Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped all the paint off my 78 spider to bare metal, very surprised that no bonding, with exception of small mose repair and where I stitched in lower front and rear quarter panel.
All new rockers, etc.
Question, I want to paint the car red, but confused on all the red options,
Considering Alfa Rosso 501
I want it that perfect red,
Does anyone have input
Thanks
Shop needs to know final color I. A couple of days

·
Registered
295 Posts
"That perfect Red" exists only in the eye of the beholder!!
If you want to go orginale then your limited
In my mind, orginale Alfa reds are too "Beetly"
I'm thinking of a "True Red" (note my quotes) like Chevy Victory Red
There I've said it!!
Now I'm officially a heretic!!
LOL
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
21,455 Posts
The red PF used was a lot more orange than the red Alfa used on GTVs and Supers. PF's red changed to a darker red in the mid 80s. Can be whatever you like. Have your shop run the Alfa paint number on their paint computer, see what modern matches they get, and if you like them.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Original on a 1978 Spider would have been AR514 Rosso Farina. As Andrew pointed out, it is more orange than AR501 Rosso Alfa which was used by the factory on sedans and coupes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's my '71 GTV at the San Marino Car Show last June, not too long after a 14 month refurbishment. I had agonized over a lot of reds including Ferrari colors and finally went with Alfa Rosso 501. In my opinion, many sports cars would look great in 501, including your Spider. Spiders of that era had more of an orange tint. I'm very happy with the results. Good luck with your choice.

2019-San-Marino-Motor-Classic Sports Car Digest.jpg

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Porsche Guards Red is a great red IMHO; pure, bright red without much orange. Clearly not original. I had my 67 GTV painted GR a few decades ago. It really looked great, and didn't jump out (at least to me) as glaringly non-original. I also really like the red on my 2013 VW golf (I can't remember the name, but it's not Salsa Red), again a pure red without much orange or purple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This 1972 is painted in AR514, its original color. The level of ’orangeness’ also depends on the sunlight. Here it looks rather red.

But also strong sunlight the orangeness comes through, also compared to the Countach.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not to be a contrarian, but why red? Its such a common color for sports cars. I know everyone follows their own aesthetic, and I appreciate that, but there are so many other interesting colors one could choose.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There is something to be said for paint chemistry here.

Mixing modern paint to ancient codes will give random results. Paint chemistry has changed enormously over recent years, and this alters the final results. If you want an exact match for an original color, you will have to get an original sample scanned by a paint professional, or obtain a recipe from someone who had it done recently.

Otherwise, find a red from a modern car you like and stick to it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stripped all the paint off my 78 spider to bare metal, very surprised that no bonding, with exception of small mose repair and where I stitched in lower front and rear quarter panel.
All new rockers, etc.
Question, I want to paint the car red, but confused on all the red options,
Considering Alfa Rosso 501
I want it that perfect red,
Does anyone have input
Thanks
Shop needs to know final color I. A couple of days

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the great response, I am going with Alfa Rosso 501,
They hope to spray it on Monday, I will post some photos then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts