Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok im going to be swaping out my transaxle on my 83 gtv6 fairly soon and figured its time to figure this out while im under there again...

anyway...under hard acceleration i get a WHACK WHACK WHACK at the rear of the car..sounds like its on the passenger side.....at first i figured it was nothing more than suspension hop/ wheel hop...at this point i figured id ask and see if anyone has some ideas of what i should look for and at :confused:

obviously when i get the transaxle out im going to eyeball around under the car and see if there are any signs of anything impacting anything......i do know that ALL of the rubber drive joints are new

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Yeah, when they are bad, the transaxle torques up and the driveshaft hits the tunnel wall. You'll see evidence of it. I've had the drive shaft middle support go and do the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this same problem on my 84 GTV-6 and it was the transaxle mounts as suggested in previous posts. My problem would occur on acceleration and abrupt braking.

Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont get it at all on brakeing ONLY hard accel

wich mount is most likely to cause it?.....i asume its a rubber unit that should be replaced with poly graphite if its availible....anyone got a part #?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
wich mount is most likely to cause it?
I don't think you will find much Poly for engine/tranny mounts. You want them to absorb vibrations, poly would transmit them.
That being said you want to replace ALL of the mounts, not just the bad one. Odds are if one is bad the rest are close behind.

·
Richard Jemison
7,191 Posts
Transaxle Mounts

On any hard driven 116 car the front two mounts should be drilled & through bolted. Covered in depth on eariler thread. But basically before you install the new ones drill through with a 5/16 or 8mm drill, insert 1/4 or 6mm through bolt with lock washers on each side. With a "nylock nut tighten until both lock washers are about 50% compressed. This prevents ratteling or vibrations being heard, and allows the bolt to move & self center as the rubber will not completely drill to the drill size. The correction is not noticible except when working, ie: under heavy acceleration or braking.
A very common update & makes shifting much more constant.;)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool thanx 7...im still picking up cool upgrade/fix tricks like this...ive not searched the board extensivly yet

grime party uhh no...i have no idea what condition my clutch is in or the unit comeing with my replacement transaxle or the unit in the milano..the plan is to have a spare re-built and sitting on the shelf ready to go at a moments notice

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had this same problem a few years back on my gtv6 - it happened only on accel.

My mechanic solved this for me so I don't remember the exact details, but he told me that there is a bumpstop that is attached to the underbody of the car above the transaxle and it was gone, had fallen out - hence under accel. load it was hitting the body.

At the time the part was no longer avail. I believe he modified a Milanos one to work. The hard thing is that if it fell out you don't have it to make a copy of and I don't know if the Milano one is still avail.

GV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts