Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What Are My Exhaust Needs?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  AaronsSpider 
#1 ·
Hope everyone is having a great evening. I have been thinking about the next project to do with the spider, I want to do some hot cams and weld in a wide band O2. But first, I need an exhaust system to work with before I get an O2 welded in.
My current exhaust is rather, uh, original or close to it. I believe the front section has a leak or two in it. It appears and in my opinion sounds like it has seen better days.

I want to get more performance out of my engine but Im not looking to be the very best or anything like that, Im not even pulling the head at this time. I just want the wideband O2 so I can tune and jet the Webers properly when I change out the cams really.
The current exhaust is stock, 2 piece 74' style manifold, and I believe a stinger tail pipe (i will post a photo, I did not put this on the car but it sure looks like a stinger). Ive seen the 2.25" SS system mentioned here by others as being a little better flowing than stock, but stock does not seem to frowned upon when it comes to performance.

As far as keeping the sound of the exhaust from becoming 16 and Civic , but still aggressive when I put my foot in it while opening up the door for performance gains
Would the 2.25" centerline SS exhaust, complete stock (new)+stinger, or something else entirely be the best option?
I want to keep the door open for the day I do have to open the bottom end of the engine and put in high compression pistons and have some head work done, but not sound like a boy racer with a straight piped Civic.

Help is appreciated!

See less See more
#4 ·
I used an Abarth front section, Centerline's magnaflow center muffler and a stinger and my GTV sounds great.
Civilized and not too loud while driving but it comes to life when you put your foot in it.
It has great build up as the revs climb but it isn't obnoxiously loud.
Quite a few Alfa owners have replaced the rear muffler with a straight pipe and been happy with that.
My car is away at my mechanic's shop so I can't post a clip of the sound. Sorry.
Good luck with your project!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.