Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome Ziggy SZ to US

Welcome to the US Alfisti family "Ziggy", a 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato, #550 of 1036 made, with just under 10,000 miles. This fulfills a 25 year itch. Some like the styling (me) and many don't, but you can't argue with the performance. Derived from the Euro 75 Evoluzione racing series (highly tuned Milano Verde's) developed by Alfa Corse and others, this is a slightly detuned version for a bit more comfort and reliability. It is no slushy plush GT touring coupe; well, actually kinda plush for me but definitely not slushy - very firm. In Italy for 4 years then Belgium for 20. It just made it this way after a 10 month wait (so she became US legal >25 y/o) with some rehab work done, like a good thorough PM, new tires, and a re-paint of the red. The original paint jobs were never very good. Also a Squadra Tuning chip for a bit more boost. The cats will go next. At this point I know of 5 in the US (nic Canada - 2) including this one, and I correspond with 2 owners (NY and Houston). Two others are elusive. The NL SZ register and website is very informative LINK. Many thanks to my agent and friend RoRo!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
to me, the best handling/driving alfa of all time...and I like the looks, it is different and unique.
(I have yet to try the 4C or 8C)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Congratulations to owning the last "real" Alfa ... and it is a great car to boot. :grin2: Excuse the pun ...
Funny that Ulrich, I have talked to various folks who nave differing opinions on "the last real Alfa"
- pre-war
- 2600 handmade
- 105's <2L
- last RWD (Milano)
I guess the SZ is the final iteration of the last one and what an iteration and exclamation point it is. Simply no one who has driven one complains.

And speaking of "boot" there is not much of one in this. Enough for the tools, jack, compact spare and a few sheets of paper.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
This will be a super rare masterpiece in the US...people will not have a clue what this is and will come and see it and stare at it when you fuel it up at a gas station or arrive at the Sunday morning cars and coffee meetings...even in Europe it is a rare sight and especially when you are in Italy...big eyeballs all around it.

I own 551.

Btw, mine sits next to a Giallo Ocra 1967 GT 1300 Junior...similar looking to your ex-Colonel Mustard.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plastic Fantastic Ziggy will be at the next CNC and perhaps the Spring tour.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pics, pics, pics. More pics. Note height difference between pic #1 and #2 - the chassis lift was raised in the first photo, ~2". There are 6"x6" Teflon skidpads on the lower outboard sides of the front bumper. In low mode, it is a fist high. The interior shot is not mine but it looks exactly the same - new.

Attachments

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Nice Bruce, really Nice! It doesn't stick out in its surroundings or anything :laugh2:
Where did you get that plate? That is so cool!!!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, it is pretty subtle out in Spicewood. Blends in with all the F150's. So far the 5th in the US. Folks have no idea what they are looking at. Try licenseplates.tv for any combo plate you want. B

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Had it out for a good run the last 2 days after an electrical gremlin shut me down for a while. All OK now. I had the chance to swap and drive a Milano Verde for comparison. No comparison . . . Funny that I had it parked just in front of a popular and very busy millennial haunt on South Congress in the hip mid-town area for an hour while I devoured Home Slice pizza and a tall Lone Star. Hundreds walked by. Not one young person did a double take let alone examining the car. A couple of older guys peeked in. The young-uns just not so into cars? The Alfa crowd debates that a lot here - who will pick up the craft and cars?? Fodder for a different thread perhaps.

Attachments

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Very nice. You have some nice Alfs in your stable. Welcome aboard.

I just confirmed SZ #8 in the US.

See this thread on SZ's in the US: LINK

Recent pic of mine at a local car show; LOTS of interest.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Le Monstre, tres terrifiant!!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A brief update here on the ONE "public" US SZ. I am now aware of 8 here (1 FS) and one on a boat coming (FS). There may be more hiding out? Most are owned by rich and/or very private and/or non-Alfisti collectors. I correspond with several. I have put on about 3500 km (2000 miles) since March 2016 and it is HARD not to put on more. Up from <15k km bought to 18.5k km now. That is about 25% of its lifetime mileage in 5 months (away 2 mos). Still not bad for a 25 y/o car. And, yea, picked up a couple of small rock chips. Fred Frey asked me earlier if I was going to drive it and I replied, "Hell yes". It is just a great drivers car. Has all the usable power you need to get on it and the handling is sublime. It just goes where you point it effortlessly, confidently and quickly. I have never felt uncomfortable in tight or fast turns. I'd like to trackday it some day to see just how hard you have to push it to get it out but there are too many oaksd along the roads here to try that. It is sprung pretty harsh and the seats are pretty spartan under the leather, not at all like a Milano (Verde) at all, and can be downright uncomfortable on rough local back roads. With the cats out it sounds better - a great low grunt above 3500 rpm unlike a modern low capacity turbo engine whoosh. Kinda 454 Stingray-like but not that deep or loud.

I take it out a lot and it always gets head-snaps and photos, and take it to local car shows, club events and tours, and next to the COTA SVRA car show next weekend, and to a Giulia launch party at the dealer for display in Nov. At a big car show recently, the tuners were most interested. They said for a 25 y/o design it looked "slammed" before they invented the word. Most folks think it is a modern car and are shocked to hear the design is 27 y/o. Definitely a good buy.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have done about 30,000 km. in my car, in many different conditions. I drove it from Italy to Holland and back in less than a week, (3.000 km. !). I drove it on tracks (Monza, Imola, Zandvoort, Arese), on motorways and in small country or mountain roads. My car has some peculiarities, such as the rear suspension (it comes from the 75 that ran in the World Championship Tourism in 1988), or a more powerful engine with approximately 1,000 rpm more than the standard SZ. The car always performs very well, has an impressive cornering, especially on wide curves and fast. The car is really neutral, it is hard to obtain oversteering, and if you want it, the car comes back inline alone, without using gas or steering.
The only difficulties are with sharp bends, which is a bit hard to fit in, and especially in case of wet or damp, even more if it's cold. The tires are really important. And avoid to use low gears ....

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, that is NOT a Ferrari sticker. The car resides near Austin, TX. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
It is sprung pretty harsh and the seats are pretty spartan under the leather, not at all like a Milano (Verde) at all, and can be downright uncomfortable on rough local back roads.
Can you elaborate a little more on the difference in driving experience between the SZ and the Milano Verde? Most of us (myself included) have never driven an SZ and are curious to know how the car actually feels different, besides the aesthetics.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts