Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so im tired of my car being slow, and having to get the fuel injection worked on on the time. i am soon going to rebuild the motor, and i want to know if i should build it up to spec, or mod it out, and make it badass. i heard from someone that buying performance parts might even be cheaper than trying to fix up my current parts, or even trying to find originals in good condt. anyone else think that?http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=31#
Confused just let me know, thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
While the 81 is the Monofarfalle system, you may still want to stay with the spica system, and have Wes Ingram build you a hotter pump from the original. There are a lot of Spica Gurus (Gurae?) here, especially Roadtrip. They may be able to ive you a better.

Regardless, good luck

Mo in NJ
Spider in Parts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Unfortunately, you have a bastard child there with an 81 Monofarfalla system. The other bad thing is it's got just about every crummy, stop-gap emissions control device known to man on the engine.

Before you do anything, you should consider the emissions laws in your state. If you put carbs on the engine, I guarantee it'll fail. You're fuel mileage will go up a little too.

Assuming that emssions regs aren't a problem, and you want more performance out of the engine, then a switch to carbs might make sense. At the same time you fit carbs, I'd remove all the emisisons equipment and install Eurocams in place of the '81 cams.

It's not a simple as just throwing on a set of carbs. You need to consider how those carbs are going to interact with the rest of the engine and catalytic converter. Carb sets new are very expensive and getting the bits and pieces of throttle linkages, etc can be difficult. Unless the body of your car is in really pristine shape, you might consider selling this one and buying another year car closer to the configuration that you want.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am in the process of switching my 81 to carbs. I was able to get a Euro manifold and carb pedal assembly. For the carbs, I went with the Dellorto's which I bought off Ebay. You can find lots of used Webers and Dellortos there. If you have more money, you can still get new Webers. From what I read, there is not a huge difference between the carbs. Dellortos are a little harder to find parts than the Webers. However there are a couple of sources out there.

I am not too far along yet. The Monofarfalla was not the easiest to get off, but not too bad. I still have to get the Spica pump off. I am trying to be very carefull with the parts as they may be needed in the future. I have decided while everything is off, to paint the engine compartment.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My first Alfa was an '81 Spider, and I put Webers on it (with the old Shankle Kit with Webers). I have some observations based on my experiences with that car.

1) I liked the performance MUCH more with the carbs than with the Spica. The '81 Spica just doesn't work like the older Spica cars. Also, the noises are much prettier.

2) I'd do a set up like Duck's...that is, get the old carb manifold and support plate/arm, not the conversion kits that use the Spica manifold with the adaptors and no support arm. You'll also need to restrict the feul pump pressure unless you retrofit an older style feul pump.

3) I would replace the cams as Roadtrip suggested, as I never could get the car to stop a little stumble at about 1500 rpm, not matter how I played with the timing and feul unless I changed the jets and dialed it in so rich at idle that it almost fouled the plugs. I always assumed the stock cams just didn't work as well with the carbs.

4) Make sure you take off all of the emissions stuff, and I would also think about getting rid of the old exhaust manifold. I just took off the air pump and plugged the holes in the '81 exhaust manifold, but the car never felt like it was breathing well on the exhaust side (that may have just been paranoia on my part). Also, you'll have to get rid of the catalytic converter (of course).

Good luck.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Another thought would be to bin the single throttleplate manifold and install an earlier four throat Spica manifold.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can't remember, although I seem to remember being told that it would foul out almost immediately if you didn't. There may be a replacement catalytic converter that could accomodate the carbs, I just don't know. I did not have to have the car emissions tested back then, so I wanted to take it off anyway. Sorry I can't be of more assistance there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
cat converters

My 79 was converted from Spica to carbs by the previous owner. He also put an aftermarket high flow cat converter on and said it would pass MD emissions. I am in SC and pulled the cat converter off when I do "track days "and I really don't see much difference other than the noise.

Kevin A

·
Registered
142 Posts
The PO of my 81 spider put on Dell'ortos, I've had no problems other than getting them in sync when I brought her home. Luckily I'm in a non-E-check county here in Ohio, so the cat was one of the first things to go. Now she's using headers and an Ansa exhaust. Even more luck was that it looks like some one other than the PO's usual shop installed the conversion to carbs. OH... the stories I could tell you when we pulled the engine and looked inside.... ( I still have nightmares!!!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to get some input. Seems that people with 80-81 monofarfallas are wanting to put on Webbers. I was wondering why no one talks about upgrading to bosch from an 82 or 83? Wouldn't that be better for CA emissions rather than carburetors? The reason I ask is that I have an '80 with the monofarfalla. I'm trying to get it ready for the CA smog test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts