Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about the feelings ya'll have about the type of mirrors that work on a '78 spider. I have the factory rectangular black mirrors with the funky expandable elbow, which are torn and ragged, the glass is foggy and they are in need of repacement.
Thinking about going to chrome round or trapazoid shape.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I never thought there was a "correct" mirror for a particular Alfa. I have seen so many variations, I just thought that Alfa (or the origial dealer) chose mirrors on a whim.

My GTV had a Talbot racing mirror mounted way out on the fender. I bought a pair of the round mirrors pictured and sold the Talbot on eBay for a hundred bones (!).

My other '67 GTV had a trapezoidal Vitaloni mirror (pictured) with three mounting screws. That mirror was most commonly installed on Fiats.

Other Alfas, especially post 1974 Spiders, commonly have the Vitaloni "Baby Tornado" mirrors originally mentioned in this thread by Bill.

So IMO there is no "correct" mirror for your Alfa. But rather which mirror strikes your fancy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
As I mentioned, I prefer the round Alfa mirrors. I installed one on my driver's door and plan to install another on the passenger side. This brings up another point. Most older Alfas did not come with a passenger side mirror, while most post 1970 Spiders did. I have seen some older Alfas in publications that did not have side mirrors at all, while others had both.

Perhaps side mirror installation was like the previously discussed location of the antenna. It was suggested that the original dealer installed the antennas because Alfas did not come from the factory with radios installed.

Back to the round repro mirrors (pictured) that we discussed. The best prices I found on these come from eBay seller 116_veloce in Israel. Uri's prices are great and shipping is extremely reasonable. His current auctions can be viewed at http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=116_veloce .

Lastly, does anyone know where I could buy one rubber gasket for these round mirrors? I seem to have misplaced mine! :eek:

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
A trip thru the 105/115 parts books has, perhaps, further complicated the mirror issue.
The Giulia GT, GTV, GTA, Giulia TI, TI Super and the Giulia Super show no listing for sideview mirrors as supplied by Alfa. So I guess it was up to either the dealer or the owner to install what they wanted and where. Or to not install anything.
The only trapezoid shaped mirror I could find, 105.25.61.017.00, was fitted to the GTC.
Euro 1750 GTVs and Spiders and all Duetto 1600s got a round mirror with no Alfa emblem on the back. Part #105.03.61.017.00.
The 2l Euro GTV got it's own round mirror with emblem that carried #105.48.61.017.00.
The most popular mirror, in the US anyway, 105.64.61.017.00 (which is a Montreal # BTW), was fitted to US version 1750 & 2l GTVs and Spiders and the Euro 2l Spiders. It is also round and has an Alfa emblem on the back.
Since the parts books go only to 1974, I would have to guess that the trapezoid shaped mirrors were fitted no earlier than 1975 (except for the GTC).

Clear as mud?

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazing!!

PapaJam, et. all, you folks are amazing! The knowledge you have and your attention to detail is truly wonderous!
Thank you for the input. You have made my selection so much easier.
I assumed Alfa had a standard they followed when it came to the accessory details, because they had such a fine hand in the mechanicals.
I am going to pretend the car never had mirrors and start from scratch (racing Talbots on the front fenders is an intriguing idea).
I will add picts when I have finished the change.
Thanks again for your input. :cool:

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I bought the trapezoidal ones from Centerline, not correct for a '72 but I liked the shape of them. They look real nice but they stick out a bit and get bumped into by people in the parking lot. The black plastic spacer base was some cheesy material that broke after about a week so now they vibrate alot. I'll have to cut some rubber bases for them. The materials seem okay but the assembly wasn't too great. They were just RTV'ed together and fell apart pretty quickly in my hands. (RTV don't stick to chrome very well) I put them back together with JB-Weld.

Can't remember what I paid, they were probably pretty pricey considering...

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
To throw a little more mud on the subject... The trapeziodial mirrors that were fitted to Spiders after 1975 were different than the earlier ones fitted to GTC's. Here is what they looked like:

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread... sorry

I've been toying with an idea for a while... My wife's Spider is a 1990, Black in color, and the chrome trim really looks complimentary IMHO. It had dual power side mirrors but at some point in it's life (PO's) it lost the driver side mirror, being replaced with a similar looking (non-power) aftermarket unit. It looks fair, and the remaining original (passenger side) power mirror works but is starting to look pretty beat up (pitted). I've been shopping around for some chrome mirrors for my 240Z restoration and started to think how nice a set of chrome mirrors would look on the Alfa. Quite frankly, Alfa made some of the nicest chrome side mirrors around (even the Miata guys love em). My question is this: Will some of the nice chrome Spider mirrors out there ( http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2672 or the round ones featured here - http://www.centerlinealfa.com/products/images/pages/p34.pdf ) fit properly on a 1990? Without pulling off the old mirror, I'm concerned that as they are power mirrors, the holes might be rather large, too large for the older chrome mirrors. Anyone out there tried this? I'm not a bodyman, so filling in body holes is basically out for me.

·
Senior Moment
146 Posts
I replaced my broken Baby Tornadoes that were original to my Spider with a set of the chrome/stainless from IAP and those mounting holes were exactly the same between the two. The earlier round ones had less space between the holes and would have need filling.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts