Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealt with the no start issue (loose solenoid wire it seems...time will tell). Found lots of slick oil covering just about everything on the front part of the motor and figure I had better deal with it before something gets damaged (alternator had a nice coating all over). The P.O. had the car oil sprayed but this looks like engine oil and general road crud. Which of the seals and gaskets are most prone to leak on this car (95-164 3.0)? I would rather not mess with something that is not leaking as that can cause more headaches.

Regards
Peter/Beeton

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I've never owned a 24V car, but on the 12V, here's a few:
Gasket on oil fill cap
Rubber O rings on Dip Stick
Seals on spark plug tubes
Valve cover gaskets
Cam seals on timing belt end

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
if there;s oil on the alternator

Oil blows down and back from leak. Theres nothing in front of the alternator that has oil but the cam cover and half-moon seals above it ; common place for oil leaks due to someone overtightening the 6 ft/lb cap screws there and stripping the head threads. Good news in the front tho -- easy to R/R and helicoil those.

Are you sure its fresh oil and not the basic grime that accumulates over time?

Oil leaks on 24 V are common, here are my top places
Oil cooler lines and connections
O ring between Oil filter housing and block (real pain to replace)
Oil filters (sometimes they just don't seat well Im not sure why)
Cam Covers
Cam seals
Front Seal at crank pulley

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
On 24v engine oil pressure gauge sender is on rear corner of front head above exhaust manifold so check for leak there. Oil fill cap ois near there, too.

Check around oil dip stick tube attach point securing nut and oil level sender in front L/H side of engine under L/H exhaust manifold below alternator area.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Is it possible there is too much crankcase pressure building up due to some vent being clogged, such as the oil vapor recovery canister and/or hoses? Blowby has to vent somewhere.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Is it possible there is too much crankcase pressure building up due to some vent being clogged, such as the oil vapor recovery canister and/or hoses? Blowby has to vent somewhere.
Yep good point.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re oil leaks

Thanks all for your suggestions.
First up is a carefull cleaning and then I will run and have a close look.

Regards

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Del's suggestion is a good one. Don't the 95 cars run some kind of PCV system? Haven't there been issues with it?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oil leaks, pvc, etc

I believe there is a pvc system at play and when I cleaned outt the air filter housing, I fould lots of oil coating the air box intake, mass intake and other areas. Cleaned out the entire system from the air intake to throttle body.
Let's see how that goes after a few hours of running.

P.B.

However, from looking at where the oil seems to be collecting, I don't think the oil I see is due to blow-by but from a leak in the front engine area, likley the oil filer area or perhaps under the cover (no oil at the rear or dripping onto the exhaust manifold). Trying to determine which gaskets go where as my schematis is not too detailed. When cleaning my plugs, I dd not find any unusual oil build-up around the bases so I don't believe those gaskets are an issue but perhaps the "timing system cover" gasket is leaking (that's what the 91-93 repair manual calls it). Will let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Oil filter on rear back of engine but oil cooler is hanging on right side of radiator on 24v and oil cooler hoses go under engine to get to oil cooler.

Oil vapor cannistor hangs on back of intake plenum and its drain hose goes to port on rear head and that port and hose is what gets clogged sometimes.

Some oil in corragated intake hose pretty normal on 164 12v and 24v engines though.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Oil on Alternator

If its fresh motor oil most likely cam cover gasket / half moon seals. Easy to fix.

Best thing to do is clean everything real good, and get a UV dye kit (60 bucks at Amazon). You will easily see where the leak is coming from.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
"Some oil in corragated intake hose pretty normal on 164 12v and 24v engines though. "

Esp if the canister is clogged, which does happen with these cars. The one on my 91S was totally clogged, and took a lot of washing with solvent to get the crud out. bought another new one so that I could trade back and forth, cleaning the one off the car.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Del meant separator I think

the oil vapor separator on the back of the head on 24V car. It can get clogged ; mostly has to do with the degree of moisture in the air and whether the car is driven to get hot enough to evap all the moisture out or not. For cars that are driven 3 -4 miles then put away its not uncommon to have the sludge built up in the OVS way more so than cars that get to full operating temp on their daily drives

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Ahhh, ok. I was under the mistaken impression that the 1995 24V casr didn't have an oil separator canister, that it was replaced by the PVC system. Thanks for the correction.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
"the oil vapor separator on the back of the head on 24V car"

Yup, that's what I meant.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
just say "all of them" and be done. Mines a different animal but the OVS pipes and the oil drain plug gasket require my inspection from time to time. ciao jc

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re oil leaks and also, I need one of "these".

Had a good look. Car had been sitting over the winter and I found the steering fluid and brake fluid quite low. Mind you, no puddles under the car. I do recall tightening the steering fluid line at the reservoir prior to parking it for the season (not really my choice as the starter started to non-start).
I have attached some images. I believe the oil is leaking from the oil cap area and also left side of the front plug cover. Pix xxx360, xxx361
Also, part of the timing belt housing cover is missing (previous owner... I found part of the cover imn the trunk). Does anyone have an extra? see image xxx359. Let me know how many $$$$ and I would be willing trade some 164 headlight rubbers (the ones that cover the top) or a 164 airbag module (untested...). We each cover the shipping cost for respective "purchases".

Attachments

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Oil cap has a rubber gasket that leaks. I've seen the gasket before at Alfa US Inc, or make one. The oil dip stick is sealed with 2 O rings that are easily replaced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts