Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes C43, 2003 SL 500, 2000 BMW 540/6 , !981 Alfa Spider
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok don't know if it's my advancing age, but I don't recall what these items are. They're located in the engine bay on the passenger (right) side near the top of the wheel arch.
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Bumper Motor vehicle Audio equipment
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Looks aftermarket based on the photos

·
Registered
590 Posts
Relays, chase the wires to find out what they are/were powering, probably headlights, a worthwhile mod but those look like they have been there for a long time

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
to me it looks original alfa stuff, with some chopped about wiring.
the thing on the left with the blue and the black wire is a vacuum switch (should be a small vacuum hose attached. Might be blocked off if the original Marelli ignition has been changed for something else)...and that triggers one of those relays which will likely be the advance ignition relay.
I think it switched from one set of points to t'other (in a dual points set up)

the other relay might be a cold start relay of sorts?...this looks like a CA smog monofarfalla spider (80/81), going by the yellow sticker.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Relays, chase the wires to find out what they are/were powering, probably headlights, a worthwhile mod but those look like they have been there for a long time
THat is what I was thinking might be the function but not sure. Those relays look like antiques

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes C43, 2003 SL 500, 2000 BMW 540/6 , !981 Alfa Spider
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several involved wires disconnected, which is why I was asking. A few of the wires shown are unrelated (I'm adding starter relay). Yes, originally monofarfalla, but converted to multi throttle-body setup. Yes, car is 1981, so most of the parts are over 40 years old!

spiderseries4--You bring up some good and interesting info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts