Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"where your cars will feel like your sofa, with climate controls that keeps you at a cozy 72F regardless of the weather outside .... and you won't feel anything outside of the perception of motion outside the windshield and windows..."

I'm car sitting for a friend, whose '03 Audi A4 3.0 is a good example of my statements above. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine automobile. It's quick, handles really well, and the brakes are phenomenal.

However, after running a 30-minute list of errands for my wife I summed it up to this:

"that car cheated me of 30 minutes of driving"

I must be old fashioned. I really didn't feel like I drove anywhere. I hardly heard the motor. I see the tachometer rise, as does the speedometer and a distant rumble as the car catapults me towards the next traffic light. Weird.

I told my wife about this. And she said, "well, that's actually one of the more tactile cars you'll find on the roads today." I believe her. I rode in my friend's new 330ci and it was even more dead than the A4. At least you can hear -something- in the A4. The 330ci has no voice at all. Oh, and it rattles on potholes, which the A4 doesn't do.

Then there's my boss' M5 ('01). A bit more rumbly thanks to the V8 under the hood but on top of being 'dead', it's 'dead heavy'. You can't toss the thing without a bootfull of gas if you want to have any momentum around a corner .... and if you don't have traction control turned on you've just spun around facing back to where you came from.

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Manufacturers claim this is what 'we' want. We want flying carpets I guess.

There is some respite from this, however. New Alfas, while having to succumb to this sort of market has managed to rebel a bit and allow noises and feedback to enter the cabin (which is also why it cannot steal sales from other makes is my guess). The new 156 2.0TS Selespeed that I drove was still fun, although more muted than my 75. I believe reviewers of the new 156GTA and 147GTA also comment on feedback being strongest in those than their competitors.

Problem is, none of them are for sale here.

Sorry for the rant. I just felt cheated by our 'car' destiny and had to share.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Haven't driven the new Audi A4 yet.
But I had been cheated by the last generation A4, and I thought the new one is supposingly more "involved".

Talking about sounds, anybody has a sound clip of a nicely tuned Alfa engine?

I'm so sick of my friends' new M3s, the one with the OE muffler sounds like a broken bass speaker. The one with Supersprint sounds like the engine is disintegrating (with some high pitch ping ping sound) inside the muffler.

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I agree but...

I'm with you, the audi's are remarkable car's, great handling, quiet etc etc. But the car definitly cheats you, but it's still nice. Sometime's I wish my gtv was as quiet as a A4 (ex. comming back from a long trip, track event etc.). Also when it's come's down to it, at least for me, I don't like a perfect handling car. Don't get me wrong my GTV handle's pretty good, but I like to work the car, do the Alfa Dance!

p.s. Sometime's I get so fed up with driving around the city, I wish I had a automatic.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sniady - the new A4's are 'more involved' than the old ones. However, that's all relative.

Drive the new Maxima. It's deader than the A4. The new M3's are rowdy alright, but I have to spend close to $70K to feel the road? They are also h-e-a-v-y!!

Realize that this is a rant. Things are not going to get better (lighter, more communicative, etc). With impact zone regulations, 5 mph bumpers, airbags, OBD-II, fly-by-wire, ABS, EBD, DSC, and other crapola in a car, I don't expect the driving to get any funner.

Cars will be made to get from A to B quickly and efficiently. The only driving experience you will get will be on the TV ads showing a fun-loving young executive shifting his "sports car" down a lonely country road that had to be shut down on a weekend for the filming.

I guess I'm lucky I keep my 75 and 164 in good shape that I can still enjoy my drive to the office. Well, as long as I can afford the gas that is!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
nizam said:
With impact zone regulations, 5 mph bumpers, airbags, OBD-II, fly-by-wire, ABS, EBD, DSC, and other crapola in a car, I don't expect the driving to get any funner.
Consider the new Elise is going to be the lightest vehicle on sale in the States, it's still a lot heavier than the one in Europe due to all the DOT regulations. Sigh...

:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts