Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there retrofitted their Spider with a rollbar? I would love to hear your stories and rocommendations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The problem I have seen with roll bars in spiders,
including the one I used to have is that they tend
to be to low. In other words, the driver/passenger
heads are usually slightly taller than the roll
bar!! So they offer absolutley no protection.

Make sure the bar you are considering will at
least be taller than you(seated in the car),
and that you can still close your soft top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are good considerations! I hate it when you think you've got a solution and it turns out to be an inch too tall.....:)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Giulia Roll Cage

This is my Race Spider.......

Eliseo

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Elisio,

Very nice racer!! But might be kinda hard to get
the soft top up with that rollbar:D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Soft Top?

Hey Keven,

Did not know you still wanted to fit the top. In this case I would recomend you to put the seats as low as posible, try aftermarket seats. This would be the only way to be able to have the top on and still have the roll bar be over your helmet. I have still not seen a Spider with a soft top and a GOOD roll bar. All of the ones I have seen are not tall enough to guarante in some way a safe "enviroment" for an accident.

Good luck,

Eliseo

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
giulia spider

eliseo,
i see a vara checkered flag in the ****pit of the spider in the picture above. how many d production races did you and/or rex win with vara? that is very impressive for an alfa to win a d production race, it's one of the toughest classes in vara. www.vararacing.com

p.s. your car keeps looking better better in each different picture i see in it. you need to bring that thing up here and race it a little to show everyone what a really really fast giulia spider can do!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,407 Posts
Yes, that car is simply amazing.

I got to look it over in Rex's shop in Wisconsin ( it was there for a "freshening up" ) this winter and I am in love!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Spider Wins!

That I know of, the Alfa-Porsche Challenge in 1997.

After that the car was bought from Rex and raced in Mexico. In 2000 I sold the GTV I had also built by Rex and got the Spider.

Since I have had the Spider I was put in a class I just could not even finish in the first three, I ran against 911's with up to 3.6 lt engines, 914's, BRE Datsuns with 2.4 lt engines, and a couple of Mustangs.... Just not enought HP's to get them in a 2.0 lt Alfa engine.

This year, I was sent back to my class and won the pole and race of our first event. I hope to be as competitive as I was on the first race. I'll keep you posted.

I would LOVE to take it to the US and race again, I would really liek to race in the 2.5 Challenge, but it is not accepted....

JoeCab; Interested in buying it? [email protected]

Regards,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,407 Posts
Sorry Eliseo, no money for race cars right now. It is tempting though...

Here's a picture Rex sent me of the car in the LA Grand Prix.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Great looking Spider Eliseo! Love that LAGP picture with the One Way sign. But something wasn't right about it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
HATERS!

That's not the orginal picture. The orginal picture is posted below.

I mean sorry I got first, but they did't have to cut me out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Re: HATERS!

Sniady said:
That's not the orginal picture. The orginal picture is posted below.

I mean sorry I got first, but they did't have to cut me out!
sniady,
you wish! however, it would not surprise me if it was true.....that race took place on the streets of l.a.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Spiders and rollbars is something that has kept my up late at night thinking about. I own two spides one with a fullcage it's a racecar thats unfinished, the other spider is my time trial car. This car has a boltin autopower rollbar. The problem with this bar is, while it is safe for the track you can't raise and lower the top. When you put one of these in the car it becomes hard to have a dual purpose car. My car quickly became a track only car. These cars lead hard lives and get bet up quick: high revs, tight turns, hard braking, water, dirt, desert sun, flying pebbles, rubber, Lotus, but that is an other story. The other problem with spiders is they flex. To be the equal of a gtv one needs a full cage or alot of cross braces. On the other hand the street rollbars, unless you are really short, are to low for track use. My advice is if you want a cool street spider get the street bar. If you want a dual purpose car get a GTV. If you want a track car go ahead and do the spider with the fullcage you'll want the fullcage soon or later. Or better yet do a GTV with the fullcage and let me be the crazy spider guy.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Dreams

You all keep on dreaming......... JEJE!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a rollbar installed on my 89 spider and I'm really happy with it. I ordered it from an alfa catalogue they had at my local alfa mechanic and had them put it on. It looks really sporty and cool in my opinion but there are some problems with it...One is, as someone mentioned above, you can't be very tall for it do any good. Another is that it cuts off a lot of the visability from your rear-view mirror. However, I'm pretty short and I've learned to rely on my side-views, so the good far outwieghs the bad. Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts