Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the TZ2's are fibreglass but were any TZ1's produced with full fibreglass bodies rather than just fibreglass bonnets?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I know Angelo Chiapparini had one, after his death the car was sold to the UK
That would be 750107 then. Would you know to whom it went?

I don't know (at this moment) where 750108 is.

750109 was destroyed in 1965 but miraculously resurfaced recently as a TZ-2 in Hong Kong. Quoting the seller: "The car was last used for some local period race around 1970 in Macao and Australia. The car is in family ownership more than 30 years."

The "macau and australia" part is perfectly in line with the history of 750109 as described in a certain book & website yet it is safe to assume that it was scrapped after it was crashed in 1965.

The history of 750107:
Alfa Romeo Zagato Register & Information Site

750108:

750109:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Late chassis numbers for the TZ

It is important to be very clear and precise about which TZ is being discussed, particularly when it comes to the late chassis numbers in this series. In fact, I would say that a chassis number alone probably is not enough to be certain that you are speaking of the same TZ.

Several of these late TZ's have more than one number on the chassis, one on the left and one on the right ... even though the right side is not an officially recognized location. It may be important to recognize that Autodelta was perhaps not as much a stickler for bureaucratic normalcy as Alfa Romeo normally was? In any case, it is quite likely that some of this was period number play having to do with customs and paperwork that had already been completed when a TZ needed to be substituted late before a shipping deadline.

Some of what has already been mentioned here on this thread is not quite in alignment with data that I've collected over the last many years and this may be because there are additional complications that are truly historic and there may be some complications that are more recent, including some stories that have appeared in print that appear to be based on vague stories. But then, every story may begin a bit vaguely?

Suffice it to say that I have been told of several so-called "replica" versions of some of these TZ and even they might be considered rather wonderful examples. But if you are interested in history ... ??

Best of luck.

John de Boer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts