Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Alfetta about a year ago and since I've had it I can't fill the tank more than 3/4 full. Pump just shuts off and thats it! Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My GTV6 does that too but I keep going and sometimes it overflows, so you have to be little careful.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
3/4 full according to the dash gauge or ? If the gauge - I'd pull and check the sender float in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
there is a fuel pressure relief valve near the pump which is also connected to the return line from engine and then to tank. It is possible that when tank is full, there is enough back pressure to affect the function of the pressure relief valve, and then overload the fuel pump, causing it to shut down.

also, might want to jump the inertia switch to eliminate it from the circuit.

as far as I know, no other direct electrical pump-tank-line connections it runs wired directly to ignition switch-to fuse 8, to inertia switch, to pump

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I think he meant the gas station pump shuts off as if the tank is full?

·
Registered
396 Posts
When fueling my wife's brand new Toyota Yaris, the fuel pump used to cut out every 2 sec, when installed correctly (all the way in). We solved this issue by withdrawing the pistol by about an inch or so, leaving a small gap; then the tank filled without any problems. You are not supposed to do this (because of fuel vapour or what not), but who'd bear to click-click-click their way towards a full tank?! Try it with the Alfetta, it can't hurt (too much).

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
I hold the gas filler upside down and I get at least another gallon and a half in. If you hold it the other way it splashes back and shuts it off.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
DOh, then much easier to fix...lay the car on the right side and you can fill to the very top of the hose...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh! The bummer is that i am a contractor. Here in Pittsburgh a local grocery store gives you 10 cents off fuel for every $50- you spend there. Up to 30 gallons. I buy 2 or 3 thousand dollars of gift cards for Home Depot or Lowes and get my 30 gallons for free. So my wife pulls up her 164 and I pull up the Alfetta and voila! free fuel. Or fill up my work truck. Last time I took a 5 gallon gas can to make up for the Alfetta's malady.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I hold the gas filler upside down and I get at least another gallon and a half in. If you hold it the other way it splashes back and shuts it off.
1970 and 80' Italian automotive technology meets new millennium fuel vapor recovery technology.

Been there done that everytime at fill up. Try explaining that “invert the nozzle thing” to a kid filling up your tank who wasn't born in the 80s. (Crazy Oregon Law forbids owners to fill their own fuel tanks)

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
new jersey had that same law for a while too...I kinda miss the days of the 'bell' hose and gas attendant checking my oil......

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If I don't end up driving my Alfetta into a brick wall, (jump out at the last minute), replacing that idiotic gas tank is high on my list. It is, quite simply, a really stupid, stupid design that traps air so that you can't get it all the way full without a lot of fiddling, that, more than once, has had me spraying gas all over the place including on me. :eek:

The funny thing is that the stupid tank deal only seems to afflict some of the cars. My other two Alfettas filled up no problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My Milano is the same way. Sometimes different stations seem to work better. Sometimes I cant fill the tank up without the pump handle clicking at least 100 times. Sometimes it fills right up to the 3/4 full brim.

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,781 Posts
In So Calif I discovered there are 2 pump handle types:
Healey and VS1. The VS1 works perfectly on my Alfetta GT and Milano.
Unfortunately the Healey is the more popular. It always gives me the irritating click off problems, even sometimes it won't operate when I hold the handle up side down.
The VS1 is newer and I remember that there was a problem with the lock on operation so that part was removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts