Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 164 3.0 motor with a stock motronic system going into my 67 stepnose. The motor has 10:1 pistons, RJR cams and ported heads.

Knowing nothing about a stock system - is it tunable? Re-flash, re program etc.?

Is there a dyno person experienced with the system who has tuning skills in the greater Southern California area?

Thanks in advance

Neil
63 Giulia Spider
67 Sprint GT
78 Sedan

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 12 valve

·
Premium Member
13,081 Posts
Al Mitchel - Reale on ABB can most likely help you with a Megasquirt conversion if you decide to go that route. Al has his own dyno and he has done enough Megasquirts that he can do a plug and play unit that will be good for your setup. There was a thread about a year ago where he reported a 30 HP gain just by replacing L-jet with Megasquirt.

I will be putting Richard's cams in my 164 motor and I will have Al do a MS box for me at the same time.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

I was really asking if the stock system was tunable.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, the 12v Motronic ECU is easy to re-map.
Options range from purchasing an off-the-shelf chip from Squadra, to fitting a real-time programmable module to the ECU so you can tune while the car is driving.
Basic datalogging is also possible with these ECUs, which really assists tuning.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So, Festy,

Do you have any recommendations or sources for the real-time modules? I'd be interested in learning more about how to program a motronic unit.

David

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Hey Neil,

I have a fair amount of experience tuning cars with stand alone ECU's. I am looking to dive into the world of EPROM tuning...if anything comes of it I will let you know!

·
Registered
520 Posts
So, Festy,

Do you have any recommendations or sources for the real-time modules? I'd be interested in learning more about how to program a motronic unit.
I make the real-time conversion kit - it involves replacing the ECU's EPROM with a special module, and uses modified ECU firmware to allow on-the-fly changes to be uploaded.
Using the Tuner Pro RT program in conjunction with a software plug-in I've written, you can download and upload maps etc from the ECU's diagnostics port with a laptop.

The same system is used for datalogging, sensor interrogation and fault reading/clearing.

Another option for programming the Motronics is the old fashioned chip swapping.
All you need is a $50 eprom burner, a couple of flash chips, and the Tuner Pro program.
InstiTS put together a couple of "getting started" videos to demonstrate this method, see

And a quick demo of real-time re-mapping the ignition timing.
(The ECU is hooked up to an engine simulator here)

The 164 12v ECU is essentially the same as the 75/164 twinspark ECU (and all other ML4.1 ECUs), so if you want to know anything specific about these systems there's a good chance it's been mentioned in this thread already.
But the 164 24v ECU is a very different animal, I haven't got a real-time system ready for them yet but once I get my hands on one of these ECUs it shouldn't take me long... they're just a bit rare (and expensive) here in australia :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts