Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Well you got to see if the engines OK don't you? No other way to find that out. Steve, you amaze me. I didn't think you would let anything go to waste, but you never fail to amaze me with your energy.
I did a little work to mine and put some new fuel lines on my engine (again) to stop fuel leaks. Seems like I go through this exercise once a year. I went with Continental brand hose that is very firm and has a high thread count. It went on very tightly so I know that I'm not just relying on the clamps to seal up the connections. Lets hope this hose lasts longer than any I have used before and remains leak free. I got smart this time and did it right, start up the car and then pull the fuel pump relay till it dies and then begin work removing hoses. Still leaks a good bit when you loosen and remove hoses, so you have to be ready for that with rags. This 164 has been very, very trouble free and has taken up very little of my time the last few years I must say, save for fuel leaks/smells. All that work I did some time ago has paid off.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I was just reading the Winding Road review of the 500 and the Sport is supposed to be the one to get in terms of performance and value. I want one bad. ;) So far the closest dealer is going to be in Nashville. Hopefully that will change and we will get a "Studio" soon.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Your right Richard, the Alfas are even more appealing and I can't wait to see them on the road when/if they get here, but the 500 starts at $15,500 and is available in a few short months! Very tempting.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
"Spent the morning sorting out Alfa parts in my laundry room."
LOL, your a case Steve :)
Our new house has a great laundry/Alfa parts stock room. I put some shelving in it the other day to get it all off the floor. One has to keep a stock of the things you know your going to need with one of these cars. ;) If only I had a p/s pressure hose on the shelf.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Alex was so kind as to send to me two foglight delete panels! I had been looking for some of these for some time now. I just installed them and remembered why I hate messing with those things. Not easy at all to get to those three screws. Even my rust free Southern car suffered rust at these little screws. Very tough to get to the ones at the top especially on the p/s side. So much easier to put them back in sans fogs. I have replaced these things so many times after they have gotten broken from various causes (usually a large rock), I am glad to be without them. They don't do much in fog anyway. I have tried them many times now that I live on a mountain, I still have no use for them. They mostly light up the road directly in front of the car and not so much down the road at all. Maybe I could have spent some time aiming them, but I'm tired of the foglight money pit. The car even looks better than I thought it would without them.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Thanks to Alfisto Steve, I installed a replacement driver's side rear view mirror from his stash. An idiot broke mine in a turn lane to get absolutely nowhere in a hurry. It's going to be nice to not have that thing shaking so bad anymore. I also noticed today that my passenger side mirror has the "Objects in Mirror are Closer than they Appear" writing on it. Never really thought much about what kind of mirror that one was, but I guess that makes my car a late-ish '91. ;)

Greased my squeaky horn contact too. I updated my thread on that in case anybody has the same issue, an easy fix even though I had thought it was going to be hard to get to.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Yesterday, I put on a very slightly used L muffler in place of the now perforated S muffler. I will miss the sound, but I bought this practically new muffler a few years back for very little money. I put on new donuts too. The two center ones were completely missing and I put new ones on every 8-12 months, they just do not last worth a flip. I'm trying some new Bosal brand donuts this time, I hope they last longer. They are the kind with a diagonal bit in the middle. A bit of a tight fit, I have been suffering from a stranded neck muscle ever since wrestling them on. :pinch: I donut hook is a necessary tool, just wish mine was a little larger gauge as I always end up bending it.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Mr Chaz, are u talking about the donut gaskets that fit between the pipes proper or is your term "donut", the rubber hangers?? ciao, chris
I was referring to the rubber hangers. I try to put them on without bending any of the metal tabs lest I crack the paint/rust proofing under the car. Besides, the ones on these Cisam mufflers are kind of tough,maybe I'm a wimp? These Bosal hangers are a little undersize in diameter, so more work stretching them on. The added rubber in the middle makes them tougher too. These are a Bosal 255-317. 61 cents on Amazon, .46 cents on Rockauto! :thumbup1: Maybe that's why I had 5 on hand.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
strut washers

jc96, can you pick up 4 of these for me? I would be forever indebted. We never got this style strut in the US and I have some new early style to go in, but not the right parts to install them. I have hollowed out a later style mount to fit the rubber (I got some of those new from Germany) from the early style and that will work, just don't have these large curved washers.
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
"jc96, can you pick up 4 of these for me? I would be forever indebted...just don't have these large curved washers."

Charles, wouldn't it be a lot simpler to order belleville disc spring washers from McMaster & Carr? They even carry metric. Here are two links:

Belleville washer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McMaster-Carr
I looked but not finding the sizes I need. Nothing even close really. Small IDs with large ODs is the problem.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Chris thank you so much for those washer measurements. I think Steve's Taurus washers will be useful for this project. Thank you also for trying to find these parts for me. I really appreciate it.

Spent the day yesterday replacing a septic tank sewer pipe, real fun, I would much rather have turned a wrench on the Alfa! Did I mention, I HATE plumbing. I'd rather do anything over plumbing.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I know there are variables but what do you expect to pay to have your septic sucked out? Here it's around 500 euro.
Here it's $250-$350. Not too bad for what they have to do actually.

No need to keep looking for the strut washers unless you stumble across some. Thanks again for trying.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Regarding the struts. Sorry man, I forgot to tell you to watch out for all those little ball bearings! They go everywhere if you are not aware of their ability to escape. :oops: I wish they had some kind of sealed design that kept the two halves together and dirt and water out. It's funny though that when you have a good bearing in your hand, it's kind of hard to separate the two without them suddenly releasing and then bearings go everywhere in that case as well. :blink:
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Still working on building a good transmission for my failed 5 speed. I bought an OTC differential bearing puller kit (OTC 4520). Worked perfectly, very quality tool. Those bearings are on there good and not much to bite on, so the right tool is the only tool for this. Also had new bearings pressed on today. Ready to make sure the shim still is right for bearing preload. I would have run the bearings that were there, but the races looked worn more than I liked.
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Richard, when I put the tan S interior in my L, I was minus a set of door panel inserts for the driver's door. I did later get those from another source, but they are not in as good of shape or quite the right color as the rest. If you have a good set of tan door panel inserts for the driver's door, I am interested.

I did get a bargain on some used floor mats with the Alfa Romeo script and those went in yesterday evening. It doesn't take much to get me excited it seems, cause those put a smile on my face as they where much nicer than I had anticipated from the photos of them. Woot woot!:clap::clap:
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Warm weather has my 164 on the road again. I noticed while it sat though that the left rear tire was going flat and the brake master leaked fluid. It was not happy sitting there for a month or so. New tire today as the nail was just outside of the tread and the master does not leak much as long as you drive the thing. :whistling: BUT, now I ALSO have a stumble that was not there before when you try to use any abrupt throttle. Slow throttle OK, fast, stumble then go. My car does NOT like to sit! :detective: Moral of the story… Drive um, if you got um!

Oh, and how in the world it managed to burn out almost all the little 2721 bulbs in the climate control panel, just sitting there, is beyond me. All fixed there as well though so no biggy.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
My 164 made a friend today. Pulled into a Bojangles for lunch and the guy behind me in line comes up and asks me about my Alfa. We struck up a conversation and talked Alfas over lunch. Turns out he has owned at least half a dozen, mostly Spiders and GTV6s. That kind of stuff doesn't happen too much with other cars, I don't suspect. I just enjoyed talking to someone that knew Alfas, you know what I mean? :clap: Most people just give me a weird look. :blink:
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I just make use of HVAC type aluminum foil tape to seal off the big donut between the two HVAC system "boxes." The rubber donut between the two doesn't really make a 100% seal, especially if they are not lined up just so. When you need to take it apart you still can fairly easily. I also tape on some HVAC filter material right above the factory air intake/cabin filter box. Just to keep the leaves and larger junk out from the factory paper filter. Just a second layer of course filtering.

You should be able to get a hold of an actual Automotive thermometer pretty easy and cheap at Harbor Freight or auto parts store for less than $10.
Charles

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts