was plundered and is now starting to look sadly derelict.
I need to get daily driver Sophia equipped with A/C as the FL heat is coming on fast.
I cannot even open the sunroof so that will also be plundered from one of the two parts cars as soon as possible.
Open sunroof is better than open windows....
No need to waste time trying to fix the Sophia sunroof as I know I have two others working just fine.....
I did spend another fruitless twenty minutes trying to stop the airbag light from flashing....1 crocodile, 2 crocodile....its still flashing.....grrrrrr.
Otherwise no lights on this dash.....OK the fuel low amber light comes on when it feels like...known Alfa 164 feature!

Have a great week ahead y'all.....

Ta,

Neville.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Today I worked from home which meant I could get an early start this glorious NE FL evening and exchange the perforated 219K Sophia exhaust middle and end pieces.
The middle piece came off the crashed Alfa and the S end piece came from Steve's garage clearance towards the end of last year.
Steve was kind enough to bring it down from Virginia during his recent visit to JAX which saved me a bunch of dollars in shipping.
The hardest part was getting the old "one piece" exhaust off.
I had to use an angle grinder beneath the car to cut where there is normally joint.
Most of the noise was coming from the poorly welded joint.
The old end piece is ANSA and looks fine so I will keep it just in case.
The old center piece goes in the junk heap.
There is still work to be done as the S tips are not snug within the opening in the rear bumper skirt.
The S opening is probably lower due to the S skirt.
I will have to act carefully but the tips need to be bent upwards somehow.
Finally I have a great sounding Alfa.
It is quieter and smoother inside and growls outside.

Ta,

Neville.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I applied the various tips from above and managed to close the gap by about an inch, maybe less.
I think I may have transferred too much load onto the center rubber (doughnut) rings, even after taking up as much slack as possible at the back by bending the end piece brackets.
The rear muffler also cannot go any further to the driver side so the tips are too close to the right side if the recess when they finally do go more upwards.
The rear muffler is now probably a little too close to the heat shield and might cause bumping sounds....we shall see tomorrow.
This all points to a visit to the muffler shop to have the tail pipes repositioned as I don't have that type equipment.

Here is the latest picture.....before and after.

Ta,

Neville.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 410 Posts