Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,657 Posts
Modern detergent oils get pretty dark, yes.

Color doesn't really tell you much. If you're worried send a sample to Blackstone: they can tell you a lot about how your engine's running, oil change intervals, etc.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
103 Posts
Black oil is typical because the detergents in modern oil encapsulate carbon deposits. Like Gubi said if your worried there are companys that can analysis oil samples. I wouldn't be worried unless the motor is acting up or you see shiny metal bits or coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
103 Posts
Black oil is typical because the detergents in modern oil encapsulate carbon deposits. Did you get up in the rpm or drive it harder then usual. Revving the motor up higher then normal will often release carbon deposits which will show up in the oil
Like Gubi said if your worried there are companys that can analysis oil samples. I wouldn't be worried unless the motor is acting up or you see shiny metal bits or coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I use Rotella and Castrol and go 3000 miles before i see a hint of darkening on a dipstick.. Engines have over 50000-75000 miles .. I might drain dark but not so much to see it on the stick. If it is black on the stick it is real dirty in the sump. just my 2 cents. Gas in the oil will wash carbon into the sump. I bought my car with 300 miles between oil changes (annuals) for years that is all the guy put on it. and the car had oil black as coal and smelled from >5% gas in the oil. Take over. from here.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. The car has twin Dellorto carbs. I change the oil every 3000 miles and I avoid short trips.

When I say the oil appears black, I mean when I am draining it. A drop from the dipstick is lighter.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
It's always going be darker than it went in.....You should be fine changing the oil every season if it is used that way...3000 miles. would be above and beyond the oil capabilities.. just my humble opinion.. Nice you are on top of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts