Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh...talk about a frustrating day. The idle on my 89 spider was a little high...so I decided to adjust it. I got it right at 950....turned the engine off. Pulled the vacuum hose off the idle valve to access the locknut....tightened the locknut....put the vacuum hose back on. Went to start the car and it would barely run! Now I cannot get the car to idle any faster than 600 RPM. The weird thing is...if I now loosen the idle valve...the car runs worse and eventually will stall.

What have I done! haha I'm thinking the vacuum line might have cracked when I took it off...or maybe I compressed the o-ring in the bottom of the idle valve too much?

So bummed out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
False alarm! Somehow the rubber intake coupling slipped off the bottom of the TB. Who ever worked on the car before lost the two bolts that hold the middle section of the air plenum in place...I'm guessing this allowed it to move around when I was working in the engine bay.

Don't underestimate the power of a vacuum leak!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew! Glad your fix was easy. (but did it really take you ~2 hours to find it?)
Haha no...took me about an hour of swearing, and once I figured out I had an air leak...only took me a few minutes to find it. I'm a weekend mechanic at best...and I only have 3 months experience with Alfas :)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Two hours is well within the acceptable range. It takes me that long to get organized, depending on distractions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts