Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 74 GTV had aftermarket AC at one point in the past (AZ car). I’m trying to take the engine bay back to the original NON-AC config by welding up non-stock holes and putting things back where they belong.

I’ve looked at restoration threads and FS pictures of 11 different 1974 USA spec GTV’s, and every one is different in the engine bay. I’ve searched and scrolled thru hundreds of posts here looking for 1974 Spica stock engine bay photos.

The one area which is most ambiguous for me relates to the area around the ignition coil and along the top of the passenger inner fender.

the photos show coils mounted in every possible orientation: vertically mounted with wire up and down, horizontal with HT lead pointing forward, etc.

Most have aftermarket coils, but a few still have the Magneti coil with heat sink. But even those have some horizontal and some vertically mounted.

What’s correct?

Here are pics of my passenger inner fender area.

I would appreciate comments on which holes are not original/correct.

Thanks
John
D62E6CB8-1B1E-4673-AA69-CCBC71AC8522.jpeg DD0E6CFE-0547-46F7-9A8B-9E230952D36E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
My 74 GTV had aftermarket AC at one point in the past (AZ car). I’m trying to take the engine bay back to original by welding up non stock holes and putting things back where they belong.

I’ve looked at restoration threads and FS pictures of 11 different 1974 USA spec GTV’s, and every one is different in the engine bay. I’ve searched and scrolled thru hundreds of posts here looking for 1974 Spica stock engine bay photos.

The one area which is most ambiguous for me relates to the area around the ignition coil and along the top of the passenger inner fender.

the photos show coils mounted in every possible orientation: vertically mounted with wire up and down, horizontal with HT lead pointing forward, etc.

Most have aftermarket coils, but a few still have the Magneti coil with heat sink. But even those have some horizontal and some vertically mounted.

What’s correct?

Here are pics of my passenger inner fender area.

I would appreciate comments on which holes are not original/correct.

Thanks
John
View attachment 1629225 View attachment 1629226
This '74 GTV recently went for auction on BaT and is a 25k mile original car, It's a great reference if you want to restore back or close to original. Your Marelli coil is not original.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Here's another original owner "74 with A/C. Keep in mind that the A/C equipped cars had a few extra electical components mounted on the coil area, and their installation was solely dependent upion the dealer or installer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ken, NICE car, but it looks like a factory AC car. Mine is a non-AC car. The Pics don’t clearly show mounted stuff on the right inner fender (obscured by Spica airbox).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The only thing mounted on towards the rear right inner fender is the coil and the bypass diode (which is wired to your cold start solenoid and coil). The coil mounting bracket needs two screw holes; the diode just one for a plastic nylon mounting strap. The single relay on your firewall is correct.

Note: My ‘73 has the diode; ‘74s may not have needed them; check your wiring diagram or see if you have one mounted somewhere near the coil. It’s cylindricsl about 1” in diameter and 1” tall w/ two wires terminated to it.

Refer to the attached photo showing how an original coil should be mounted, and the bypass diode to its left.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
That is good to know. I’ll start looking for the right one.
Although, its not original to the car, its an excellent upgrade to run electronic ignition. I have the same unit in my GTV, and haven't dealt with ignition issues or having the change points in 20 years. I would keep this set-up in your car. Its easy to swap this out if you plan on doing show competitions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts