Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I pulled all of the pistons out of the old 164S engine block today and was wondering if they are still good. Of course, the one with the hole in it is not, but what about the other 5? All I can see is some carbon caked on the top from years of use. The rings probably need to be replaced as well, but what about the piston? Is that still useable? I was thinking of listing it on ebay or selling it on here to help fund the rest of my project as I'm really broke right now.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Limited experience

My limited experience is that pistons rarely go bad unless there is a physical strike or a bad bearing on the bottom end. There is no metal to metal contact on the pistons themselves--- bearings on the bottom and rings on the sides. HOWEVER-- I did have one that fractured at the bottom knuckle way back in the day. 351 cleveland in my old xr-7. WOW that car could get going!

If it were me, I prob would not replace the pistons,. I just don;t see the value there. You can clean em up (but if you clean the top, your compression numbers will go down marginally), put new rings in, check the crank sides (replace the bearings if you pull em apart) and away you go---

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
What are you doing rebuilding your old engine or rebuilding another one? I just recently replaced one bad liner and rings in a L engine but reused the piston and it ran in fine in my test cell.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Be sure to measure the gap between the ring and the groove it fits into on the piston, this rarely goes out of spec, but it is one area that does wear a little. Any minor scores can be taken out with some emery cloth. If you got the cash go with a fresh set and fresh liners, if not, reuse them and I am sure they will be fine.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, I am not reusing the old block. I already have the new block rebuilt. What I'm doing now is parting out the old block and trying sell the useable parts.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
They are worthless, just send them to me and I will dispose of them. ;)
Charles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts