Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 2693 Posts

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What did you do Alfa [and 164] related today?

I had a slow to go Alfa day today.

First off I worked on setting up my wife's future garden plot permiters with 4x4 eight foot posts. I tilled up part of the area yesterday with my neighbor's roto-tiller. I have to get more soil and compost trucked/trailered in before spring.

Did I mentioned we have been having a real heat wave this week. It has been tee shirt weather. Such a relief after 20-40 degree weather.

75 ° Partly CloudyFeels Like 75°
Relative Humidity 41%
Barometer 29.87(Steady)atm
Dew Point 50 °
Visibility 10.00 Miles
UV Index 1 Low
Wind Speed W 18 to 24mph

I did move two 164's today to get my truck and trailer out so I could take a load of Alfa parts to my storage unit.

With Sara wrecking her car and so much stuff already here, I got a bigger storage unit so I could move out some stuff before I start the salvage operation of it.

When part of your rear yard adjoins your neighbors front yard you have to be creative in your landscaping and be considerate.

Yes I will restore some green grass this year. There was a children's play house in the barren area that I took down but I must admit I killed the rest of side yard grass with my Alfas under the Old Oak tree project.

You can see how far in second tree dented in right side of her trunk lid.

I may use my spare Milano Verde rear wish bone to give her 164B new rear legs as it is now sitting on a wheel dolly.

I set up garden plot as a L-shaped plot so we can still get into back yard to store Alfa rescue projects behind rear gate.

Attachments

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ye Olde Oak Tree project with truck and trailer behind rear rear yard fence.

Attachments

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think your problem is you have to many red Alfas!

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted a link of his problem over on Milano tab.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I unpacked the quarter panel I purchased from Alfa 35 to repair rust damage on the Q! Tomorrow have to pick it up from work and bring it home. Can also finally get a cover on the LS I purchased as a parts car, now that the snow is almost completely melted. Of course it's supposed to snow again on Sunday.
Tom are you in a suburb of Milwaukee? No I see you are west of it. I am by birth from WI (Janesville), but grew up on a farm north of Madison (current hot sport in news).

Many of my now deceased family lived in and around Milwaukee and West Bend.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Haven't gotten to drive my 164's but a couple feet so far today as I moved two of them to get my truck out. I am moving into a bigger storage unit so I will have some more room to store 164 parts as I begin to salvage out Sara's totaled 164B.

I got out of smaller unit and into larger one but have some reorganizing to do so I will have room for QS's parts.

I hope to drive Black Beauty to Italian Bakery for our weekly car guys tire kicking as weather warm enough to be outside again today.

OBTW, we are supposed to have a new Fiat 500 at our Alfa monthly dinner meeting on Monday night.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Didn't drive QS1 but did start it up

Well, didn't drive BB or get to bakery because my friend Lee from NJ called to check on Sara just as I was about to dash out the door.

He drove his 164B today for first time in a couple months he said. He has a blue one with better paint than Old Blue and has 15" Q4 wheels on it he got from Difatta years ago. They only had two left or I would have had a set, too.

Anyway, bride taking a nap after a gardening in the wind day so we can go out for Italian dinner tonight.

We are taking Old Blue for a spin.

As she is slumbering I decided to start up Sara's totaled B model. Had to use dual jumper wires on negative post of battery to get a good enough ground to rear cross member but it fired right up and runs smooth. Most everything not torn off works fine.

I had brake icons and low oil level (has plenty oil) icons on and door open indicators on. Wonder why! I noticed gas gauge not working either.

As you can see it now has 190,000 plus miles on it. It has been a super good car and she has put over 50,000 miles on it since we got it in 2005 so it served us well.

Attachments

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Life after death by Alfa

The brake icons may be on because the wiring and connectors on the brake pedal were dislodged on impact. I found these come on when there is a problem in that area....
I think lack of brake fluid in reservoir due to ripped off rear brake line has dropped float enough to set brake light and parking lever switch must have broken when brake cable broke. As for low oil light, I had bad probe in crankcase already bypassed with radio shack resistor so maybe wire to resistor snapped, too.

All in all maybe if I put Milano Verde rear wish bone under it and crimp off rear brake lines I can drive it around the yard.

If I get it out by my trailer I can cut off the buckled top and slide it into trailer to go to the scales for 0.09 per lb for the weight of it.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yesterday I loaded more bent, buckled and twisted rear end sheet metal I had cut off Sara's B model into my trailer. Topped off with trunk lid complete with tree indentation along right edge.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I washed three 164's, Ford Ranger and Chevy Bu today. Drove Black Beauty and truck to run errands.

Tonight I think we will be driving Myron's 95LS to our Alfa dinner meeting.

New Fiat Studio Dealer to bring a Fiat 500 to the meeting for show and tell.

I, as in Forrest Gump, played Lt Dan and gave our wrecked 164B a set of magic legs for rear end (Milano Verde rear axle and 164 red spare wheels).

Attachments

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Attachments

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
It is a little butt ugly in a cute sort of way and yes as you can see it is higher than a stock height 164.

It is fun to drive though. I think I could probably keep the paint as shiny in 20 years as BB is after 20 years. HOWEVER, I probably would have to have somebody else drive me around in it by then.

Peter Vack has a good review story on 500 today http://www.velocetoday.com/archives/16819

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
IMHO the Fiat 500 isn't very attractive compared to the MiTo or the Giulietta. The thing to get excited about is Alfas return.
I think based on pix the butt of Giulietta is nicer looking but not wild about front grille look.

Pocket book wise I might be able to afford a 500 Sport not sure about Alfa and I could buy (order) a 500 Sport now.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Drove my white 164B to Italian Bakery to meet the car guys and gal yesterday. Ludy brought her new Fiat 500 Sport demonstrater again from Fiat Studio at my request.

Hard core Truimph driver drove it and was quite impressed. It was amongest fine company as we had 308, 512 and 360 Ferraris, 2008 Yellow Lambo, older Jag sedan, TR4, and my 164B.

Now if I can figure out how to get the pix off my cell phone as I forgot to take my camera.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Well, I was taxi driver with Black Beauty this morning to pick up Harold the piano man for our men's church breakfast and monthly community breakfast after meeting background music.

He can't get over how nice a 21 year old Alfa Romeo runs as I have given him rides in it before and in my 164B Originale.

He wonders if American automakers can claim the same fame! He has been to Italy while in the Navy. So knows what an Italian car is all about.

I assured him the USA auto makers may very well have their act together now after a long dry spell. I hope so any way.

My lawn green it up guy came by today to spray stuff to make me working harder mowing very soon and wondered if my BB was a British made car and thought it looked like a cross between a Cadillac and a BMW.

He knows I have a few of them anyway and admires them every couple months.

I broke Old Blue out of backyard for my beater car show and tell at the Italian bakery this afternoon with the car guys.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I did the stepper motors replacement on Old Blue week or so ago so I had heat and air flow out of the correct ofrices in the day today, today.

I am now working on replacing worn A/T shifter in console but lost daylight before I got done and had to dash off the Olive Garden in my truck for daughter's birthday dinner.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I struggled replacing my driver side headlight bulb as I can't seem to get that darn ring off....very frustrating. Cant seem to get a good grip on it due to the small confines....better luck tomorrow I hope.
Sometimes it is easier to remove headlight so you can get to that big locking ring holding that 9004 bulb in a USA carello headlight.

Or you can remove top of air cleaner and relay box behind headlight area to get more access.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I did remove the relay box and top of air filter. I didn't want to have to remove headlight..but seems that may be the easiest way. The most frustrating thing is that I can get the ring to spin left to right....but I can't seem to get it out.

Just a couple screws to remove headlight? I haven't removed one before.

Thanks.
5 screws - 2 near edge of radiator under rubber flap along side of lens, one on top under rubber flap for L-shaped bracket and two in inner fender holding slotted black bracket.

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

·
28,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
All DIN plugs not created equal it seems

Tried to move Kenwood Radio from our wrecked 164B to Old Blue which had Alpine radio removed before I bought car at auction couple years ago.

The Kenwoord install was professional with plug and play cables plugged into original 164 radio connectors to one DIN connector but Old Blue's Alpine wiring spliced into 164 wiring so original connectors for controls and speakers has been cut out.

I did get rear windows working as both 30 amps fuses had been removed and window glass stuck from lack of use. PO had small kids so he must have removed fuses not knowing about lock out switch.

Also replaced A/T shift lever and took out some of play in cable and lever but still not 100%.

For a beater this 164 is pretty solid car and most systems work.

1 - 20 of 2693 Posts