Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 164L sat for a week in the wet weather, (see my other post on hard starting!) Opened trunk and ALOT of water ran out from under the trunk lid insulation near the back edge near the reflector bar. Also the license plate lights are full of water.

·
Premium Member
27,383 Posts
Does front edge of trunk stick up any?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Run a piece of paper between the rubber seals or smear some paint on the rubber seals and close the trunk. See where the marks are thinner/non-existent.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Run a piece of paper between the rubber seals or smear some paint on the rubber seals and close the trunk. See where the marks are thinner/non-existent.
the seals seem to be in place. The strange thing is that the rear reflector bar and license plate lights are outside the rubber seal and they are filling with water. No cracks that I can see. Gonna get a hose and see where its getting in.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I had a similar problem - carpet getting soaked - it turned out to be the seal behind the corner tail light - the foam gasket. The deteriorated state of this gasket is visible at the end of the lens (side of the car). I didn't believe that so much water was getting in there, but it pools on the flat top of the vertical rear panel. A small amount of water over a long time (it rains for days where I live) adds up to a soaking.

The solution was to make a new gasket from foam sheet. I made mine a bit thick and the light sits a little proud of the surface, but it works.

My guess is that the bootlid (trunk lid) light bar has a similar gasket sealing it against the lid.

-Alex

·
Registered
764 Posts
The solution was to make a new gasket from foam sheet. I made mine a bit thick and the light sits a little proud of the surface, but it works.
Hi Alex,

Where did you get your foam sheet? My tail light gaskets are also in poor condition and I need to replace them, but have struggled to find a proper material.

Thanks and cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi Alex,

Where did you get your foam sheet? My tail light gaskets are also in poor condition and I need to replace them, but have struggled to find a property material.

Thanks and cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas
I've had good results using bits of an old yoga mat for sealing stuff around the house (didn't need in in my car). The foam they're made of has a nice closed cell structure and is easy to work with. I like re-using old stuff.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hi Alex,

Where did you get your foam sheet? My tail light gaskets are also in poor condition and I need to replace them, but have struggled to find a Texas
Hi Jeff,
Sorry I don't actually know - and even if I said 'Para Rubber' that would be no help to you as you won't have that shop! I collect foam materials from packaging, I find them useful in car interiors/door trim work.

'Para Rubber' is a shop that sells beach balls/spa pools/rubber seals/foam, in the absence of such a shop, you might have to look for adhesive foam tape at a hardware store (sold for sealing sash
windows) and use strips of that (joins might be a problem). Yoga mat, as suggested, would work well but only if thin (about 3mm?)

Thinking about it again, I now think I used black foam tape from an automotive paint supply store - trimmed to fit, there is only a narrow flange around the 164 rear light so I think it was tape rather than sheet foam. 3M make excellent products - though you don't want double-sided tape on this occasion!

Always good to stock up on foam bits and pieces, contact glue etc. so that you have it on hand when you actually need it, nothing worse than driving all over town looking for $3-worth of foam just to install a speaker or fix a squeak in the centre console, gap in the firewall, etc.

You could of course silicone-seal the lights/light bar in place, but that's apt to make a mess and you can bet the 20-year-old light would get broken the week after you glued it in.

Good luck!
-Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts