Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1376 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Today I drove the silver 164B pulling the trailer loaded down with 2 rolling tool chests, one large tool box, a floor stand drill press, motorcycle jack and a few other odd and ends. I'm move the shop from the greenhouse to the large garage at our new old house.

Also I tried starting the red 164S...no go...I think it's the fuel pump:( I think I'll be going a head first dive into the trunk soon:(

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Alfa related today?...I broke the drivers outside door handle:( I haven't worked on my Alfas for several months. I've been busy on the new, old house. The house isn't broke and 2 of the Alfas are. Time to do some Alfa wrenching.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
IMHO the Fiat 500 isn't very attractive compared to the MiTo or the Giulietta. The thing to get excited about is Alfas return.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Put a new clutch slave cylinder in the 164S. Bleeding was a breeze. I used tie wire to hold the old one up as high as I could, primed the new one before I put it on, and made the swap quickly.
Leaving tomorrow morning for 3 weeks in FL to visit my 92 YO mother. She's still living on her own, but slowing down. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Drove the clunker 164B to Seattle today. Waiting at the airport now.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I'm in Englewood, FL checking up on mother, so my stable is over 3500 miles away. Nothing Alfa until Feb 23 :( I'm stuck driving her 1996 Buick Century. It's only redeeming feature is the really terrific A/C.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
The group 31 batteries sold at auto parts stores and Walmart, etc are not nearly the capacity of group 31 truck batteries or original Interstate.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
When we lived in eastern Canada...3 weeks of -20F, I had a Toyota Landcruiser BJ60, a diesel. I ran 2 group 31 truck batteries. Hardly ever had problems. Moved to Cheyenne, WY. Went to Farm and Garden store to get new ones @ $100 ea. Drove from F&G to grocery store. While I was shopping there, someone stole both new batteries:( I try to run the biggest, baddest batteries I can in these old cars and keep the trunk locked so they're not stolen:)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I know what you mean. Daryl's car with stock suspension had a cracked pan and my red 164S is lowered.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Actually, Del it rides much better now. I got the auto suspension working and run it on the soft setting. Rides quite nice. The springs aren't cut, but aftermarket ones of some kind. I haven't bottomed it out yet and am trying to be careful:)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
You know, I'd probably be happier with stock, but not unhappy with this set up. I have springs to return to stock, but rebuilding a 2L for the Berlina right now and there's so much to do around the house. I can't start more remodel until engine is together to keep saw dust out of open engine. I really need a bigger garage and a rebuild room.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
"Spent the morning sorting out Alfa parts in my laundry room."
LOL, your a case Steve :)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Steve, Let us know how the alignment turns out with the shim pack.
Last evening, drove the 164B home from Seattle after we returned from 3 weeks in FL. The B started right up and got us home. Today I fired up the red 164S and drove it around for errands including getting gas for the lawn mower. The grass has grown 2" in the 3 weeks we were away. My oh my, how I love that 164S. It also fired right up. The suspension is tight and it runs so much better than the B.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Yea, it's a beater needing a ton of work...front end rebuild, heads, body damaged RR needs repair, motor mounts, brake lines...The steppers work great:)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Following Del's lead, I spent a couple hours in the garage going through spares, sorting and boxing them up in groups. Labeling to come later. I'm about half way through.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Day 2 of sorting/organizing spare parts in the shop. Another day should rap it up:)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I checked to see how many door handles I need for the 3 164s in the yard. (2 mine and 1 belongs to my son). After using up all my spares, I still need 2 left front outside, 2 right rear outside and 1 left front inside:( These are the ones that are cracked. Several others have small dents.

1 - 20 of 1376 Posts