Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I wonder if this has been talked about here before, but if so, I wasn't able to find it.
We have just bought a first Series Giulietta Sprint project and will start a full restoration later this spring. So far, we have gained a lot of experience with older Alfas, mainly 1900s and 6C 2500, so this will be our first "mass production" Alfa. What are the 'must have' books with the best historic pictures and details that we could use as a guideline to avoid mistakes during restoration? Is there a book that covers all differences between the cars and all areas in detail and with reference to factory and press pictures? Which supplier sets the standard for the interior trim materials, wiring loom a.s.o.? The original colour seems to have been banana beige (still awaiting heritage certificate). Has someone matched up this colour with modern paint yet?

Thank you for your contributions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

I wonder if this has been talked about here before, but if so, I wasn't able to find it.
We have just bought a first Series Giulietta Sprint project and will start a full restoration later this spring. So far, we have gained a lot of experience with older Alfas, mainly 1900s and 6C 2500, so this will be our first "mass production" Alfa. What are the 'must have' books with the best historic pictures and details that we could use as a guideline to avoid mistakes during restoration? Is there a book that covers all differences between the cars and all areas in detail and with reference to factory and press pictures? Which supplier sets the standard for the interior trim materials, wiring loom a.s.o.? The original colour seems to have been banana beige (still awaiting heritage certificate). Has someone matched up this colour with modern paint yet?

Thank you for your contributions.
Hallo,

I am restoring my Giulietta Sprint 1957 and from my point of view the 2 books that gave to me a documented overview of the model Giulietta Sprint first series are the following:

1. Alfa Romeo Giulietta 50° Anniversario: written by Angelo Tito Anselmi - edition GIORGIO NADA (I think also english version)
  2. Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint: written by Giancarlo Catarsi - edition GIORGIO NADA (I think only Italian version)

You can buy them directly from webside of the editor Giorgio Nada:

Answer to all you question (covers all differences between the cars and all areas in detail and with reference to factory and press pictures) I think it is not easy. I have been working to write specific book on Giulietta Sprint 750 B and 750 E up to AR 06611 serial number since 2019, but is an hard work and I think it needs almost 2 year more of work to finish........

What I could suggest you is communicate the serial number of the car (I guess it is 1957) and your specific questions to this community and with my opinions and with the help of the community you could reach a precise results. There a lot of people, starting from Greig, that knows a lot about this model.

One supplier for the interior trim materials is ELVEZIO. I have not bought from him because I am working on the body panel but I know it is a good supplier for the Alfa Romeo interior. this is his website:

for the wiring loom you could contact ALFA BERGIA; this is his website:

www.alfabergia.com/

Banana beige is AR 801 code, I have Grigio Chairissimo AR 706 code and I found easly it directly to my paint supplier giving to him the code (AR 706), the car company (Alfa Romeo) and the year (1957).

Regards
Massimo

Attachments

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
I agree that the color code for Banana Beige is AR-801, which seems to be available from Glasurit in their paint line 22, as per coloronline.glasurit.com (which is a bit difficult to navigate).

·
Administrator
4,076 Posts
Alfred, there's no "one" book, rather multiple books all contribute to learning as much as we can about these cars

Post your chassis number, I have a large archive and I'll willingly share what I have on cars close to your number - I have 1493*05262; 05823; 05880 & E06193

Beige Banana was one of those short lived colours that was around for a while and then gone, it's not on any of the colour charts I have excepting the '55 Catalogue

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so far. The car is still with the previous owner, so I did not have the opportunity to go through al the details. I will let you know as soon as it is here (about three weeks from now). The VIN is AR01493.04953, so it should be a production date about July-August 1957. I have ordered a heritage certificate, but it hasn't arived yet. The presumed original colour banana beige was found in hidden spots like under the dashboard. I hope that this is the original colour, because I like it very much. In the end, everything except red would be good...
Let me follow your advice and get the books you have mentioned, and as soon as the car is here, we can get started. I just hope it won't take us too long since we have so many other projects going on which are a lot more complicated. I think we will start by water-blasting the stripped shell, and then we see what's underneath...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And thank you, Tubut, for the link to the Glasurit page. And also to all the others for their useful links and mentions.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
A great reference is Fantasy Junction.....look under Sold cars They photograph cars well inside and out (and under) and they have sold their fair share of Sprints.

Stuart

·
Administrator
4,076 Posts
For what it's worth in the time line, my 05262 which is 309 cars after yours was a 29 August '57. Bertone was building +-200 per month in '57 so a rough guess says mid July '57 build for 04953

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the reference date. Well, I will see as soon as the heritage certificate arrives. Basically, it doesn't matter much as long as it is within 1957. I just hope that it had a charming original colour. I love these 50ies pastel colours, so I would be quite happy with banana beige. A pastel light green would be even better. I have ordered the Anselmi book two days ago, and I hope it will be as good as the 6C 2500 book I have from him. I am really interested in factory or press pictures, not so much in pictures of other restorations. My goal is to restore this car in exactly the fashion as it looked when it was new. The car comes with a spare second engine, which is a Veloce engine. So, if somebody needs it, I might sell this spare engine on. But let me first see what we have and what is missing. I am trying to collect it within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Alfred, literature on the Giulietta Sprints is quite limited, in addition to the books mentioned by Massimo you might look for “Giulietta Sprint“ by Bruno Alfieri with text in Italian, French and English. I have all three and although most of the information overlaps , each has some info the other doesn’t.
Nick.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,it looks like I will have to buy just about everything that is out there...;-). When I started this thread I thought there might be something like the definite book, some kind of catalogue raisonee, like on early Ferraris. I am used to put information together, because usually we are working on cars where there is no substantial information at all. I was hoping that on this relatively new car, there would be a gold standard literature. But ok then, business as usual, gather information, compare, make friends, discuss and the usual 100s of hours to get to the core. The only good thing is that we are not short of money, so we can afford to do research. The downside is that the restoration will cost more that what is in line with the market. But we will drive and enjoy it in the end...

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Beige Banana was one of those short lived colours that was around for a while and then gone, it's not on any of the colour charts I have excepting the '55 Catalogue
Greig, FYI, these are paint swatches that Nick Bellomo scanned and sent us via email in 2016 (ne noted that the colors are not very accurate). Beige Banana is the swatch at the bottom right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Tubut. I saw this already in another thread. Basically, I like all these charming 50ies colours. This is why I hope that the Alfa Heritage Certificate will confirm that the original colour was banana beige. It is a strange colour, but I like it. As far as I have read it was usually combined with a grey/blue interior. Were the carpets usually in the darker shade of the two colours? So, in our case blue? Blue against a yellowish beige is a bit odd anyway, but as long as it gives a friendly overall appearance, I am happy with it. It think we should let this thread rest until I get the official specification from the factory. Then we can get started. Just in case somebody wants to see what goes on. If this is of any interest, I am happy to show the progress. There might be some points coming up where we would be happy to get help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts