Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now on to a new GTV project for a customer. And I know I'm going to sound like a hypocrite but this car had to be blasted. There is a great deal of body filler on it, questionable body work and rust. I sat down and talked to the media blasters and explained the rich history of alfa metal to them. They decided that a mixture of media's will be used. Glass bead, granite dust and ash. They promised that panel warping will not happen because this is what they found to work on some special thin gauge airplanes they were working on. They also said when it's time to blast they will call so I can take picture of it.

What do you know, a non-red Alfa! Here it is being dropped off at the blasters.

Oh boy, shes rusty!

They customer how owns this did his homework and found proof that it is supposed to be French Blue and that's what it will be again. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, and the fab work, and the sanding and the painting and the.........

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oh goody.

Please do keep us posted. Your topics are very informative to me, since I can wield a spanner while knowing what I'm doing but bodywork is new territory to me and being an Alfa owner, that is obviously worth working on.

Can't wait to see what happens next. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Wow
I knew they cracked there, but not that much.

·
Administrator
14,446 Posts
spannerman said:
Wow
I knew they cracked there, but not that much.
Thats not a crack ... just one panel has rusted away from the other :(

Pete

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete's right. There are sign of stress, but that's because that whole side is rotted away and what is remaining is weakened.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Akitaman I cannot wait to see your magic on this one! I've been hoping to see some nice photos of a freshly painted French Blue GTV (the one I'm restoring is also French Blue but has been sun blasted down to the factory red oxide primer) so that I can decide whether or not to keep it this colour. Please....keep us posted with pics....hmmm.....how far away is Auburn from Oakville?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Auburn is about 150 miles from Vancouver.... and yeah, I'll do the best I can to keep you posted. It's the least I can do for our maple lov'n brothers of the north!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
while the car is out at the blasters, I did the research to get the color right. The Dupont color library (you need to be a contract customer to access) did not have an up to date code. I know, everybody has paint codes for Alfa's but what you may not know is, if a manufacture does not reproduce that color with current pigments then your old paint code means nothing. Also if any manufacture reproduces that color, then there updated code almost always has a competition match to it. Anyway, Glasurit has reproduced the color. I contacted the Dupont tech support and then, got a Dupont code. As a side note Dupont stated they didn't reproduce the color because of it's extremely low U.S. purchase numbers.

A.R. 342 dead on! If it looks odd it's because of the great camera-phone I used.

BTW, the panel is called a "let-down" panel. It's purpose is to understand a color and how it lays against the style lines of a car.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Once again thanks for the insight into another aspect of the world of autobody paints that I know very (very) little about. That test panel sure seems to show that the Blue Francia is a much lighter shade than I expected. Cant wait to see more!.....

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd enough 1750GT, I think French blue is a more generalized color then we think. This is an EXTREMELY fast TR6 I once owned. I painted it French Blue. This blue is not that close in tone to the AR 342 as one would assume it should be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My car is Lemans Blue, paint code AR348, which looks the same colour as the 105 on the trailer, French Blue is a much darker blue

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice car Andy! The car on the trailer is a far more pail then the picture shows. And the car was repainted with a non Alfa color. The original color was French blue. The customer has documentation from Alfa to confirm this. Also the original color was still inside the door frame. Again Andy, love your car!

Thanks, Daron

·
Registered
33 Posts
It took two years to restore, 3 months on the body work, the rest of the time spent putting it back together :mad: .
I'm a fan of your work.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Just found this thread, cant wait to see the updates.

AndyW - thats a great shot of the outer sill, is that an Alfaholics panel?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
while we are still waiting for the blasters to get done with the car. I shot the trunk with a small change. The customer requested a white sealer. This will shift the hue of the color a little, but will bring the brightness up a bit.

You may notice that the script holes are missing. I welded them up because we are changing to a 1750 script. This trunk was off of a GT 1300 jr. The holes would not line up with the new badge.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A quick question before you get to far into the trunk lid.

It was my understanding that the 1750's and 2000's had the round badge recess and engine size script whereas the Jnr's had the completely flat trunk lid. Am i correct on this detail.?

Thus, to do this change, you will need to use the correct spec lid or at least fabricate the recess.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2000 trunks had deeper recess then 1750's. You are very correct. The jr. had no recess. The owner bought this trunk and doesn't mind that it is different......I think? Good question Adam! I have to meet up with him today. I'll make certain that he doesn't mind. Besides this is just a final practice run. The trunk will be repainted when the car gets painted. Thanks for bringing that up!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Akitaman, that interesting that your client wishes to lighten the Blue hue with the lighter primer colour ...wouldn't that bring him closer to the LeMans Blue hue? So I thought I should finally post a pic of my GTV in the condition that I brought her home in. I believe that the paint is the original paint and as you can see, the Arizona sun and wind have burned away the topcoat colour to expose the original factory red oxide primer.

I'm not a paint expert... so do you think that this darker primer colour would impart a darker shade of blue as well? My personal preferance will be to go darker in the Blue hues (but not a dark as the Olandese Blue of Cor's GTV).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 554 Posts