Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm most likely driving my '91 164S. I don't want to tow the sedan back that far.:eek: I was almost considering using a tow dolly or flat towing but I think it would be too much gas.

Paul

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate you!!:rolleyes:

Nice...

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Black 164S and a Chrysler Mini-Van!!;)

Bring the Sedan Paul, my sister lives up there, we can store it in her garage if needed, but have faith...that car drove cross-country once before without incident and it was in faaaaar worse condition back then!!

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
Well, we don't have an enclosed trailer, so the red Spider has to brave the elements while we drive the big Aluminum box. Dymo marker label on the dashboard of a previous motorhome "I am not an Alfa Romeo".

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
We'll definitely be taking the '84 Spider, and I also think it's best to tow.... :D

Pentax 525 (edited).jpg

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
What Are You Planning on Driving to the National Convention in Chicago?

This is probably a bigger gas guzzler than anything posted....

Sorry, I couldn't pass up letting you know that some of us don't drive to conventions. In the many conventions I've been to over the years, we drove to 3: 1982, 1991, 2002. This was our preferred mode of transportation, not necessarily, the airline I'm flying this year that is pictured -- have to use that free ticket before it expires; we'll hope the pilots decide to fly this year or they don't find a Detroit overpass obstructing their path. Life is a new risk every day; I will never forget coming home from one convention to learn that the couple that had flown in, in their private plane, crashed en route home and were both killed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Kathleen and I will be either driving Trogdor (88 Verde Abnormale) or Desideria (82 Spider). We'll have to wait and see which one feels like taking us as we get closer to June.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
plane - not sure if i want to take the long drive in my spider from NY.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
plane - not sure if i want to take the long drive in my spider from NY.
Plenty of NY/NJ people are driving out... Also, at different speeds... some nice and slow, some a little faster... :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry, I couldn't pass up letting you know that some of us don't drive to conventions.
Oh,come on...:eek:

It's 3 hours 49 min. in a Ford or Chevy!! In an Alfa it will be half that time:D.
I hope that we can meet up at some point. You are an inspiration to many of us in the Alfa world. The first Alfa I bought came with one of Pat's books in it. It really made the scariness go away. It made me realize that the Alfa brand is just like any other car except they have soul.

Here is a link to a map if you need it:p

from: Dexter, MI, United States of America to: chicago, Il - Google Maps

Paul

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
What Are You Planning on Driving to the National Convention in Chicago??

Oh,come on...:eek:

It's 3 hours 49 min. in a Ford or Chevy!! In an Alfa it will be half that time:D.
I hope that we can meet up at some point. You are an inspiration to many of us in the Alfa world. The first Alfa I bought came with one of Pat's books in it. It really made the scariness go away. It made me realize that the Alfa brand is just like any other car except they have soul.

Here is a link to a map if you need it:p

from: Dexter, MI, United States of America to: chicago, Il - Google Maps

Paul
Your post has made my day!!! I'm certainly glad that I inspire something in some that is not defined as "hostility" and/or "animosity." I will be at the convention, I'm sure someone can point out the lady that doesn't wear name tags for you.

Thank you for the map, actually, I've made that drive several times with Pat and could probably make it on my own. I would consider flying into Michigan and driving up with some one that needed or wanted a passenger, otherwise, I will stop in Detroit and continue on to O'Hare.

For me it's a 3-day drive pressing it and a 4-day drive somewhat at leisure, which I would prefer not to make by myself. So that effectively adds 8 days, 4 days to each side of the convention.

As far as an Alfa cutting the time --- you've never driven with Pat, me, or a few other Alfisti that push the limits in an Alfa. It's an experience.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand "pushing the limits". When I first started dating my "good wife" (The one that didn't wreck perfectly good Milanos) She was going to school at Ohio State and living in Columbus,Oh. I could make the trip from Louisville,Ky to Columbus in records time in My '83 GTV-6. My record was 2 hours 28 minutes:rolleyes:. I hit 125mph several times. Needless to say she was pissed. I told her it was love pushing me.;)

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would consider flying into Michigan and driving up with some one that needed or wanted a passenger, otherwise, I will stop in Detroit and continue on to O'Hare.
We can pick you up on the way......but I'm afraid our Alfa-grilled mini-van will be full of my kids watching DVD's and bugging each other. That's why we will bring the 164, so we (adults) can enjoy the drive in shifts!! Besides, we will probably have the in-laws with us, but there is always room for one more!:D

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
The 164Q for sure, and Maybe a Duetto!

We will definately be bringing the 164Q. If the Duetto is ready to drive and SWMBO agrees, we will also bring the running Duetto, although it certainly will not be concours quality.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
What Are You Planning on Driving to the National Convention in Chicago??

We can pick you up on the way......but I'm afraid our Alfa-grilled mini-van will be full of my kids watching DVD's and bugging each other. That's why we will bring the 164, so we (adults) can enjoy the drive in shifts!! Besides, we will probably have the in-laws with us, but there is always room for one more!:D

Mark,

Is the implication that I need a striped shirt and a whistle? ;)

If you're serious, I'll send you a PM once I know my flight itinerary possibilities. Second thought, it will have to be an e-mail, my PMs are locked and have been for some time. Were you planning on being in Michigan on Tuesday, to make it into Chicago Tuesday evening....is the Detroit Airport on your route from Kentucky?

Btw, I much prefer the comfort of a 164 to a Milano. I don't recall your kids being old enough to drive, did I miss one? Or are mom and dad taking a vacation and letting some other adult deal with the DVD dilemma or is that the shifting from mini-van to 164?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Boy, you sure are up late there, Jason!

Yes, there is a lot of countryside and many peasants in need of burnination between here and Chicago!:D

Compy 386!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I'll make the trip in my '69 Spider. If something goes wrong, my backup will be the '95 164LS.

Regards,
Bob A.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
If I can schedule the trip and If I can afford it and If SWMBO gives me permission and If the Alfa is out of the shop by then and ready for the road and If my Chicago relatives can be reached and If the-creek-dont-rise, I will be driving Sophia, my '78 Spider.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts