Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most likely this is Rosso Amaranto, which was available in a number of versions (see here for a 1972 color sample and paint codes).

I don't think there is a reliable source for pre-war colors because most of the the cars were built by coachbuilders, catering to the taste of the individual buyers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Racing colours

Would any of your sample paint codes refer to racing colours ie. red/maroon circa late 40's? These incidentaly don't show up on my link

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Would any of your sample paint codes refer to racing colours ie. red/maroon circa late 40's? These incidentaly don't show up on my link
I don't have any information I would consider reliable. Most of the paint information I have are from the '60s and '70s, and reds are extremely difficult to nail down because there were so many variations. When a friend asked me about paint codes for a red Giulia SS, I lent him a bunch of swatches and told him "choose the one you like and call it AR-501."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did they at all use colour codes or standardized colours in the 30s and 40s, in small volume productions such as AR, which had bodies built by many different coachbuilders? Wouldn't a oneoff like this one either have the colour of the owners choice, or whatever the coachbuilder found apropriate?
The rather new paint of this car could of course be a newer AR code, or even from any other car make, but to determine that you would need to scan the paint or talk to owner, I guess.

Erik

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Did they at all use colour codes or standardized colours in the 30s and 40s, in small volume productions such as AR, which had bodies built by many different coachbuilders? Wouldn't a oneoff like this one either have the colour of the owners choice, or whatever the coachbuilder found apropriate?
The rather new paint of this car could of course be a newer AR code, or even from any other car make, but to determine that you would need to scan the paint or talk to owner, I guess.
You hit the nail on the head. I pointed out the influence of coach builders andcustomer taste in post #2 above. Standardization seems to have been introduced in the late '40s and early '50s, possibly with the 6C 2500 or even the 1900. The earliest piece of information I have about color code standardization is a technical bulletin that dates from 1961, where the same KF number (factory color code) is shown for the Giulietta Sprints as well as for the 2000 Spiders. The significance is that Giulietta Sprints were built by Bertone, while the 2000 Spider were built by Touring. This does not preclude that there may be earlier bulletins that indicate some sort of standardization -- if they exist, I just don't have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts